News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:31:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Holley Commander 950 fuel injection with stock fuel lines  (Read 2791 times)

84_I_SOAR

Holley Commander 950 fuel injection with stock fuel lines
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
I will make a long story short, or at least try to..
I got a great deal on  a rebuilt 258 with a Holley Commander 950 fuel injection setup and have taken to doing the engine swap with a good friend who is more knowledgeable than I. Unfortunately, at times, he gets an idea and seems to just run with it at the expense of extra and unnecessary work.

The 950 requires an inline fuel pump and a return line to the tank with as close to 0 psi as possible.
- Do Eagles have a return line from the factory and vapor line?
- If the line is still in good shape is there any reason I would not be able to use it with the Commander 950?

According to the friend and another armchair mechanic, I do not have a return line to the tank in my Eagle. I only have a vapor line and from the quick searching I did on the nest this seems to be incorrect.

I am posting this in hopes of getting some confirmation from a few people so we can stop arguing about the return line and get back to dropping in the new engine.

I've not been out in the Eagle this year and I am starting to get the itch, the avian itch.  :hyper:

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Holley Commander 950 fuel injection with stock fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
So use the vapor line as a return line if it goes all the way back.  I did this with a GMC pickup I did a fuel injection swap on.  Easy and the line is already there. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »
6 cylinder Eagles came with return fuel lines, as well as vent lines. No reason to use the vent line when you could use the original return line.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
make sure to check the condition of the lines, the fuel delivery line runs on the passenger side of the car and the return runs along the drivers side
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
make sure to check the condition of the lines, the fuel delivery line runs on the passenger side of the car and the return runs along the drivers side
I'm just going to chime in and highlight this. Figure out what's going where and what condition the lines are in before hooking them up. You don't need a huge mess or fire.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline bigdog56e

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 06:15:35 PM »
Think the vent line connects to charcoal cannister and return line connects to carb, IIRC.
                                                                                                                       Eddie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk