News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.0 swap with built driveline  (Read 16026 times)

Offline The Dark Side of Will

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
  • Too much effort into cars that are too cheap
4.0 swap with built driveline
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
I've been posting about my progressing driveline build here:
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=22813.0

I cover rebuilding the front diff here:
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43409.0

Cliff Notes:
'90 4.0 HO
Stock flywheel, stock clutch
'00 NV3550 transmission
NP229 T-case modded for Eagle use
D30 3.54 disco front from 4 cylinder Eagle
D44 3.54 NON-C-Clip rear axle from '87 Wagoneer
Rear disk brakes from '98 Grand Cherokee

Yet to come:
Eaton Detroit TruTrac in front diff
Eaton E-Locker in rear axle

With the 4.01 first, 2.72 low and 3.54 axles, I end up with 38.6:1 crawl ratio. That's not shabby.
I can at a later time swap in an NSG370 + NP241OR for a 63:1 crawl ratio. That's getting up there.

In this thread I'd like to discuss aspects of the 4.0 swap.

First: Fuel injection electronics
I've heard that a Chevy Blue Flame Six distributor can be used in an AMC/Jeep six by using an AMC V8 distributor gear. I will do this so that I have an HEI distributor available for future system changes.
However, my plan is to get the thing running with stock Jeep electronics.
I have a '91 or so Cherokee wiring harness.
I expect that I'll be able to rework starting system, charging system, power distribution and fuse box so that electrically the car looks like a Cherokee. I've done a lot of wiring in my time, and that doesn't scare me at all.
Does anyone have any "Gotchas" for transplanting the Jeep system?

Second: Brakes
Has anyone done a rear disk conversion?
My D44 rear will have disks from a '98 Grand Cherokee.
This means I'll need to use a different master cylinder in order to have enough fluid volume to move the pistons and have reasonable front to rear brake bias.
Is that as simple as using a Grand Cherokee master cylinder?
I already have a reman booster ready to go in.

Third: Exhaust
The stock 4.0 manifold and exhaust routing is the primary consideration when building the new differential snout bracket. The fitment is ticklish, but with enough fit/futz cycles, I'll get it to work.
I *should* be able to make a stock Jeep exhaust pipe work. However, the pipe wants to go under the transmission bellhousing. I'm not sure that's going to be a great fit with the NV3550 trans.
They used the same basic exhaust routing from '90 through '99, but the NV3550 and a new split exhaust manifold design with dual O2 sensors came out in '00. This design wraps BOTH pipes around the front of the oil sump and then merges them on the right side of the engine by the bellhousing. This is obviously incompatible with the Eagle front diff.

Fourth: VSS and Electronic Speedometer
I'll be using a Jeep speedometer drive sleeve and 36 tooth driven gear. I'll use an adapter from Jags That Run or a similar part to generate the VSS signal for my ECU.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/SpeedSensors_Order.html
I would like to convert to an electronic speedometer as well. I see there are a couple of topics on that in this forum. Is there a definitive guide or method?

Fifth: Fan adaptation
This shouldn't be hard. The Eagle mounts the fan on the waterpump. The Jeep mounts it on a dedicated fan pulley on the right side of the engine below the A/C compressor.
The Jeep and Eagle waterpumps use different bolt circles.
Because of the serpentine drive, the Jeep waterpump pulley sits a little back from where the Eagle waterpump pulley sits.
This leaves enough room for a simple bolt circle adapter which will allow me to bolt the Eagle fan to the Jeep waterpump.

Sixth: Engine driven air compressor
Since the Jeep fan pulley will be reduced to a simple idler, I might as well do something with it.
I think I can space the A/C compressor bracket, which mounts both the A/C compressor and the fan pulley, away from the block and insert a mounting plate between the bracket and block.
The mounting plate will extend back behind the bracket several inches and will bolt to the side of one of the old York single cylinder A/C compressors.
I can move the compressor clutch up to where the fan pulley is and then drive the compressor via a shaft coupling.at the back of the bracket.
Then I have an engine driven air compressor. Because the York compressors keep their oil supply separate from the gas they're compressing, they can be used for air just as easily as for refrigerant.

Anything I missed?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 09:42:57 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: 4.0 swap with built driveline
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
the grand Cherokee's have the fan on the water pump centered on the engine. IIRC the offset fan requires trimming of the battery box

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
Eliminate the fan altogether and install an electric fan
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
the grand Cherokee's have the fan on the water pump centered on the engine. IIRC the offset fan requires trimming of the battery box

Well on my '90 or '91 Cherokee engine, it's on the idler below the A/C compressor and has a different bolt circle than the waterpump pulley.

Eliminate the fan altogether and install an electric fan

Negative, ghost rider. The engine driven fan moves WAY more air than any 12V electric fan could ever hope to. The fan clutch reduces its parasitic impact to almost nothing.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
Got a machinist friend to turn the pilot bearing carrier down to 1.8145, while I honed the crank bore out to 1.8140 with a brake hone. The brake hone was basically a waste of time, BUT the result was that the pilot bearing carrier was down from 0.002 interference to 0.0005. It tapped in lightly and seated.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
Nice!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
I would think the grand Cherokee master should be fine, my 96' GC has front and rear disks

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 08:54:24 PM »
I would think the grand Cherokee master should be fine, my 96' GC has front and rear disks

I have '98 GC rear brakes, so naturally the GC master cylinder would work with them, but does it bolt to the Eagle booster?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:54:57 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »
The stock Jeep pressure plate assembly weighs 15.28# and the stock disk weighs 4.01#. I didn't weigh the flywheel before I bolted it on.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
451 lbs as shown; flywheel + clutch, intake & exhaust manifolds; accessory brackets but no accessories.

Bellhousing and throw out bearing support/input bearing retainer on NV3550

Ball stud for the stock throw out fork

Spring clip to retain stock throw out fork on ball stud. Don't forget this!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »
Looking way cool!  Nice work!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 09:23:44 PM »
I pulled the ARP flywheel bolts to 100 ftlbs with blue loctite. I need to pull the clutch bolts to 40 ftlbs, also with blue loctite before I can put the transmission on. I also need to grab a photo of the fully assembled throw out mechanism.

I think we're to the point with my dad's Chevy Eagle install that I can have my diff back. It needs another coat of paint and Detroit TruTrac install before final installation. That means I need to order the TruTrac.

Is there anything weird about the Eagle Dana 30 3.54 housing or carrier? I think I remember hearing about the Eagle front diff having a unique carrier for something but that was likely the 2.35 gears. Yes? No?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:55 AM »
The 2.35 is a unique housing.

Manitowoc WI

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »
The HOUSING, not the carrier?

That's weird.

Any comments on whether I should go E-Locker or Detroit TruTrac in the front?

I mean that from the perspective of how likely I am to break the D30 with a locker vice the TruTrac which allows some slip.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:36:03 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »
Its the carrier, i said housing meaning carrier.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk