News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 16, 2024, 08:55:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Headlights might as well be blinkers  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Headlights might as well be blinkers
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
The headlights in my 83 eagle wagon have started blinking, again  :banghead: It has happened before so I replaced the headlight switch and it seamed to solve the issue. Now it has happened again, I have not added aftermarket headlights or anything to strain the system. I did not wire them in but have tried to trace the wires with very little luck. I have replaced the relays with heavy duty 30amp relays thinking that it may help no such luck. They seam to work if I unplug two of the four headlights ???. Other wise they stay on for a few minutes then begin to blink either while idling or while driving. Please any help would be great. I have read the other threads on this matter but due to the fact that I'm no good at wiring I'm a little lost.

rohnk

Re: Headlights might as well be blinkers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
I looked at the diagram in the Eaglepedia and I happend to think of a couple of things. First, which headlights did you remove that made the other two work okay, the high beam or low beam? If you took out the high beam, it is possible that something is wrong with the diode pack that goes from the switch. If the diode is shorted or "burning out" then it could cause the circuit to try and trip between high and low beam which will eventually burn out the switch. Second, only the high beam are connected to this diode pack as it appears on the diagram so if the low beams work without the high beams plugged in, that may be your culprit. Otherwise, a bad ground connection or corrosion on the terminals.

It appears that the green wire on the diagram is the high beam select line to activate the high beams and/or fog lamps.

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »
I have the two center lights unplugged at the moment. I do believe that both sets have a high and low setting. I do know that the switch is getting extremely hot. 

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
How do you know the switch is getting hot?

I'm thinking two things here:
1. Fusible links on the starter relais, wiggle these wires with the lights on or feel which one is getting hot.
2. Bad ground T9, you will find this ground point on the firewall on drivers side near the brake booster. This is a notorious bad ground, clean the contacts and put a little vaseline on the contact before putting the nut back on.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »
I had the switch removed from the dash. the lights just stopped working at one point. But all other light still had power ??? So I hard wired the lights to have power from the running lights. Been running like this for months. Just had the light switch start smoking :censored: pulled the wires of burning myself on the melting plastic wiring harness. Luckily I had two other switches in my tool bag. I directly attached the brass connectors to the correct terminals on the switch. Haven't had an issue sense.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk