News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seller for 2100/2150 Motorcraft Carb conversion  (Read 33763 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Seller for 2100/2150 Motorcraft Carb conversion
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
NOTE:  THIS ISN'T FROM ME.  THIS IS FROM AN EBAYYY SELLER:

===================================================

THIS IS THE BEST KIT I HAVE TO OFFER...  If you are unsure what you need, this kit will work.  If you have an emissions test, this is the kit you MUST have. 

What am I offering?

I am offering the ultimate budget solution to end all headaches of the crappy-butt Carter BBD, 2bbl carb, piece of junk, garbage carbs.  This 2100/2150 swap will work on all JEEP/AMC/EAGLE 258's w/ any 2 bbl carb set up.  If you have the 232, 302, 304, 360, etc... I can set one up special for you.  This upgrade will improve idle, response, starting, cold starting, acceleration, and MPG.  This carb will not stutter and cut out like the Carters are known for.  If you can get fuel to it, it will run at very extreme angles.  I can build you a carb best for wheelin' or for use as a daily driver, OR both.  If you are looking for improved gas mileage over everything else, let me know and I will jet it accordingly.  You will see gains all around with this setup. I live in a very strict emissions area and have never had a problem passing both visual and tail-pipe testing.  I have sold many kits to CA residents and have heard of no e-test complications. This carb will blow cleaner than a fouling Carter.  You will have the option to retain your EGR, spark advance, charcoal canister, etc.  You will also have a chance during the install to eliminate miles of vacuum lines that will be unnecessary with the new set up.  I receive emails regularly from my customers who passed through emissions testing with ease.  If you are in a very strict emissions environment and need to keep your factory air cleaner housing, no worries.  I provide instructions on how to adapt it to the new carburetor...

I have personally installed 200+ of these and have sold many, many more online just through various BBS's (I have recently surpassed the 10,000 mark on kits sold)  It is easy enough for an average person to install with average tools and knowledge.  My included instructions are over 300MB (and growing) and are full of step-by-step instructions complete with digital pictures.  You do not have to have any mechanical experience to install one of my kits...
I will assist you in any way that I can for however long it takes you to get it done.  This is an afternoon project for the average Joe.    AND...  If you are in the area of Colorado Springs, CO, I will do one better.  I will install the carb for you.  Details to be worked out on a case by case basis....

A quick note on fuel economy:  I am at 6500' elevation.  My 1st upgrade a few years back was my personal 79 J-10 truck with a fresh 258 from an 86 YJ.  I went from 7-8MPG (and it couldn't get out of its own way on the highway) to an average of 12-14MPG with a lot of power.  I am not promising you doubled MPG, but I receive at least 2 emails every month of my customers exceeding 20MPG after installing my kit.  The highest report I have received was 23MPG on a 1990 Wrangler at sea level.  Customer claimed to have a 5MPG increase. If you are already getting 16, 17, 18...  miles per gallon, I wouldn't expect HUGE mpg gains (Though power and efficiency will be there) but if you are struggling at the pump, I can help. (This of course is assuming you have half way consistent compression and a decent performing ignition system)

What is included in the kit?

INCLUDED--Freshly rebuilt Motorcraft 2100/2150 carb.  Freshly built and upgraded by me. All necessary modifications will be done, air mixtures will be pre-set to a base setting and the carb will contain the correct power valve and jets for your exact setup. 

INCLUDED--Proper base plate adapter.  As you may know, this install requires a difficult to find (or make) adapter.  They are out there, but be careful, they are not all the same.  Due to the lack of a quality product available over the shelf, we have designed our own adapters and have them C&C milled locally.  You will not find a better base adapter for this application.

INCLUDED--Proper fitting base gaskets for the install.

INCLUDED--Proper throttle linkage.  I offer a bracket that will convert the rear pulling Motorcraft carb to a downward pulling carb.  Your Carter pulls down and my bracket will utilize your existing, factory linkage.  I also offer a direct pull (rear pull) linkage that converts your Jeep to a rear-pulling throttle.  You pick which one you want, and I will build your setup accordingly. IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION YOU WILL NEED THE DOWNWARD PULLING THROTTLE LINKAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  On some late model CJ's that have power brakes (large brake booster) you will have to use the down pull linkage as well as the brake booster will be in the way.  This is not an issue with YJ's.  If you are unsure, go with the down pull linkage.  Simple and ready to go
INCLUDED--All hardware required to mount the new carb and adapter to your intake. (nuts/bolts/washers/specialty parts/etc)

INCLUDED--INSTRUCTIONS INSTRUCTIONS INSTRUCTIONS I have searched long and hard for all of the best information so I can provide the best set of instructions for this install.  I have compiled very good Word and PDF documents covering everything you should need.  I update this almost daily I find new/better solutions or verbiage.  I will include the same instructions I use AND I will include my updates and problem work-arounds that I found to be pretty common.  (My home # is in there too) These instruction files are HUGE, and yes, easy to follow with step by step instructions and pictures.  The instructions are written for the average Joe and when printed, are over 60 pages by themselves.  They will take you through the complete process of removing the old carb. all the way through tuning the new one.

INCLUDED--Support.  Nothing more to say here.  I will support you in any way that I can. I learned my lessons the hard way and with that being said, I don't see any reason why any one else should have to.  I will make this as easy as possible for both of us.  I will provide email support and phone support if needed.  Heck, bring it to me and I will show you 1st hand.  Check my feedback concerning support.

INCLUDED--Throttle return spring bracket.  Pre-built and ready to install....  I just started including this due to popular request from buyers.  (See, I listen to your feedback emails)

OPTIONAL--New, in the box, chrome air cleaner kit and filter.  This kit is $32 off the shelf.  I will include one for an additional $25.  I am no longer including the 9" filter due to fitment problems on some Jeeps.  Instead I will include a smaller one with more clearance AND I will throw in a free FRAM crank case breather.  You will get both filters for $25.  Your factory air cleaner will NOT fit the new carb without modification.  I also include instructions on how to modify the factory air cleaner setup to fit if you should so desire to keep it.

OPTIONAL--As stated above, I will give you the choice between a downward pulling throttle linkage, or a rear-pull, direct linkage.  You choose.  No additional fee.  The downward-pulling linkage consists of a lever added onto the MC2100 converting it from a rear pull carburetor, to a downward pulling carburetor that will use your existing throttle linkage setup.  The rear-pull bracket allows a direct cable connection to the carb.  This will include a bolt on bracket and will allow you to eliminate even more "stuff" under the hood.  Both are straight forward installs and are covered in the instructions.  If you have an automatic transmission you MUST have the down pull linkage........  Manual transmissions can use either one.  NOTE:  1983-1986 CJ's with power brakes (Large brake booster) must also use the down pull linkage.  The brake booster is too large and will be in the way of the rear pulling linkage.

OPTIONAL--2 Choke options. (Well, actually 3) Again, this is a personal preference to most people.  The Motorcraft 2100 carburetor and the Carter BBD share a VERY similar choke housing.  To retain your Carter's original electric choke, you only need to remove it from the Carter, reverse the internal temperature coil, and screw it into the Motorcraft carb.  I will include all mounting hardware to do so.  Every setup is a little different, but making this swap requires no real skill. If you need an electric choke, I will include one for $22.  Just add it to the total cost or to the shipping and slip me a note.  It will be there, and it will be pre-installed.  If you prefer a manual choke conversion, add $15 to the total amount and I will include a new manual choke kit with cable and I will modify the carburetor for you.  You will just need to pick the one you are comfortable with. 

OPTIONAL--TFI distributor upgrade.  Some call it the Juice Box, this is everything you need for the distributor swap.  Cap, adapter, rotor, plug wires, coil, wire, instructions and mounting hadware.  This is a VERY simple upgrade and has been proven on and off-road to be one of the best.  It is an excellent mate for your new carb and will deliver a great ammount of reliable spark  ($85).

OPTIONAL- 1bbl to 2bbl base adapter.  Even if you have a 1bbl intake manifold, I can build a great kit for you.  This is an additional adapter and will adapt the 2bbl carburetor to your 1bbl intake.  Very simple to do and everything will be there if needed.  ($30)

What I don't provide:

--Common sense.  'nuf said.  I will help you in any way that I can.  If you decide to pull out the blow torch and duct-tape after a 12 pack, I can't and won't hold myself responsible.  (But I'll still help you fix it when you sober up a bit...) 

Every install is different to some degree.  I provide the most basic, simple, complete kit as I can.  I include a basic modified throttle linkage that might need to be lengthened or shortened a bit to fit your needs.  All Jeeps are different.  ESPECIALLY once someone (not you of course) has decided that they were smarter than all of the million dollar/year techs that designed the vacuum/emissions systems in the 1st place and capped "stuff" off and randomly removed components.  I will teach you what needs to be there and what doesn't.  I will explain the difference between ported vac and manifold vac and help you determine where your vacuum and vapor canister lines need to go.  I will provide the info for the ever popular "ECM Test" bypass or "IGNITO" bypass to eliminate your computer feedback to/from the Carter.  Please remember that the 2100 is a balls-out manual carb.  No computer required for operation. 

Just a side note, FORD produced this GREAT carb for over 25 years with very little change.  They put it on EVERYTHING, big or small, fast or slow.  AMC adopted a larger version of the 2100 for their V-8's....  You can't beat it.

Any questions, please ask.

Common questions:

Q:  I have 1976 jeep Cherokee with 258 and 1 barrel carb, would I have to change my intake?

A:  You can either purchase a used manifold OR a 1bbl to 2bbl adapter plate. It's a pretty common plate. I sell the adapter plate for $30 and the 2bbl intakes for $80.  The intakes are used.  Please ask if I have any on hand before ordering one.

Q:  will this carb fit 1990 YJ wrangler with a 4.2?

A:  Yes it will fit a 90. (See pictures) There are a couple more steps for the 84-90 rigs, but I include all of the instructions and they are VERY easy to follow

Q:  Hey, I have a 89 258 already converted from the carter to a Webber but the Webber seems to be garbage as it has been fine tuned and still running very very rich. As being my question is, is the conversion process easier for me? and I am a MA resident any one you sell in MA pass emissions? I am interested just need to find out some definites as I could spend a few more dollars and get a brand new Weber... what’s your view point? Thanks a lot... Kris from Massachusetts

A:  MA emissions shouldn't be a problem. I have sold several kits to replace the Webbers. The Webbers are great carbs, but are difficult to tune. The MC 2100 is VERY easy to tune even for a non-mechanical person. Even changing the jets is a 3 minute job with 1 screw driver. I pass strict CO emissions and have sold over 10 kits to CA residents w/ no complaints. MA should be a synch...

Q:  I like the sounds of your solution to my Carter Crap.. I have a 1977 CJ7, automatic, with power brakes.... I was originally going to go with a Offy intake and Holley, but was I was told I wouldn't have enough clearance because of the brake booster pushes the master cylinder out to far....I saw in one of your pictures (your j10) that it has a booster. Also, what does your linkage include? Thanks

A:  Yes, this kit will clear the brake booster.  The linkage includes everything needed to install it. The only thing you have to do is drill one hole where the included throttle link ball goes. I can also set it up to convert your throttle to a rear pulling linkage and you will have a direct connection to the throttle (just like a Mustang)  You choose and I will set it up.  Both are easy to install.  I just did a 77 w/ automatic... Ran exceptionally well. 

NOTE 1:  I will still build custom setups if you want a strictly off road application or if you have special needs.  If you are watching this item, and it sells and I do not have another one listed, send me an email and I will notify you when I list more.  Sometimes, I have 3 or 4 ready at a time, sometimes I have 1.  SOMETIMES even when I have 3, I sell them all in a 6 hour period.  I will never stop building these kits, but sometimes I have a 5-day lag in re-listing them.

NOTE 2:  This kit is a HUGE improvement over the stock Carter setup.  In my experience, this is also an improvement over the Webber conversion.  I have replaced many Webbers with my kits and have had very satisfied customers.  I have also replaced a few aftermarket fuel injection setups for frustrated owners.   The ease of tuning this carb is worth the swap alone.  I get asked a lot of emission testing/legality questions on this conversion, and here is my answer:  I live in a very strict emissions tested region.  I have passed 2 personal Jeeps through the E-test and passed both a visual inspection and the blow test.  We are tested at idle and at 3000 RPM.  The 2100 passed where the carter failed.  I don't know emission laws for everyone, but I can say that I have sold conversion kits to almost every region in this country including over 10 to California, and haven't heard of anyone being forced to remove their setup.  A side note to that would be that I don't guarantee this to be a one stop shop, cure-all, fix everything wrong with your rig purchase.  It will be a great improvement, but if you have other electrical or mechanical problems, you need to fix those too.  I will include information on MANY other simple upgrades including the ever popular HEI distributor upgrade.  I highly recommend this upgrade as a companion to the carburetor conversion.  They compliment one another very well.

Please contact me at:  [email protected]

The sellers ebay Member id ehrmannmp

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Seller for 2100/2150 Motorcraft Carb conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:03:41 AM »
This is Gronk's, right?    Great guy and he is a member here.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
Yes, that is Gronk here on the forums now.  He's gonna be a great help to all members.  It's good to have him here.

I would also like to mention that he has a HEI upgrade, and I'm trying to get info, write-up, and pics so I can post that as well. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:26:30 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline KyleB.

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
I just did the HEI Mod.  Killer.
No more ICM!
Next up: Gronks MotorCraft.  :occasion14:

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
Kyle, your kit shipped yesterday.  Took a little longer than planned but it's nice and shiney.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:06:09 AM by Whuntmore »
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline KyleB.

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »
Received and installed the MC 2150 carb Monday.  It took about 30 minutes to convert my car from a sputtering turd to a smooth idling machine.
The adapters and gaskets all matched and fit perfectly, no clearance issues with the MC carb and the down pull throttle linkage is like OEM.
The carb is so clean it was tough to believe that is was a reman. Everything looks new.
My car now starts without goosing the throttle and holds an idle like never before.
Simply put, if you are tired of trying to squeeze every last bit of performance with your carter equip'd eagle....toss it in the trash, toss the old distributor and ICM in on top of the Carter.  Get an HEI Dizzy, and get one of Gronk's carb kits.  You will not be sorry.
Kyle B. in Neb. City.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
Awesome KyleB!!!  Another notch on the belt.  Post some pics or send me some via email.  I'd like to see the carb installed.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

rohnk

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
Where you able t ouse your stock air cleaner or did you go aftermarket on it? Pics would be good too please.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
With the hood clearance on the Eagles, it's a little difficuly to mod th factory air cleaner to fit unless you can weld.  There are some great 2 and 4bbl actory air cleaners from other vehicles that will work nicely but the easiest way is to just run an open element.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 03:28:10 PM »
Another great alt to the HEI install is the TFI distributor upgrade.  Both are awesome and simple.  The TFI is quite a but easier and faster.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline KyleB.

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:49:03 PM »
Where you able t ouse your stock air cleaner or did you go aftermarket on it? Pics would be good too please.

Didn't even try. I used what Gronk suggested during our conversations when I was considering going with a MC. He is willing to make deals on a package setup.
It turned out really nice.  Everything fits perfectly.
I used to have this phobia at gas stations that my 'Wag wasn't going to start when I was ready to leave because it struggled getting started when it was warmed up.  Not any more!! Starts with no pedal now.

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
I got my carb kit last week.  Finally got to work on it Friday.  It went in so easy that I was convinced I'd missed something.  The Eagle fired up and sat there and idled flawlessly oh its own without me having to sit and goose the gas for 15 minutes.  I went back through the instructions to be sure I hadn't missed something which I hadn't.  I then proceded to clean up the various non-functioning vacuum lines and parts.   The only things I'd like to see explained a bit simpler has to do with the vacuum connections.  Some of that is still a bit fuzzy.  Tracing the myriad of lines throughout the engine bay is and adventure and owing to the fact that the instructions are for a jeep and not an eagle take a little more thought and research since there are some extra vacuum lines on the eagle that the jeep doesn't have.  I still need to do the distributor rewire and then I'm done.   The car runs SO MUCH better than before, just no comparison whatsoever.  Money well spent.  Now I'm off to fix the brakes.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »
Vac lines made simple:

You need your distributor plumbed directly to the ported vacuum on the carb.  No T's, no splits...

You need your PCV valve plumbed directly to the large manifold port on the base of the carburetor.  No T's, no splits.

Your 4x4 vac requires a direct connection to manifold vacuum.  I recommend the port on the intake just below the carb that is shared w/ the brake booster.

Do the N U T T E R B Y P A S S and set your timing and you are done...  Set the timing at 650RPM.  

Base timing is 8-9deg, a 1deg for every thousand foot increase in elevation.  (EX:  set your timing at 12-13deg/650RPM at 4000' elevation)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:01:56 AM by Whuntmore »
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »
Can anyone say "spell check?"
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
Can anyone say "spell check?"

SPELL CHECK!!!!

I've also posted this in the Eaglepedia.  Gronk, if you have anymore write-ups you want posted (you can include pics) in the eaglepedia, just pm me, Or I can give you my email to send them there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:03:36 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 11:22:29 PM »
Thanks Gronk for the short & sweet version of Vacuum plumbing.  The  car has never run better, I'm pleased with the install.  Now I've got to replace the brake master cylinder. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
In Jeeps (old and new) I alwayd use MC's and boosters from Jeep YJ's.  They are inespensive, easy to find and simple to install even when they were not the original setup.  Never tried in an Eagle though.

I have MANY more carbs ready to build and ship out.  Spread the word brother. 
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline Concordcruiser

• Concordcruiser
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Not an Eagle but...
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
Hi everybody,

I am living in France and I am back on the forum.  I worked a lot to install a 2100 from a jeep on my Concord 1980. It works well. The carb is a 1.08. But i have a problem: the auto trans does not work properly. The auto trans don't want to change from 1st speed to 2nd speed; i already install the pull down throttle linkage especially for auto trans.
How to set up the throttle linkage ? Can you help me ?
 ;)
Welcome in an AMC world.                            AMC Concord 1980 DL Wagon.           CHRYSLER Sebring crd Touring 2008

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk