News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 10:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: t-case replacement-SUCCESS! (well, partially...)  (Read 7079 times)

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
t-case replacement-SUCCESS! (well, partially...)
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »
Well, I have concluded that I am in way over my head.  Before I hurt myself or do serious damage to my car, I am going to concede defeat.

Before life got in the way, the reverendbill was willing to help me get my transfer case in. I appreciate his willingness to help and totally understand why that fell through.  Is there ANYBODY else on this list in Virginia who has done this that might be willing to help me get this done?

I have a decent garage, and I can follow directions, but this is clearly not going to happen with just me doing it.

I can probably drive the car a fair distance as it is, too.  Just throwing it out there, as I'm a little desparate to have the car available.   Wish I could throw a bunch of money at it and just get it done, but that not an option either.

Let me know if you can help or know someone who can.  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:56:38 PM by DarthGremlin »
Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

68AMXGOPAC

Re: t-case replacement-New plan: Ask for help!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »
What issues are you haveing ?? Still stuck on getting the 2 pieces apart ?? I am not close enough - midstate NY , and only have my SX/4 with it's on it's last leg oil blowing enigine.But I had never done one before and did it with my 15 year old son who has zero knowledge of cars. but can proudly say has learned some !!I took the old one out in one piece and alone........think like the little train that couldn't man !!

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
hit the post button too quick - at what point are you at with it now ?? Sounds like if your saying you can still drive it, the old one isn't out yet.......It took me a good 2 - 3 days , ( not 8 hours mind you) to get mine done, but I spent alot of time cleaning and putting new gaskets, seals on everything.( except my speedometer cable wich is still bound in a rag and zip tied up under the car ) : ( .

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
I've got a couple things that really got me down yesterday.  I was so discouraged and just felt like throwing in the towel...Feeling better about it today and will try to regroup and give it another go.

First problem is that I cannot remove the shift motor bracket from the replacement t-case.  Now it seems like the bolts are stripped and I'm at a loss there.  All the other stud nuts came right out.

Under the car on the current t-case, I could not get anything on the the nuts to remove the catalytic converter bracket....which is like STEP TWO in the process....just felt like nothing was going my way.

My bro-in-law talked it over with me on the phone last night and gave me a few suggestions that I will give a shot.

If I can't remove the case at the adapter, CAn I just leave the adapter on and replace that along with the t-case?  Or does that make installing the t-case much more difficult while under the car?

That seems to be what I'm looking at now.
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »
It can be pulled either way. what case is this.

Manitowoc WI

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »

I am feeling much better about this  today.  Went out this evening after the golf tournament and made good progress.

I am confident I will have the case out the next time I can devote some time to it....probably Tuesday evening and again on Wednesday.

Kinda feel like a schmuck for sounding so desparate at first, but I was just really discouraged.  I think I can get it done now.

Thanks for the input.  I hope I can find those pics again and I would be set!
1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
if you run into a snag,  you got my number ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 11:46:46 PM »
I have gotten discouraged on projects too. Sometimes it takes a few questions (where I really feel like a complete newbie asking them) and some time pondering. After that I have a new angle to approach the problem and new energy to attack it.

Like Red Green says, "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together."
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »

I am feeling much better about this  today.  Went out this evening after the golf tournament and made good progress.

I am confident I will have the case out the next time I can devote some time to it....probably Tuesday evening and again on Wednesday.

Kinda feel like a schmuck for sounding so desparate at first, but I was just really discouraged.  I think I can get it done now.

No reason to feel like a schmuck , you probably had your goals set and the black cloud took over. I ended up cutting down the side of the nut with a hacksaw and splitting it with a small  chisel.It is a daunting task alone.My worst issue was with the front pipe to manifold bolts...

Thanks for the input.  I hope I can find those pics again and I would be set!

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: t-case replacement-SUCCESS! (well, partially...)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
The old case is out.  Waiting on a new trans/adapter gasket, and I will begin putting it all back together.  Thanks to those who have helped me out!

68AMXGOPAC: The black cloud DID take over there for a while...glad that it's gone!
1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
Where did you get or find this gasket. I haven't looked hard for it. So let us know

Manitowoc WI

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
NAPA Online.  And that was the only place that I found it listed during my search.  They were 98 cents, so I bought a couple.
1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
Nice find

Manitowoc WI

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:45:06 PM »
From my NAPA receipt...

Item: A/Trans Gasket, Extension Housing
   Product Number:   ATP14579     
1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: t-case replacement- Part 3
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »
Well, this long saga may finally have a happy ending.  I have everything put back together (correctly, I believe, this time).  I did not try to even move it out of the garage tonight.  I want to go to bed thinking everything is fine.

First thing tomorrow, I will see how things go.  Shift linkage seemed a little different, but seems to go into all gears.  I thought I saw how to adjust it, but that didn't seem to get it done.

May be coming back for some advice on adjusting that.

Stay tuned.
1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline wagonmaster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »
good luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk