News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: power window s  (Read 7006 times)

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
power window s
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:25:21 AM »
Ok folks I need a new power window motor and cable for the front drivers door. I have been fixing this thing for the last 6 months and now it has finally gave up the ghost. If any one has some parts they are welling to sell let me know otherwise I will end up at the pick and pull this weekend looking. I would rather give my money to someone on here personally if they have extras....As this car is my daily driver the better the quality the better for me. My e mail is [email protected]
                                                        Joe W
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: power window s
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »
hi the cable is available from Blasers, don't know if the  motor is as well. There are not many power window Eagles in junkyards, but a couple of years ago I had the same problem, and discovered that the mid 80s Mopars, the square looking New Yorkers, Diplomats, Fifth Avenues, etc, use the same power window motors. The only difference is they are wired opposite to Eagle, so down is up and vice versa. No big deal, just reverse wires and good to go. May be more of these out there than Eagles. good luck, gz

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
hi the cable is available from Blasers, don't know if the  motor is as well. There are not many power window Eagles in junkyards, but a couple of years ago I had the same problem, and discovered that the mid 80s Mopars, the square looking New Yorkers, Diplomats, Fifth Avenues, etc, use the same power window motors. The only difference is they are wired opposite to Eagle, so down is up and vice versa. No big deal, just reverse wires and good to go. May be more of these out there than Eagles. good luck, gz

Nice tip! Is the cable the same? I have a couple of extra motors its the cables that are hard to find. I remember someone on here said they had used some power seat cables from old Cadilacs or something like that?
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »
hi its been a while, so I don't remember if cables were the same, probably not, though MAY be made to work in a pinch. Different mounting brackets IIRC.  thanks gz

Offline tojwalk

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »
Hello,

I just picked up and 88 eagle wagon with power windows. The gear and cable are messed up, so I thought that I would remove the front left door glass then remove the regulator. Then see if it can be repaired.

My problem is when I try to turn the torx bolt that keeps the glass it just spins.  Do you have any info on what size the nuts are on the back side  (outside ?) are? Any help or guidence
would be most appreciated.

Thanks

James (tojwalk)

Offline tojwalk

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
I would like to find a usable replacement for the window (class) channel runs, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:56:57 PM »
The sides that it slides up/down in or the bottom of the glass? I'm thinking about the sides for mine but only if I sell the Comanche first.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline tojwalk

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know what the length of the front power window cables, tip to tip are?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »
Inner cable is 14 3/4" end to end as close as I can measure. Sleeve is bout an inch shorter with the ends on it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:28:01 AM »
hi, for the tojwalk question, are you asking about the soft window channel material? that is available from both Blasers and APD, at somewhat hefty prices. If you are a cheap!? and inquisitive, and at least a little smart, you can get a crosspiece of your old stuff, measure it carefully in ALL three dimensions, then, ahem, measure it again, and then order generic window channel from anywhere on the web, like Rockauto,  or actual manufacturers. It's out there, just go get it. good luck, gz

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »

I hope you're right. I just bought one. No A/C in the Nebraska summer heat and a driver window that won't roll down gets kind of miserable lol
 An A/C retrofit is my next project.
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
Good luck with yours, BigBird.  Could be the cable is just gummed up.  If not, somebody did a "how-to" on using a cable from a GM(?) power seat and modifying it to work on the Eagle windows.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »
Nice memory van g. I could only think of someone using a cordless drill to operate windows. Now that you mention that i remember that being said and done. I just wasn't gonna say that using a drill is possible to operate them. That goes to my sarcastic side. Like fixing a headlight by taping a flashlight to your fender to fix a headlight.

Edit for some minor reseach here

I think route66rambler used the drill no proof, just memory. I cannot find the how to on the gm cable seat fix. Sorry, maybe you can search better than i. I am a little busy to devote to much time to a search for that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:35:23 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
With a little help from the search gods, here is the link to the thread about using a power seat cable on an Eagle power window.  Many thanks to member ammachine390 for posting the thread.  Good luck!

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38752.0
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »
Nice one Van G!  :occasion14: Unfortunately I won't be fixing my window or my A/C until I get the ol girl runnin again. Massive exhaust leak from a very warped manifold.  :banghead: Glad you posted this though.
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk