News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old 2100 conversion...  (Read 2613 times)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Old 2100 conversion...
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
I have what I believe may be an old 2100 carb conversion setup from Gronk or other(based on the adapter plate which is a nice machined unit that takes allens to mount to the manifold & the down pull adapter.) It came with the car when I got it(not installed) the best I can makeout from the documentation(including a prior owners notebook) that came with the car the entire conversion setup was bought second hand from someone that had it on a CJ, then pulled the whole engine for a V8 swap.  I installed it, bypassed the ECM, timed it to about 13BTDC(4500+ MSL here) Idles pretty well now, though I still need to get the choke hooked up & adjusted, but when I took it around the block even a VERY slight acceleration makes it want to die.  I've been trying to ID this carb(source) with out much luck so far.  It has a long accelerator pump as well as a tall(2 stage?) power valve cover, and of course NO tag.  I can't remember the engineering numbers stamped into the front "foot" at the moment, but they did not provide any assistance via google.  I've been told that it's likely a ruptured power valve, but can't seem to find a good definition of the 2 stage vs single stage powervalve or which I might need.

Anyone got any thoughts on what this beast might be from???

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Re: Old 2100 conversion...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
Pics of carb in question:

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
What's the jet size on the side? First pic almost shows it. (is there an echo in here?)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:52:12 AM »
i had the same problem after i did my conversion -- it is probably your vacuum advance to distributor.  inside the port on the distributor is a little allen set screw that needs to be adjusted.  my issue was that the vacuum advance was basically fully on at idle.  i forget which direction does what, you can properly set when your vac advance kicks in.  took a lot of trial and error to get it right.
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
you should have next to no vacume on the ported vac off the carb so all but no advance right.  I can take the vac line on and off the dizzy at idle & see miniscule change.  however if I put like 5" of vac on it it visibly changes the timing.  So I think that the timing aspect & vac adv shold be pretty close.  I'm currently thinking that I have a bad/cracked/dried out/blown power valve.  Gonna pull the card to check it out/replace it shortly if anyone local has one...

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
all valid theories...you shouldn't have any vac advance til your mechanical. i think mechanical tops out around 20? i'll look for the distributor curves i found later when i'm actually on a computer
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk