News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:00:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38797 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2019, 08:35:46 PM »
Sanded the fender flares and as hot pink and purple appeared, my shop radio started playing a Donna Summer song really loud.  I think it was Hot Stuff!!!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
Last week the car went in for painting and I went out to Pinon, New Mexico to where the original owner use live and race. Fun trip and great rally roads in that area.  Unfortunately he lived there so long ago that the people I met at the town store did not remember him.  Bummer but still fun.  Lots of rocks, through the missile range and dried up river beds.  Might have bring the Eagle rally car out there!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
Got the car home between showers. Will unload it this weekend.  The big stickers had to get removed. Unfortunately they were too far gone.  New ones are being made to replace them.   I'll start placing the others as well.  Then fill with fuel and head to the woods and sand of northern lower!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:04:16 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
Looking good!  Were they able to use the original silver paint code?  It almost looks matte, but that may be my imagination.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2019, 09:55:39 AM »
Gorgeous paint! Curious as to what the holes cut in the hood are for?

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »
Those are speed holes Ace, they add .5 horsepower each.

Love the car rally, you should put a video of it up on youtube, id love to hear that 390 roar from an eagle.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »
Original paint code with urethane paint.  I did flatten it about 25% as to not be too shiny.  It is not a factory finish for there are dents, scrapes and weld mark on her.  Sort of battle scars and I though they should remain.  Plus I'll put more scapes on it...

I believe those holes in the hood were installed a very long time ago.  This engine ran hot according to po.  The real issue for that that I found was bad ignition timing, advanced too far, and crappy cooling setup.  That's all fix now and it runs around 180 now.  That cast block generates a lot of heat so the more venting the better climate inside the cab.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
Got to spend a short time today placing some stickers and the windshield trim.  Need the passenger side top of door trim piece. Need to find one and a mirror for the door.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:24:39 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2019, 07:35:33 AM »
Beautiful car, it came out great.  I've seen this thing float around on the internet for quite awhile but never had the funds to do anything about it.  I am happy that someone brought it back before it got destroyed. Good work and I look forward to hopefully seeing it in action.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »
Thanks jebidia24.  It sure need saving. It was about burn itself to the ground from neglect.  A few more parts and off to the woods it'll go.

If anyone has a spare passenger door trim (top of door) and non remote passenger mirror,  please pm me.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2019, 08:01:05 PM »
Placed a couple of stickers in engine compartment and set up the Hella pencil lights.  Then I installed rear hatch light switch.  The light was there but no power. I placed an LED bulb in it.
Just a few items to go!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2019, 07:01:43 PM »
Worked on trim and then painted the hood high-rise black.   Need to find the clips for securing the trim to the lower triangle window.  Weather still bites so no running tiday.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
Digging! Totally digging it! You have taken some outstanding pictures. It was nice to see detailed front axle brackets. What's the chain for on the drivers side? I build my rear disc brakes the same way. Heavy tab welded to axle tube and use front components. 
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2019, 06:03:21 PM »
Thanks.  There is a chain on each side of engine tying it to the "frame" and act as a safety strap  incase the motor mount(s) break during racing/jumping.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2019, 09:23:52 PM »
I just picked up 5 - 7.5 x 15 jeep rims with 235/75R15.  Getting an extra lift. Same offset and center bore.  Goodyear wranglers with 3000 miles dated 2016.  I'll keep the AMC Rims but might sell off the BF Goodrich tires. Pictures to be posted once mounted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk