News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 08, 2024, 09:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric fuel pump specs  (Read 4308 times)

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Electric fuel pump specs
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:38:05 AM »
I have decided to add an electric fuel pump at the tank. What psi range is optimal for supplying the Motorcraft carb?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:58:27 PM by George Mann »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Electric fuel pump specs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »
What is your reason for wanting to add the electric pump? I don't think you want to mix a mechanical and electrical pump. Usually just one or the other. The Motocraft likes 4-5 psi.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
I need it to create and maintain fuel pressure between the pump and tank. I thought that 4-5psi would be optimal. Once the pressure is correct, there shouldn't be any issues with using the mechanical pump.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
Sorry, I'm still a little confused. Are you having fuel delivery problems? The mechanical pump is a puller pump. They shouldn't have any problems pulling fuel from the tank and supplying ample pressure for a carburated engine. There shouldn't be any pressure between the mechanical pump and the tank. It might put undo stress on the diaphragm of the mechanical pump and possibly cause the crankcase to fill up with fuel.  I have a stock replacement mechanical pump feeding my Motorcraft with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator set at 4.5 psi. My engine is worked over a bit and I have no fuel delivery problems. If you want to run an electric pump. I would bypass the mechanical pump.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:49:45 AM »
eagle freak is correct.  Pick one or the other.  Don't put pressure on the backside of the mechanical pump.   Not only is there a possibility of the diaphragm rupturing and filling the crank case with fuel or spraying fuel out the vent and all over your engine, engine compartment, and the ground, but you may just defeat the mechanical pumps spring, filling the pumping chamber with fuel keeping the diaphragm from being lifted by the pump lever.  in essence bypassing the mechanical pumps ability to pump.  The spring under the diaphragm is actually what is pushing the fuel to the carb.  The pump levers only job is to compress that spring pulling the fuel into the chamber.  then the spring pushes that fuel toward the carb as needed.

Also, the pressure on the backside may cause the check-valve in the mechanical pump to remain open or not fully seat defeating the springs ability to push the fuel to the carb, pushing fuel in 2 directions, back against the electric pump and up to the carb.

If you are having problems with the mechanical pump, look for the reason why.  Is the pump bad?  is the pickup in the tank plugged up?   Is the fuel filter plugged up?  do you have a crushed fuel line?  Is the carb starving for fuel: is the float set correctly, or is the float valve sticking closed?    If the mechanical pump is good and you still have problems, you could install the electric pump and still have the same problems.

If you install the electric pump, make sure it is as close to the fuel source as possible because it is designed to push fuel not pull it. 

In a diesel many times you will have a lift pump and then the main pump to the injectors.  But system is designed that way.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:03:12 AM by Monkeyjoe »
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
Well, right or wrong, I have decided to eliminate the mechanical pump as a source of potential problems. But that still leaves my original query unanswered.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:01:10 PM by George Mann »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »
4-5 psi is what I have heard and that's what I have my fuel pressure regulator set for.

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »
OK. I will start with 5psi.
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk