News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: axle sliding out?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
axle sliding out?
« on: December 04, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
This is on my 84' Limited Wagon

I was at work today and I noticed my rear wheel center cover was coming off so I gave it a good smack to put it back in place and soon realized that it wouldn't go on because the bolt/nut that is in the center is pushed out too far. It looks pretty rusted and the pin is still holding the nut in place. Any ideas of what could be causing this? I know it hasn't always been this way because I've had both rear wheels off before. I haven't had a chance to get it up in the air and look at it yet but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen before.

Wish me luck on the ride home.
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: axle sliding out?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »
Its a broken axle shaft. Don't drive it. The wheel could come off.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:54:08 PM »
Well I made it home (about 9 miles). Do you think theres any chance it could be ANYTHING else? Fried Bearing maybe? I'm about half deaf and there isn't much for exhaust on this thing so I probably wouldn't have heard it anyway.

I'll be tearing it apart this weekend to get a better idea of whats going on. I've been looking around online to see if there is any availability on axles and came up with nothing. Any Ideas?
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »
best option is finding a used one from junkyard and or vendor, try ebay.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »
What did you find out?  Broken axle shaft after all?
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk