News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 01:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebuilt transfer case options with viscous coupling discussion.  (Read 19825 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Rebuilt transfer case options with viscous coupling discussion.
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
Due to another thread regarding viscous coupling availability,  I made a couple phone calls. Both were to companies who supply rebuilt transfer cases to Autozone. This was to see how they handle the viscous coupling issue. If others want to grab the torch and call other rebuilders and pick their brain and add that info here, it would be great.

First call went to Midwest Transmissions. After a getting transferred a few times and making a couple more calls to them, I finally received an answer. They say they have a supplier who rebuilds the VC's for them.

Second call went to Rockland Standard Gear. I called and had to leave a voice mail. I got a call back the next day. The gentleman was quite knowledgeable about the AMC Eagle. He said he had owned several over the years and his dream car was an AWD Pacer using Eagle drivetrain components. I felt bad misleading him into thinking I was looking to purchase a rebuilt transfer case. If he reads this I hope he understands. He first tried talking me into swapping to a different case. He said all his Eagles got a NP231 and he modified the linkage of the NP229 range lever to work with the 231. I told him I wanted to know what they do about the VC. He stated they haven't been available for 20 years and before going to work for RSG he had a tranfer case company where he was the only one in the country who rebuilt VC's. He developed an apparatus to test them. He says they have to be heated up by turning them and that you can think you have a bad VC but once the fluid is warmed up the VC will work properly. He had to abandon the VC rebuilding business because the the fluid was considered toxic and was getting alot of heat from the EPA. He stated that Rockland Standard Gear tests used couplers and reuses ones that pass their test and they do not rebuild the coupler or use rebuilt ones.

Please only add technical info to this thread.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

A-A EAGLE

Re: Rebuilt transfer case options with viscous coupling discussion.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, egg for you.

Although not very technical, I rebuilt my VC by bolting the friction plates that are inside the VC together. Not an option for full time 4x4 and those who don't want to loose the pro's of the working of the VC. But for those who use 4x4 only for off road and snow and ice conditions, its a solution which will cost 3.00 USD.... Beware, in this case you can't use 4x4 on normal road conditions as the transmission will wind up and will cause damage.

Anjo

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
Here are four videos of a VC rebuild (for a VW T3-synchro).
It is in German, but still self explanatory.
It also lists the sort of silicone oil used.

http://www.2wd-goes-syncro.de/
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

rohnk

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
Very cool Jurjen! Do they say why the reason for the rebuild?

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:45 AM »
I would be excited if their testing procedure could give a tangible rating on a used coupler, like several torque factors in in-lbs or even just a performance rating from one to ten. Just knowing it still works doesn't pass judgement on how long it will continue to work. Mileage doesn't say much about a VC's status with some Eagles left in all wheel drive and others driven routinely in 2wd.

Specifically I wouldn't trust their testing procedure without a description of how they compensated for a lower initial viscosity. That would effect how long it would take for the fluid to reach operating temperature. Worn fluid may still reach a necessary torque value when actively spun, but would not be as responsive as new fluid. In normal operation the two differential outputs are usually married together without VC assistance, so it would not have the relative motion to build up heat with.

I'm imagining a device that clamps the housing still and measures the applied torque necessary to keep it still while the center turns a known RPM. I would expect an initial torque value for the fluid cold, a normalized torque value for the fluid after a standardized number of applied rotations, and a concluding torque value once the fluid reaches an optimal temperature. All three are necessary to quantify how worn a unit is and how responsive it will be relative to a new unit. 

I would love to be able to strip all my VCs out and send them to a testing location if I can get a formal report for each one that indicates exactly how worn it really is. The new old stock units are expensive enough to make that worthwhile.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:36:48 AM »
His statement that Viscous Couplings haven't been produced in 20 years is exaggerated by a few years. They were last installed by New Venture in a production Jeep in the 1998 NP249. The 247 took over in 1999 using a limited slip differential. The switch was performance driven and other makes still produce viscous couplers. 

Here are some quotes I found at this website regarding the 247 limited slip versus the 249s viscous coupling:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/NVG-history.html

"It's all in response time. The new unit essentially works in two-wheel drive until wheel-slippage is detected; then reaction time (to send drive to the other axle) is about 40 milliseconds. A viscous coupling can take two or three seconds to do the same thing."  It also “integrates seamlessly with antilock braking; viscous-coupled diffs have to allow 'freewheeling' under braking to avoid potential conflict between trying to drive all four wheels and trying to brake wheels that may be working with difference coefficients of friction. ... the interplay between the geroter pump and the progression of clutch lockup allows the unit to more easily tailor performance characteristics to a wide range of applications.”

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
I have no idea the procedures they use. I don't know if it's scientific or a a drill and a vice is used. I don't think it has been confirmed the 249 VC is the same as the Eagle's VC and that is the one he was referring to when saying they weren't produced for 20 years. He seemed to be a really friendly guy. Unfortunately I was driving when he called and didn't catch his name. If you call RSG  and tell them you have a technical question regarding transfer cases you will get transfered to him.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
Here  i found some interesting torque curves for the VC.
Note that this curve is for the VW synchro again, but this website has lots of interesting information.

http://www.syncronauts.org.uk/syncro-technical/syncro-transmission/viscous-couplings/refurb-vcs-torque-curves

Use the tab "synchro technical" to find out more.

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 05:39:08 AM »
I also found some information from GKN:
http://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/viscous-engl.pdf

GKN is the company in the UK that Roy Lunn approached for the viscous biasing differential.
The viscous unit was developed by FF Devolpments Ltd in Coventry UK, but they had sold the manufacturing rights to GKN.

For production Roy Lunn used  a 15,000 centistoke silicone oil at a fill rate of 70%.
I guess that Roy Lunn wanted to prevent the Eagle going in "Hump" mode (viscous  coupling lock-up) to compensate for normal variation of the rolling radiuses between front and rear tires.

I sometimes wonder, if broken half shafts are the result of a locked up viscous coupler?
The VW guys say that the "Hump" can be recognized on a dry pavement going through a corner feels like it doesn't want to go and one of the tires will be slipping.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
I also found some information from GKN:
http://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/viscous-engl.pdf

GKN is the company in the UK that Roy Lunn approached for the viscous biasing differential.
The viscous unit was developed by FF Devolpments Ltd in Coventry UK, but they had sold the manufacturing rights to GKN.

For production Roy Lunn used  a 15,000 centistoke silicone oil at a fill rate of 70%.
I guess that Roy Lunn wanted to prevent the Eagle going in "Hump" mode (viscous  coupling lock-up) to compensate for normal variation of the rolling radiuses between front and rear tires.

I sometimes wonder, if broken half shafts are the result of a locked up viscous coupler?
The VW guys say that the "Hump" can be recognized on a dry pavement going through a corner feels like it doesn't want to go and one of the tires will be slipping.

I have felt the hump on the VW setup.Have a 91 ( ermmm oh yeah it says a 72 ) here in states to make it legal,lol. It is a Transporter with the 4wd synchro, sold a convereted to synchro Vanagon a couple years ago.Both are great vehicles, never knew the AMC and VW had something in common.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
Did you know the 2.0L in Gremlins and '79/80 Postal Jeeps was Audi/VW? SX-4 would have had the 2.0L if it wasn't for the complaints of Grem owners due to it being "gutless", yet Porsche liked the motor enough to stick it in their 924s and some got turbos!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
Now that's interesting, so find an old postal jeep, pull the engine and add a Porsche turbo !! Sweet.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
Getting a little sidetracked, let's stay on the original subject. Thanks

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
So when in comes to rebuilding the viscous coupling, does anyone know how much fluid is supposed to go in it?

I assume the seals and such are out there, although it may take quite of bit of work measuring, and tracking them down.

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
I believe the Eaglepaedia has something in there about fluid levels and volumes. But you could google NP128/np129 for that info. But someone here may know as well, I will update this if I find it first.

ok here is the link for the TM, scroll down to the NP 128 is says 3.3 liters (7 pints)

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=July_1985_-_IS_7E_-_General_Information_and_TSM_Pages_for_the_NP_128_Transfer_Case
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:46:41 PM by Hawk258 »

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
I believe the Eaglepaedia has something in there about fluid levels and volumes. But you could google NP128/np129 for that info. But someone here may know as well, I will update this if I find it first.

ok here is the link for the TM, scroll down to the NP 128 is says 3.3 liters (7 pints)

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=July_1985_-_IS_7E_-_General_Information_and_TSM_Pages_for_the_NP_128_Transfer_Case

That would be magic for a vc to hold that much

Manitowoc WI

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »
The service manuals don't detail how to rebuild a viscous coupler. Its supposed to be done in a factory. The 3.3 L capacity is for the whole transfer case.

Why bother looking for that amount until we have a source for the silicone fluid? Its special stuff and some degree of toxic. Is there a place to order the Viscous Coupler fluid for a VW or other make?

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
**Shrug** that's what the book said. it called for dex II and 3.3 liters. check the link I assume that would be from completely empty though.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Sorry... the 128 does NOT have a VC... it was a bad example I pulled the wrong case info... sorry.

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
Sounds right for the case. However some cases use other lube such as 10w30

Manitowoc WI

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
ok here is an update and an image of a VC, this may help and it appears that it is possible to get the VC fluid. I assume that it is possible to order the clutches for the vc not sure still flexing my google fu here.

http://www.vanagon.com/syncros/technica/vc-expert-interview/index.htm

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:12 PM »
So when in comes to rebuilding the viscous coupling, does anyone know how much fluid is supposed to go in it?

Its the right answer for the wrong question. The question asked was how much viscous silicone oil is contained in the viscous coupler. It should be less than a pint. Its possible that the fluid from a VW viscous coupler is still in production and available to allow someone to rebuild their own viscous coupler. Its the fluid that loses its viscosity over time, the internal parts themselves are not in contact and should not wear out.

To be clear, the viscous coupler is about 4 inches in diameter and about  4 inches long. It is one internal part inside the transfer case.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
well, It I think the answer is in my previous post, as there is suppose to be room for expansion. but that's just what I understand at the moment

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
What I have read there needs to be the right combo of oil and air for it to work properly. The gentleman I talked to at RSG said he used to get 5 gal buckets of the oil from Dupont. No idea what it is or if it is still available.

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 02:45:55 AM »
What I have read there needs to be the right combo of oil and air for it to work properly. The gentleman I talked to at RSG said he used to get 5 gal buckets of the oil from Dupont. No idea what it is or if it is still available.

yes I have found some from the manufacturer but they link you to a local distributer, I will post the like for you folks that are interested.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/details.aspx?prod=02967642&type=PROD

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »

Except the NP128 has no viscous coupler. That's the tcase lube oil they are talking about it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »

Its the right answer for the wrong question. The question asked was how much viscous silicone oil is contained in the viscous coupler. It should be less than a pint. Its possible that the fluid from a VW viscous coupler is still in production and available to allow someone to rebuild their own viscous coupler. Its the fluid that loses its viscosity over time, the internal parts themselves are not in contact and should not wear out.

To be clear, the viscous coupler is about 4 inches in diameter and about  4 inches long. It is one internal part inside the transfer case.

In FSJs, the coupler tears apart and the silicone fluid eats up the bearings like liquid sand.

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »
Sorry... the 128 does NOT have a VC... it was a bad example I pulled the wrong case info... sorry.

yeah, I updated that, again I apologize for that.

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
Here is the original GKN patent:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=4022084A&KC=A&FT=D&date=19770510&DB=EPODOC&locale=nl_NL

It makes interesting reading.

The GKN people knew that it worked, but did not know why ....

The original silicone oil also came from Dow Corning ....

Some statements about filling in it too.
The coupler starts really doing something once 100% fill rate is reached due to thermal expansion. So fill it 100% and don't close it. Warm it up to 212F and the excess goop will flow out. Then close the coupler. Now you know that you have a coupler that starts working from 212F. Easy peasy.

Roy Lunn must have done the same experiments and came to a 70% fill rate.

I would do it like this:
Clean the internals with white spirit.
Then fill it to the brim with white spirit.
Empty it in a glass measuring cup (from the kitchen) and make a note of the level.
Use the same cup and fill it with silicone oil 70% of the previous measurement and put that in the viscous coupler.
Why not use the silicone oil to do the measurement? It is too goopy, it won't come out again.
So better use something nice and thin like white spirit.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:31:32 PM by Jurjen »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
Found out the S10 axles are 5/16" longer fully compressed.

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »
I dismantled a 129, 242, and 249 transfer case today. The 129 viscous coupler had leaked all of its silicone fluid out. I was horrified to find that the viscous coupler has one puny O ring and a snap ring keeping it together. The 249 Viscous Coupler is drastically different. It is welded together and seems much more robust. I like that the 129 unit forms a donut around an open diffential, so once it fails that continues to let the transfer case have limited function. I don't like that its designed to fail easily and often.

I will be converting most of my Eagles to the 242, and a couple to the 249. I've already had a 242 in my Red SX4 for several years now.

I did find out that a viscous coupler could be added to the 242 at the sacrifice of the 2wd function. I have no need for 2wd in an Eagle, so this is something I would want to do. It would require the 249 output shaft to be grafted where the 242 output shaft was, so it would require a new shaft to be machined. Obviously this is cost prohibitive. It was cool to see tho that everything else would be an unmodified part from either a 242 or a 249. Actually the right splines are near the right place on the 242 shaft and the case itself is easily compatible.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 12:44:23 AM »
In FSJs, the coupler tears apart and the silicone fluid eats up the bearings like liquid sand.

The 229 and 129 are identical in the rear half of the transfer case, so I can now see how this could be true. The coupler doesn't tear apart, but the dinky little Oring lets all the silicone oil to leak out. I have trouble believing any 25 year old transfer case still has a working viscous coupler after seeing how one is constructed. The oil doesn't look abrasive to me, but it is very thick and I can see how it will clog and slow the proper oil from getting where it needs to go. I do not want any 129s or 229s in any of my Eagles.

I did figure out why the 229 is still a worthwhile transfer case to find. I want one for my XJ. The viscous coupler is easily drained and pins put in the plates to make a case with the same shift characteristics as a 231. It has a much wider chain than the 231 and also seems stronger. This would be alot cheaper than buying a slip yoke eliminator kit. 

Putting pins in a 129 would limit the car to 2wd except in slippery conditions, so I don't suggest using that method to retain one in your Eagle.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
Good job Capt'n!
Liked the pictures in the other thread too.
I guess for "normal mortal" Eagle users it would be OK to change oil regularly and accept that the silicon oil slowly drains out?
It will still have the open diff function like the NP128 (1986 only).

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »
Yes, great info there. I have seen a couple pics of cracked VC's over at the FSJ site at one time. I put a 229 in my Eagle and bought another for spare parts and both VC's seem  to function correctly. I guess it's possible if the vehicle is rarely if ever put in 4wd, that it may extend the life of the VC.

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
viscous coupling discussion.
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 08:21:40 AM »
Regarding the availability of viscous coupling fluid; I spoke with Dow Corning and the quart/pint/gallon/5 gallon sizes are indeed no longer available.  However, under a different number, I was told 55 gallon drums ARE available.  When I thought of the cost and freight charges added, I didn't pursue the matter, but maybe if enough people are interested, it could be economically possible. How many pints to a gallon?!  One downside would be shipping costs both to procure the drum and to the end user, but considering it's status as UNOBTAINIUM  this may be doable. What would spark interest is rebuilding instructions in english.  I'd like to see that! Any thoughts? :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:15 AM »

The 229 and 129 are identical in the rear half of the transfer case, so I can now see how this could be true. The coupler doesn't tear apart, but the dinky little Oring lets all the silicone oil to leak out. I have trouble believing any 25 year old transfer case still has a working viscous coupler after seeing how one is constructed. The oil doesn't look abrasive to me, but it is very thick and I can see how it will clog and slow the proper oil from getting where it needs to go. I do not want any 129s or 229s in any of my Eagles.

I did figure out why the 229 is still a worthwhile transfer case to find. I want one for my XJ. The viscous coupler is easily drained and pins put in the plates to make a case with the same shift characteristics as a 231. It has a much wider chain than the 231 and also seems stronger. This would be alot cheaper than buying a slip yoke eliminator kit.  

Putting pins in a 129 would limit the car to 2wd except in slippery conditions, so I don't suggest using that method to retain one in your Eagle.

If you want a case that's like the 231, but with a stronger chain and fixed yokes, an '80 up FSJ's NP208 is the ticket (just not from a V8 4 speed. They are 31 spline input with the Ford T18As, like the set I have for sale with a 360 from my '82 Honcho)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk