News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 08:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Junkyard t/c project?! Squeeee! (。>ω<)ノ  (Read 3076 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Junkyard t/c project?! Squeeee! (。>ω<)ノ
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
I'm trying to make my Eagle a bit more modern and I was told there's this magical place up North in Olympia that might be able to help me out. So I went out to Pick-A-Part and was asking the guy if he had any old Jeeps in the lot. I go out and see a TON of cars out there and in one lot just 4 Jeeps. Two of them looked heavily picked but they all look amazing. Two stood out to me: A 95 Laredo because of the weird color and an 84 Cherokee because of the woodgrain style. Anyway, these two donor vehicles had three things in common: They had the :amc: JEEP stamp in the engine cavity, the engines were picked apart quite a bit and I noticed a second floor shifter in both of them. Looking underneath them the drivelines were missing but they both had NP229 transfer cases and in perfect looking shape! (;゚Д゚)

One had an automatic(unknown because of V6 engine and missing shiftpan) and the other was a 4SPD manual(probably AX4). I might grab the clutch pedal later for a manual transmission swap but I'm wondering about that transfer case at the moment. My Eagle uses the NP129 and I'm wondering what this would be like if I had a 229 in there. It looks like it would bolt up just fine. The only thing that leaves me curious is that floor shifter.

Would this be a good swap and what ALL would I have to pull to do it? I saw a few other jeeps that had this floor shifter but it looked like a different design. I'm confused what I should get. At the very least, I'm going out there again. That place is like Christmas on jackstands...(。◕ω◕。)

TL;DR: I want to swap my NP129 with a NP229. Feasible? Y/N?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Junkyard t/c project?! Squeeee! (。>ω<)ノ
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
I think you mean 85 not 95. There wouldn't be an AMC symbol nor a NP229 or 4 speed manual in a 95. Search NP229 swap. I have one in mine. It is not a bolt in like others have said. It needs some extra work to go in but if you intend on going offroad and need a low range, it will do the trick.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35761.0

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35890.0
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:15:59 PM »
I think you might be right. I need to get photos next time. These things look sweet. :)

I saw only a handful of Jeeps and they all had the AMC logo except one that had the Chrysler print. Now that I think harder about it that might have been it. It was a little hard to navigate around that yard and take note of what I want when I return. Still, this kind of shock is super exciting. I'm not sure if I need the low range anytime soon but if I'm going up Snoqualmie pass I know I'm going to get stuck and I'd prefer to have the super low gear instead of nothing at all. I don't have a winch and I shouldn't need one so soon. I want an Eagle that has overdrive for the freeway and an ultra low t/c gear in the rare case I get stuck. My current goal isn't to make my car a solid road machine but an excessively capable one. I know most people would just tell me to get a Jeep like normal people but I wanna see all of that in a car body. Also, thanks for the data. This looks fun. :)
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
  like normal people 
If you were normal, you be here in the first place.  :hello2:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk