News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 09:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SX/4 rear hatch silinoid needs replaced (2 part issue)  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
SX/4 rear hatch silinoid needs replaced (2 part issue)
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »
ok... first let me explain what happen. some how the wires for the rear hatch solenoid were worn through the insulation and made contact with the door plate (The piece inside the cabin that helps clean up the appearance under door) anyway it shorted out and nearly caught fire... I went in and tried rewiring it, but I think it melted off some where further in to the side panel OR fried the solenoid or both... (Yeah I know what you are thinking... and yes it sucked HARD) anyway... I am now in need of one, and am considering a possible solution that not only will help prevent it, but will also help in running them else where in the future.

I have seen newer mini vans with contact points on the door, and I am thinking that with the right application a person could run the wires to the contacts through the doors and down the body without having to worry about such an event happening again (in theory) has anyone tried this? if so get back and let us know how it worked as I would like to apply this to other applications (Like speakers) as there are plenty of contact point options and sizes available

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: SX/4 rear hatch silinoid needs replaced (2 part issue)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »
For what it's worth, you may want to check out replacement solenoids for pinball machines.  They're about the same size coil with a very similar plunger.  There were so many various coils made that I'll bet something would be a great match.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
Re: SX/4 rear hatch silinoid needs replaced (2 part issue)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
THANK YOU! I didn't realize it was so inexpensive, But now I know what to look for and how much I expect to spend, EGGS AWAY!

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk