News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 09:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lifted Eagle field test and R&D  (Read 21717 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Lifted Eagle field test and R&D
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »
Wonder if that difference could be made up by fabbing up new tube upper control arms to compensate the drop?
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
There was a member a few years back that had some custom arms made by a guy who worked at Orange County Chopper. Unfortunately, the info was lost in the great delete. I don't remember his user name but he was out of NY. I wish someone would have saved the pics of the suspension and info. This is the only pic I have of the car.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »
I remember seeing pictures of the car, never the suspension set up though, good to know, that it "could" be an option as well.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
The control arm idea was something I considered as well.  My deciding factor was I am all about making things serviceable.  The less custom things you have to make and the more available service parts you can use the better.  This is why I modified the knuckle.  Now I can still buy ball joints from any parts store and control arm bushings from any parts store.  Messing with the suspension system and steering can lead to all kinds of issues driving the car.  Many of us can cut and weld but not many of us have engineering backgrounds or the tooling to make accurate parts like control arms. 

I'm not trying to stifle ideas but I wanted to share my thought process.     
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »
I was thinking new upper arms would also take care of one of the weak points
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »
I was thinking new upper arms would also take care of one of the weak points

Which weak points are you referring to??
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
I've bent a couple upper arms while errmm... jumping my first wagon (did the same in a few Hornets I drove around the back 40)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 01:18:30 AM »
I've bent a couple upper arms while errmm... jumping my first wagon (did the same in a few Hornets I drove around the back 40)

Okay now we're getting to the bottom of the issue ;)  If we're talking jumping, off roading or anything of that nature, my lift will not work.  Absolutely building some longer tubular control arms is the way to go, and using some coilovers or something. 

Not to go off on another rant or sounding like I am on my soap box but here it goes...

I have worked in shops and worked in aftermarket parts and in a machine shop so I have seem many sides of the automotive world.  The thing that has to happen when a project is started is the vehicle owner needs to be very real with themselves.  You have to know what you are looking to do with the vehicle and how much you have to spend and how much effort you have to put into the project.  Trying to sell parts to a person that wants to go hardcore desert racing but also drive the car to work is going to have to compromise. 

I built my setup because I wanted to prove a concept, retain the IFS and have a daily drivable vehicle.  I think I have obtained that... minus a few kinks that need worked out. 

Sorry for the rant but I get frustrated on behalf of others who walk down a path and run out of money or end up with a vehicle that isn't what they want. 

Point being.  I think my design is durable enough to be a basis for your project "Jumping Wagon" (I like how that sounds) but I would work on tubular control arms, coil overs, and you will need to find some longer CVs.  If you are in AK I would even be willing to help you build it.  This was my original idea for my car but I got "real" with myself and decided I wanted a driver and I didn't have the time or desire to have a dedicated off road eagle. 

Anyway.  Just some thoughts for the day. 
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
Good point on "able to get off the shelf" parts availability. That would be something to take into consideration while building a custom arm, bushings would be a breeze, the ball joint however, are the eagles press in or the rivet/bolt in type? If they're the bolt in type, it would work wonders....Of course I also agree with the point of building tubular arms wouldn't be a task for the faint of heart so to speak,  ;) , lol., too many factors come into paly, and there's not much room for error.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »

Okay now we're getting to the bottom of the issue ;)  If we're talking jumping, off roading or anything of that nature, my lift will not work.  Absolutely building some longer tubular control arms is the way to go, and using some coilovers or something. 

Not to go off on another rant or sounding like I am on my soap box but here it goes...

I have worked in shops and worked in aftermarket parts and in a machine shop so I have seem many sides of the automotive world.  The thing that has to happen when a project is started is the vehicle owner needs to be very real with themselves.  You have to know what you are looking to do with the vehicle and how much you have to spend and how much effort you have to put into the project.  Trying to sell parts to a person that wants to go hardcore desert racing but also drive the car to work is going to have to compromise. 

I built my setup because I wanted to prove a concept, retain the IFS and have a daily drivable vehicle.  I think I have obtained that... minus a few kinks that need worked out. 

Sorry for the rant but I get frustrated on behalf of others who walk down a path and run out of money or end up with a vehicle that isn't what they want. 

Point being.  I think my design is durable enough to be a basis for your project "Jumping Wagon" (I like how that sounds) but I would work on tubular control arms, coil overs, and you will need to find some longer CVs.  If you are in AK I would even be willing to help you build it.  This was my original idea for my car but I got "real" with myself and decided I wanted a driver and I didn't have the time or desire to have a dedicated off road eagle. 

Anyway.  Just some thoughts for the day. 

I'm down here in Seattle, but I know the road conditions in AK fairly well (I drove the Haul rd to Valdez several times in winter conditions back in the '70s when I worked on the pipeline as a welder. Not for the feint of heart! No GPS back then either)
   Your design is similar to how Cam Brown (Flying with V8 Eagles) and I (separately) figured out how to do it back in the '90s. We met on the net and found out he was right around the corner from my ex-wife!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »
Hey guys.  I haven't posted on my own thread in a while on my lifted car R&D.  I have since driven to Fairbanks and still use the vehicle as a daily driver.  My front end looseness issues have been solved for the most part.  I still have a little play in the wheel (normal for conventional steering) and some popping coming from the left side of the car while backing.  I am still looking to replace the lower control arm bushing on that side to handle that issue.  Over the winter I developed some oil leaks.  Oil pan, possibly rear main, trans input, and front shaft output are leaking.  I am working on motivation to pull the trans and reseal it and at the same time sealing the oil pan.  I am still fighting a gearing issue and I have located a replacement rear axle but am still trying to find the front needed for the 3.55.

The next big plan is the Prudhoe  Bay drive next summer.  There is a separate thread out for that.   
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk