News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:54:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Torque Converters.  (Read 71963 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: Torque Converters.
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2016, 06:49:02 PM »
I thought my Torque was shot. I called my tranny guy. He 'did you hear a whine', I said, 'No'. So we talked and talked and he said it was a bump in....that's what he called it. Electrical or carb related. I'm digging into it now. I'll keep you updated. I have a brand new bbd and will put that on tomorrow. It's all spec'd out. You need to do that when you buy them new. :)
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2016, 07:15:39 PM »
It's not always a whine. Usually there is a new vibration or worsening one with the motor running because the cracked converter neck  throws the balance off and they suddenly dump all the trans oil or just go nowhere when in gear and full of fluid.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
I do like the lock up for my long drives back to Michigan, before I knew about lock up or non lock up I was pretty sure I had a 4 speed. I would always count the shifts and always counted 4. obviously I was wrong but if it feels like a 4th gear thats cool with me. But to lock it out manually would be just as if not cooler. (PS doing a rebuild and that could be a option.)
 Id like to see the new ones because this one seems pretty beefy, could have been replaced at some point.

Untitled by T A, on Flickr

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2016, 09:53:08 PM »
There is a kit to make the lockup engage at 55-60 mph instead of 35 (adjusted by gear ratio and converter stall speed) I did that to my '84 wagon before I found the rear frame rot and scuttled it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline juhap

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2020, 03:26:04 AM »
What is your opinion, if Mopar torque converter is used with 998....

It fits and its theet are behind AMC flexplate...

Any other difference than those theet?

juhap
American 440 Hardtop, American 220 2d (x2), American 330 4 d, American 330 Cross Country(x2), American F/EX Gasser, AMC Eagle STW (x4), AMC Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini(2x), Hornet 2d (x3), Willys Jeepster 1950, Jeep Cherokee 2d, Rogue 1966-SCRambler Replica
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465938  eagle
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465930   american
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263025   american HT

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »
For some reason I can’t find the part number list, however here is a good link for the transmission information. What has been swapped and other little tidbits that could come in handy looking for the proper parts. Note, it is a very old post.
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=26.0
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk