News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 09:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Discussion of built driveline  (Read 91177 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Discussion of built driveline
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
only on special extra paid orders
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 09:56:54 PM »
Wow, must be the difference in local post offices, but around here US Postal Service still does Sat. standard mail delivery, and if that includes a package I get the package with my normal mail, they don't pull back packages for later delivery, it just gets thrown in with all the Junk mail & coupon mailers...

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
I see, so do I assume that they got the OK to end Sat delivery then?  I'd make the further assumption that you are in a "rural" area.  Sadly I'm not, I'd trade the Sat delivery for a little less SUB-urbaness in a second, though luckily my neighbors aren't too bad with all my "stuff" around here...

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Actually, everyone will be losing saturday delivery. UPS and Fedex will be the saturday guys so deliveries in town won't stop, but they don't do saturday rural delivery. I used to do those years ago and lost that job when they did the cutback due to costs of delivering to "the hinterlands"

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
Now that you mention it I vaguely remember hearing something about the USPS asking to stop sat service altogether, but really didn't pay too much attention to it. So they got (was it Congress I heard that was the decision maker?) to agree to let them do it?  I thought that I heard they weren't inclined to allow it?

Offline Steve F

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
As of right now the Postmaster General is still trying to get Congress to authorize 5 day delivery. So far Congress is sticking with the 6 day delivery. Thank god for that as I am a Rural Carrier Associate and only work on Saturdays. LOL .. if they change I might be out of a job.

Offline The Dark Side of Will

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
  • Too much effort into cars that are too cheap
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »
The gear did arrive today. I was more convinced that the USPS wouldn't be able to get it from a Thursdat shipment in Miami to Saturday delivery in VA.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »
Of course it doesn't mesh with the 25 tooth gear I already had...

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
<SIGH>... of course the 25T gear I already had doesn't mesh with the 61T gear I received... The parts listings I've seen don't show which gears are paired with which. This means that there could easily be a pairing of 25 teeth with something else for a Jeep application and I have that 25T gear.

I guess the way to find out is to order the 25T Camaro V8 5th gear output, make sure it meshes with this 61T gear and compare it to the 25T gear I have.
I can't use the Camaro gear because the Jeep transmissions have 23 spline outputs and the Camaros have something else (28?) and the 5th output gear shares the transmission's output splines.

Pics of T-case mix/match:

Insides of 119 T-case. Note the single shift rail for changing between 2WD and AWD. The aluminum cylinder on the top of the stack is the VC housing.

Empty volume in 119 where low range gear set isn't

On the left, the 12 internal bosses for the 12 extension housing bolt locations. In the center, the TWO bores for the low range and 2/AWD shift rails. This is my factory-low-range 119 rear case half, but from this view, the two should look the same.

Low range gear set in 229 T-case

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »
Bump.

I obtained the Camaro 25T gear and now can't find the 61T gear or the other 25T gear. My thought was to turn the teeth off the 23 spline gear and bore the splines out of the 28 spline gear, then press the two components together to make a narrow pitch 25T gear with 23 splines... something that the OEM never made. That would let me run the 4.03 first with 0.72 fifth

However,
I'll be measuring up an NV3550 over the weekend.
I've come to the conclusion that's a much better choice than the T5. The NV3550 has a 300 ftlbs torque rating while the T5 is rated for 240 ftlbs.
According to Novak, the length of the 3550 is ~1.5" longer than the T5 without its bellhousing. I'll have to measure up the T5 parts to see how the lengths compare with the bellhousing.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t4_t5.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv3550.htm

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 119 I took apart *already* had the receiver hole bored. Score! I swapped the 119 rear case onto the 229 (and vice versa) and will clean + final assemble next weekend.

I was incorrect about this. The holes I thought was bored was just cored very close to final size... Was obvious when I put a flashlight up to it (and the shift rail didn't go in).
My dad still had the fixture for boring the hole, though, so boring it was easy and quick.

I've also been cleaning up the T-case housing and transmission case, as they are/were filthy.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
I'll be measuring up an NV3550 over the weekend.
I've come to the conclusion that's a much better choice than the T5. The NV3550 has a 300 ftlbs torque rating while the T5 is rated for 240 ftlbs.
According to Novak, the length of the 3550 is ~1.5" longer than the T5 without its bellhousing. I'll have to measure up the T5 parts to see how the lengths compare with the bellhousing.

The Novak website is extremely biased toward the products they sell. It's also very incomplete. Do not trust it fully.

Overall length, front of the bellhousing to the transfer case face:
NV3550 (also AX15 and NSG370)= 24"
T5= 21' 3/4"
TF998= 22-3/8" (Automatic Eagles)

You'll be amazed at the difference in weight and girth between an NV3550 and a T5. The T5 is a car transmission. The NV3550 is a truck transmission. Unfortunately this translates to a very clunky, stiff shifting experience. The gears are considerably heavier and stronger in the NV3550 and you can tell. The T5 is very smooth and fast. Also beware of the fluid issues with NV3550s. They need special fluid or their synchros degrade and it will shift terribly.

I suggest the AX15. It is just as large as the NV3550 and very close in strength. It is a considerable upgrade over the T5, however it shifts just as smooth and as quickly as the T5.

Both an AX15 and the NV3550 can be mounted behind a T5 bellhousing utilizing 258 shift hardware and the thicker 258 flywheel. To do this you need the Advanced Adaptors kit. It's listed for the NV3550 but it actually works for the AX15 with a very minor modification.

If you want to use the thinner 4.0 flywheel and bellhousing, which is a great idea if you want to fuel inject, then you'll need an advanced adaptors kit to convert your NV3550 slave to metal flare line. Alternatively an early AX15 has in internal slave that is already 3/16" flare line compatible with your Eagle clutch master cylinder.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
I essentially replicated those measurements.
NV3550: 23+7/8
T5: 21+3/4

Basically, what I want to know is "Does it fit?". Have you completed the car in your sig with the 401+3550? Has anyone else completed a 3550 or AX15 swap?

If you want to use the thinner 4.0 flywheel and bellhousing, which is a great idea if you want to fuel inject, then you'll need an advanced adaptors kit to convert your NV3550 slave to metal flare line. Alternatively an early AX15 has in internal slave that is already 3/16" flare line compatible with your Eagle clutch master cylinder.

Yes, I definitely will end up with an EFI'd 4.0 (maybe even a 4.6 if I can install a stronger transmission than a T5). If all that's necessary to use the 3550 is the clutch line adapter, that doesn't sound bad.
Does it bolt to the same transmission crossmember?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:39:07 AM by The Dark Side of Will »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
Too far away, but I have an AX-15 and NP231 for sale ($500 the pair)  It's external slave style.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk