News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 07:34:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BENT MAIN DRIVE SHAFT; OK TO RUN IN FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY?  (Read 14022 times)

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
BENT MAIN DRIVE SHAFT; OK TO RUN IN FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY?
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
      The idea would be to remove the main drive shaft and keep it in 4WD. 

Comments?

Problems?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: BENT MAIN DRIVE SHAFT; OK TO RUN IN FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »
No it will destroy the transfer case after awhile

Manitowoc WI

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
     I don't know how I could get it fixed; or, get another one where I live.

If you would indulge me, in what regard would it destroy the transfer case, and, what would be "after awhile" in terms of use/miles?

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
What part of your driveshaft is bent? A driveshaft repair shop could easily replace the tube and may be able to get the ends. Someone near you may have a spare driveshaft they would be willing to sell if you post in the wanted section or they may contact you from this posting.
The viscous coupler is the only thing that keeps the differential, in the transfer case, from spinning and the car not moving, without the rear driveshaft. The viscous coupler is somewhat weak in the 119 or 129 transfer case and may fail under constant use. I have personally put thousands of miles on a 249 transfer case, with a viscous coupler, without the front driveshaft, but that is a stronger viscous coupler.
If you do run it that way make sure your parking brake is on when you park it or it will roll.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »
     I don't know how I could get it fixed; or, get another one where I live.

what would be "after awhile" in terms of use/miles?
Could be as little as a few minutes. Where do you live that it is difficult to find a drive shaft shop?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »
It's only really possible using a transfer case that allows high lock. AMC used other lengths of the same design in Jeeps so they should be common enough to come by for parts.

The length of time it will work depends on the condition of your current coupling and how aggressively you drive, but it's only designed to handle the full weight of the car for short periods before it is allowed to cool off.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
Hana, Maui.  Most remote place on Maui.  Three hours, a reported 620 curves and 54 one-lane bridges in the 50 miles to any repair shop.  Have had 6 accidents on  the road - only one involving another car.  No specific drive shaft service on Maui.

It's an '84 wagon,  81k orig. miles; what transfer case would it have?

I'm on a public computer and don't have my repair manual with me.  What and where is the viscous coupler at issue?

The parking brake "popped" this morning and the car went over a rock ledge, picked up a couple hundred pound rock on the way and carried it another hundred feet till the rock caught on another rock.  The drive shaft damage/bend is about 1/3 back from front u-joint.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »
Hana, Maui.  Most remote place on Maui.  Three hours, a reported 620 curves and 54 one-lane bridges in the 50 miles to any repair shop.  Have had 6 accidents on  the road - only one involving another car.  No specific drive shaft service on Maui.

It's an '84 wagon,  81k orig. miles; what transfer case would it have?

I'm on a public computer and don't have my repair manual with me.  What and where is the viscous coupler at issue?

The parking brake "popped" this morning and the car went over a rock ledge, picked up a couple hundred pound rock on the way and carried it another hundred feet till the rock caught on another rock.  The drive shaft damage/bend is about 1/3 back from front u-joint.
Wow! That is remote. The viscous coupling is inside the transfer case. If the VC is damaged, you will have to take the transfer case out and disassemble it to replace the VC, which are next to impossible to come by.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:07 AM »
Sounds like you need a NP208 tcase (your current one is likely a NP129 if you have a dash mounted 2wd to 4wd switch) and a longer driveshaft (5 inches more than your current one) Jeep also uses similar shafts in the Grand Wagoneer on the front drive but they are double cardan (3 ujoints)

In the past I have made emergency repairs on driveshafts by first measuring the original shaft for length, then finding another that is slightly bigger diameter (I've even used drain pipe) and cutting out the bad part, slipping the tube of the other shaft over it and drilling through so I can put bolts through to hold it in place (I draw a line down the old shaft so I can realign the 2 halves to match) I've even welded them together that way. Just make sure the length it right first!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:47:31 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline ozarkrebel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 01:01:39 AM »
Sounds like you need a NP208 tcase (your current one is likely a NP129 if you have a dash mounted 2wd to 4wd switch) and a longer driveshaft (5 inches more than your current one) Jeep also uses similar shafts in the Grand Wagoneer on the front drive but they are double cardan (3 ujoints)

In the past I have made emergency repairs on driveshafts by first measuring the original shaft for length, then finding another that is slightly bigger diameter (I've even used drain pipe) and cutting out the bad part, slipping the tube of the other shaft over it and drilling through so I can put bolts through to hold it in place (I draw a line down the old shaft so I can realign the 2 halves to match) I've even welded them together that way. Just make sure the length it right first!

A drain pipe?  :rotfl: I never thought of that one, but I guess it would work in an emergency.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 01:03:24 AM »
I've even used a section of tree when one got twisted up about 40 miles from the main road (Alaska)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline ozarkrebel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 01:23:57 AM »
I've even used a section of tree when one got twisted up about 40 miles from the main road (Alaska)

That is a new one on me too, I bet the vibration would sure shake your money bag loose :o I guess when you live or break down in remote areas you have to be creative, my hats off to you for your ingenuity.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 02:20:53 AM »
Guess you didn't know my nickname was McGyver, huh? (They shot a lot of the episodes near where I grew up)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 04:04:50 AM »
Not totally related but one of my good buddies back at home had a Subaru Brat ( I know there is a joke there, I have an Eagle and he had a Brat), and he had a CV axle break.  His fix was to put it in 4wd and take his outer tulips off the axles and reinstalled (to keep the hubs together) and drove it as a RWD.  He did this for many months.  He kept breaking motor mounts because of the un-engineered torquing of the engine.  This is a completely different setup but still brought up a fun memory for me. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
Ahhh, you live on one of my favorite roads, Jack. It a long ride out to Kahului, and your Eagle won't make it that far without a rear driveshaft.

I'd recommend doing your best to straighten the driveshaft enough to use for the drive to town, where there's bound to be a welding shop that can build you a new driveshaft, maybe also get a spare built? To straighten bent driveshafts before, I've placed the shaft strategically on a couple of rocks and driven obver it with another vehicle, also used a torch and mounted the shaft in a vice. I suppose you could heat the shaft to dull glowing red with just a campfire and a vacuum cleaner(run in reverse as a blower to ge the coals hot), but I'd remove the u-joints from it, and remove as much grease as possible before trying that. Then try bending it straight using whatever immovable objects or driving over it method, protecting the tire from the heat with a board.

What bent the driveshaft? You hit a rock, or did a joint come apart?
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk