News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Found a solution for my front license plate (Update 1-15-11).  (Read 21186 times)

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 179
Re: Need a solution for my front license plate.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »
Could you use some flat stock to drop it below the rib on the bumper?  You might not like it looking that way but I think it will would work.

I am not sure I follow you.  Flat stock?

will it clear if you just move the plate down and put the bolts through the top holes and tweak the plate out so it's vertical and wave next time he goes by,get a big azz dog and chain ti to the bumper for next time he steps into your yard.

Experience would tell me , if he is bugging you that much, there must be another isuue....

That might work.  I'll haveto go see.  No there isn't another issue.  La Vista has been said to have more policemen per population than anywhere else in the area.  I see more policemen in a day than I saw in over a year in Omaha.  They are more picky because they can be. 

We get ticketed if our car sticks over the sidewalk.  I have a neighbor across the street that watches and calls on all my visitors.  He even called on my tree out front which caused me to have to cut all the branches 15 feet up to avoid a $200 ticket.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »
Could you use some flat stock to drop it below the rib on the bumper?  You might not like it looking that way but I think it will would work.

I am not sure I follow you.  Flat stock?

Um, sorry.  Flat steel bar.  Say something an inch wide by two or three inches long.  Maybe 3/16" think.  Two holes one at the top and the other at the bottom.  Mount the bars to the bumper and then the plate to the bars using the bottom holes in the plate.  This would result in something that was not as low as using the top holes of the plate in the bumper.  You would want to use some flat head screws in the steal stock to bumper locations to keep the plate able to be mounted flush.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »

I tried mounting it with the plate mounted by the top holes.  I don't like the look of it.  Not really all that sturdy.

I also tried spacing out the bottom by using a couple of washers, but all this told me was how thick the spacing needed to be.  It was no where near sturdy.  Hmmm...

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
This is just an idea but could you cut the rubber strip so it just goes up to the liscence plate, then the plate would sit more flush to the bumper and eliminate the angle.
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Blue)
2002 JeepGrand Cherokee Overland Edition (Silver) Rolled
2001 Cadillac Deville (Silver) Blown Engine :(
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (Graphite) Parts Jeep
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1987 Eagle wagon (Silver)
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited (Brown)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1983 Eagle SX/4 Sport (Black)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »
I,m sorry , and I don't mean to cut your town down,BUT that is out of hand.Seems they need to justify thier police force by handing out citations,that kind of thing makes me nuts.I can see if you had a junkyard for a front yard in a select neighborhood, but what's with the ticket for your car too far over the sidewalk?? Do you mean if it's in your driveway and sitting over into the sidewalk or is it in a parrelell parking situation? Man I am way off topic.... sorry.The plate fastened at the top looked better,but yeah it copuld get wacked and bent I guess.  Good luck man !

Offline UMunky

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
    • EskiePages
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
You're right....my spare plate as a backing isn't likely to help on the front much afterall. Still worth considering in other situations if a person needs though.

From looking at your pictures a few thoughts cross my mind. First, the flat stock idea is worth doing if you don't mind doing a bit of fab work. You can also go to a hardware store and look for small angle brackets or other such things....most with holes already drilled out, that might work as well....you just have to measure and size up what you'd need. Otherwise, some other type of fabrication work may be in order too, but you'll have to use your imagination and whatever resources you have available to you.

But trying to stick as close to stock there, you have a few choices. The first two are simple approaches. 1) space out the bottom as you were trying, so as to bring out the bottom enough to keep the overall plate vertical. 2) drill out two more holes where the top was. Since the plate covers over it anyway, looks are only so important here. And if it means saving yourself a ticket fee, it might be worth it. Just put the plate back the way you had it, figure where you'd need to drill the holes and then attach it from the top.

Then there are variations of those. You can do both.....doing the main attaching from the top, but space out the bottom just to reinforce and stabilize it a bit.

My guess is that most of the plate holders you'll find new in stores are going to be flat.....not allowing for spacing out to attach. So you may well have to look for a used plate holder at a junkyard or off another vehicle. I'd be eyeballing every car on the road to look for any possible solutions to this right now. As well as looking through anything and everything in the garage or basement for possible options as well. I had not good holding spot for the plate on the rear bumper from my '76 Honcho that I now have on my '78, so I just drilled two holes on the left side where it'd work and it works well. With the receiver hitch in the center on that a central plate is not a good location. But that's on the rear. Fronts are much better centered. I know the Jeeps often used a plate holder in the front that had an under/behind attachment, and then you bolted the plate to the holder. I'm not sure if those would work for the Eagles....at least without any modifications, but you can certainly look around and consider options.

BTW...I agree on how cheap plates are. I see some states aren't even doing the "raised" element any more...just doing like a straight flat screen print. And as I've mentioned, in Wisconsin, we don't even get two sets of stickers....we only get the rear ones, but still have to use both plates. Anywhere they can cut costs they seem to have done so.

Another thought....if you've got a piece of fairly solid sheet metal around.....size it up, drill two holes that would match the bottom and attach that some how to the current holes (may have to space it out to push it forward as you need), and then four more holes for places for the plate screws to go through. Essentially make your own plate holder in otherwords. Steel would be best there, but if you needed something in a pinch for a few weeks until you got a more permanent solution a half inch or thicker chunk of plywood would probably work as well. Just anything to get the plate sturdy and positioned so you won't get the fine.
Michael
'78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
'80 J10: 360 (TFI'd), TF727, NP208, longbed, topper
1997 model American Eskimo Dog
One poodle, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »
EGG given for all of your possible solutions.  Surely, somewhere here or in a junk yard from another make of car we can find Brandon a front plate holder.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »

I tried mounting it with the plate mounted by the top holes.  I don't like the look of it.  Not really all that sturdy.

I also tried spacing out the bottom by using a couple of washers, but all this told me was how thick the spacing needed to be.  It was no where near sturdy.  Hmmm...

Don't know if this will help, but some lawn mowers with Briggs & Stratton engines have a round spacer approximately 1 inch long between the gas tank & engine. I can get a part # & maybe better measurements maybe tomorrow if you want. Not sure on the center hole size.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »
Ford Man, that's an idea.  I looked around Lowe's today for a bit looking for an idea, but didn't have any luck.  I got distracted by the snowthrowers that were on clearance.  I got a new one twice the size of the one I have for $250 off.  They were marked down $200 and a guy gave me a Lowe's Coupon for $50.  Score.

I,m sorry , and I don't mean to cut your town down,BUT that is out of hand.Seems they need to justify thier police force by handing out citations,that kind of thing makes me nuts.I can see if you had a junkyard for a front yard in a select neighborhood, but what's with the ticket for your car too far over the sidewalk?? Do you mean if it's in your driveway and sitting over into the sidewalk or is it in a parrelell parking situation? Man I am way off topic.... sorry.The plate fastened at the top looked better,but yeah it copuld get wacked and bent I guess.  Good luck man !

Yeah a car cannot stick over the sidewalk at all when in your driveway.  It is kind of odd, but then again it keeps people out of other people's yards.  There are also laws where any vehicle you have has to be currently licensed and stored on cement.  Otherwise I would have a parts car or a Jeep Playground for Morgan or something.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 12:29:08 AM »
UMunky wow talk about thinking it through.  I am impressed with your options.  Thank you I am going to print those suggestions off and look around the house.  Thanks man.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 07:11:31 AM »
Yes they did, at least for N.J. There was one on my Eagle when I got it. My state is a one plate state, but most of your two plate states should have them on, but if you need one if I can find it you can have it. I don't know what I did with it, but I'll look for it later and get back to you

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Ford Man, that's an idea.  I looked around Lowe's today for a bit looking for an idea, but didn't have any luck.  I got distracted by the snowthrowers that were on clearance.  I got a new one twice the size of the one I have for $250 off.  They were marked down $200 and a guy gave me a Lowe's Coupon for $50.  Score.

Yeah a car cannot stick over the sidewalk at all when in your driveway.  It is kind of odd, but then again it keeps people out of other people's yards.  There are also laws where any vehicle you have has to be currently licensed and stored on cement.  Otherwise I would have a parts car or a Jeep Playground for Morgan or something.

Got brave ( cold & wet here ) & went out to the garage to look this morning. Had one mower with the set-up like I was describing ( buried at the end of the row of course ). Tried to get the numbers off it & must have wrote something down wrong. Called a buddy at a mower shop & he said he had one laying on his bench in front of him. Sizes are as follows ½" diameter x ¼" hole x ½" long. Don't have a part # handy. If you think that will work, I'll try to get #s agagin later. You might try a couple nuts for spacers also instead of washers. Put the nuts between the plate & bumper to move it out some.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »
Okay I tried a couple of things last night with no luck.  I tried the "nut as a spacer" it was not sturdy enough. 

I also did a little modification to a pants hanger that looked like it would work as a spacer.  I attached it to the bottom of the plate and tried to bolt it onto the Eagle.  No luck.  The middle section of this bracket that I made had more of a curve to it than the edges, so it wouldn't bolt on correctly.  I really thought it was going to work :(
b

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 01:17:52 AM »
Yes they did, at least for N.J. There was one on my Eagle when I got it. My state is a one plate state, but most of your two plate states should have them on, but if you need one if I can find it you can have it. I don't know what I did with it, but I'll look for it later and get back to you

Let me know if you find it and how much it would be for shipping to La Vista, NE; zip code 68128

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
When I went out to put the plate on the popup and make a list of the things I need to repair (very minimal) I noticed it had a pot metal license plate holder and didn't really need one. 

I thought it would alleviate the bend I have in the front plate of the Eagle.  So I tried it out today with a spacer I made out of a plastic pants hanger I found.  It improves the angle, but I am afraid I am still going to get pulled over because the plate still leans down some.  I'll go snap a picture and show you what I mean.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk