News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tie rod threads  (Read 419 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Tie rod threads
« on: February 21, 2024, 12:45:34 PM »
Can't leave well enough alone.....
When I separated the inner tie rod from the rack the other month rather than using a separator tool I backed off the crown nut, put it upside down, threaded it back on until it was flush with the tie rod bolt and whacked it with a hammer like I've done with the outer tie rod ends and the ball joints. For whatever reason this mangled the threads and when I went to tighten the nut it spun out on the threads.
Long story short me and a shop chased the threads and put a new crown nut on last month and it tightened up fine. Then on Saturday the klunking comes back, so I look underneath and the nut's simply gone and the cotter pin's sheared off. Had to use a washer and a nail to get it back home but oh man were we close to disaster!  :o
For whatever magical reason, outer tie rod ends are still available for $13. Inner tie rod ends are not available from anyone. Since we cannot renew the remaining threads and a replacement is not available what would I do? Tap it to the next size? How would I machine that down?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Tie rod threads
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 06:13:33 PM »
Kennedy American lists the inner tie rods as available, $98.  Don't know if any of the other AMC vendors have them available or not.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 08:31:22 PM »
$230cad to get it to my door.......that's incredible.

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:40:15 PM »
Would this help shipping from the U.S.?
Me being a scatter brain at times, missed adding the link.

https://www.canadianaddress.ca/

Might want to check into it.

I also checked car-part.com and didn’t find anything.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:44:43 AM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 11:21:36 PM »
Just because the threads were a bit mangled I can't justify that price. Alt least, not without trying to clean up the threads again. I took it to my local mechanic and explained the problem and he went in with a fairly deep cutting die and cleaned the threads up. It doesn't change them too much but it cleaned up the flattened portion.

We then took a regular nut and ground shallow crowning into it. Popped it back into the car and heard it click in at 35 foot pounds, so it's seated and set to spec.

We still do not know what happened. We think it was a pothole and a lateral drop was enough that the crown nut used last time simply jumped the threads, allowed the taper to pop out and eventually the cotter pin wore down and failed. The suggestion was to keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:37:29 PM by MIPS »

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 05:07:55 PM »
I'm wondering if one could use the inner and outer tie rods from a concord instead as those seem to be readily available, or do they have a different taper to them?
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 09:01:20 PM »
Very different in length.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 09:02:07 PM by MIPS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk