News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The bird suprised me with a coolant leak  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
The bird suprised me with a coolant leak
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »
The Eagle has been leaking coolant the last few days. At first it was a slow leak that I could not find but today it got bad. Only seems to leak when the car is off and only leaks for a little while before it stops. I popped the hood and couldn't find the source of the leak BUT the drips were hitting the ground directly under the crank pulley. My first thought is either a bad lower radiator hose or the weep hole on the water pump. What do you guys think?

On a different note. While I was under the hood I noticed that my fan clutch could probably be replaced, doesn't seem as stiff as it was 6 months ago. Also noticed that my radiator is old.
What do you guys recommend as far as a water pump goes? I know there are a few 'performance' pumps out there, are they worth it? Somebody recommended a 4.0 water pump, doesn't sound right to me, don't they spin the other way?

What about a fan clutch, are the 'heavy duty' replacements the parts stores any good?

Last but not least what do you guys recommend as far as radiator replacement goes? Any known upgrades? I know there's a bunch of different brands out there, are there any to stay away from? I'm looking for something with a lifetime warranty so most likely will go with one of the big name part stores or 800 radiators.

Thanks for the help and sorry for such a long post.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:32:09 PM by Zoro »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: The bird suprised me with a coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
CaptSpillane has reported that a CJ7 radiator will fit (just need to drill a couple new mounting holes) and that aluminum upgrade ones are available on the auction site
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
CaptSpillane has reported that a CJ7 radiator will fit (just need to drill a couple new mounting holes) and that aluminum upgrade ones are available on the auction site

If that's the case then an FSJ radiator might also fit as I have swapped a radiator from an SJ into an '82 CJ7. Also just remembered that I helped a friend put a '79 V8 Cherokee radiator into a 258 Gremlin but the brackets were all different...Thanks, now you REALLY have me thinking! lol

I'll take a look at the aftermarket CJ7 radiators but I think I'd like to stick with something that bolts right in.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:39 PM »

Just looked at the CJ7 radiators on that auction site, might just go that route. Overall dimensions are about 1/2" smaller on the CJ radiator but otherwise close enough ;D

afree4all

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »
Zoro,
 I have just had the "phantom" coolant drip from near the crank pulley/oil pan area.  I think I found it.  Check your upper rad hose @ the thermostat housing.  be sure its ALL the way down and clamped good.  Also goes for the bypass hose or even the housing to the head may have a small leak.  The hotter they get and more pressure system produces, the larger the leak will become.
See the post about my slow drip @ oil pan if like may help.
 :occasion14:

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
Zoro,
 I have just had the "phantom" coolant drip from near the crank pulley/oil pan area.  I think I found it.  Check your upper rad hose @ the thermostat housing.  be sure its ALL the way down and clamped good.  Also goes for the bypass hose or even the housing to the head may have a small leak.  The hotter they get and more pressure system produces, the larger the leak will become.
See the post about my slow drip @ oil pan if like may help.
 :occasion14:

Will do, thanks!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »
afree4all-
You were right, the coolant was leaking from the base of the upper radiator hose at the thermostat housing.

Changed out the radiator hose and problem solved, or so I thought. I get home and there's now a new coolant leak coming from directly underneath the engine but about 1/4 of the way back. Haven't crawled up under the car yet but I'm thinking either intake manifold gasket or freeze plug. What do you guys think? Will try to get some pix of the new leak in question.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
The coolant won't leak where the intake gasket is, it doesn't touch the gasket at all. Could be a freeze plug if it rusted out, or maybe check your lower hose, and hoses attached to the intake manifold.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
The coolant won't leak where the intake gasket is, it doesn't touch the gasket at all. Could be a freeze plug if it rusted out, or maybe check your lower hose, and hoses attached to the intake manifold.

The leak was a combination of a bad water pump and leaky lower radiator hose. Somehow the coolant was dripping down the side of the block and appeared to come out of the front of the intake.

afree4all

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »
Glad to hear you found the source.   One thing is for sure  These birds like to leak (Almost any fluid)) BUT only little bits in weird butt places.
And just like this time, I find if I solve the problem,  will at least find one more caused by the repairing first one :banghead: LOL
But thats what made me understand how these cars work,. Still love my Rig just sad it is rusting away on the frame.

Offline JustinS

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thief River Falls, MN
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
I've run into similar problems on many other vehicles.  As soon as the broken link in the system is replaced with a new one, the next weakest link goes.  It can be very frustrating  :banghead:, and can sometimes lead to replacing the entire system, like I had to on my friend's civic.  The upside is that once you're done, you know that everything there is new.  ;D
Justin S.

-1972 Plymouth Gold Duter 225ci                     
-1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback SBC (Gator)          -1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2L (Red)
-1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 258ci (Seagle)                -1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L (The Wife's)

Click for Thief_River_Falls, MN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
I  was and am quite satisfied the the radiator I got from radiatorworld.  I like the product and especially the service.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk