News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 3 79 amx's  (Read 5498 times)

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
My 3 79 amx's
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
So I have been collecting my amx's for a bit over 10 years. I finished a full nut and bolt restoration on my white amx around 2 years ago. My black amx I just finished a full restoration this fall. Both of them run a 360 with a t5. Both cars were done in a single bay garage.. Did the glass work, paint work, engine work, wiring, interior, decals etc all our selfs(me and my dad).  Both cars have a bunch of small tricks done to them. Bumpers tucked, front lowered, wiring to bare min in the engine bays

Lastly is an original paint low mile 304 4 speed red amx. After I finish up my cuda I will be restoring it at some point.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: My 3 79 amx's
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
Welcome and beautiful cars. While in 10th grade, I remember sitting in Power Mechanics class (intro to auto mechanics) in 1984 and drooling over a black 79 AMX in an Auto Trader ad.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
Wow, beautiful AMXs! You do good work. Jealous of two sets of full louvers!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Thanks. Actually have 4 sets of louvers. I have a full set for red amx and full set on
My sx4.  If you look at body area if this forum I have reproduction side louvers almost ready to shop. About 2 weeks

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 02:41:22 AM »
Very cool! And very good to hear. I might be contacting you sometime down the road! :)

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
Just a few pictures of how far the black amx was tore down. Was suppose to be a true flordia car and ended up having a ton of metal replaced. Have no pictures of the front suspension and rear out. I had about every bolt out of this car. Every part was either cleaned, restored or replaced. Did it in 7 months start to finish all in house. Paint, motor, glass, interior etc. Never let my driveway. Did two full 1/4s, wheel houses, floor pans, used clean door and fenders. Car has no rust now

I've had the white one tore down pretty far as well but didn't need any sheet metal replacement but car still got the same going over. The red one will be up soon for the same treatment.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:56:58 PM »
Wow so much for A Florida car. Must have been too close to the coast! I'd love to have that black one! Can't wait to see what you do with the red one!

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 10:32:24 PM »
I think the car was a northen car and went to flordia. When we got it it looked pretty decent but after 10 years stuff come through and it come time to do it right. I hate patching rust I rather change entire panel. Frame frames and structure was solid though.

Took the 1/4s off an 83 sx4 car I bought. I original bought the sx4 for the mopar 6 pack engine that was installed in it. That engine got rebuilt and put into my duster.

The doors come from the guy I bought my brown sx4 from(the matte black one now). Would of never found the car unless I needed doors so it all worked out.

Red car will be getting a built 360(on my engine stand already) with a t5. Gonna take what I learned from both of the others and do all the tricks into one car.

Few more pics

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk