News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 09:52:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warning on Microguard Brand 3 way gas filters  (Read 4733 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Warning on Microguard Brand 3 way gas filters
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:36:04 PM »
Saw this on another forum and thought it was important enough to share.  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=145497

"So I've been trying to track down intermittant fuel problems with my 79 Chero..rebuilt the card, checked all sorts of things...guess what the problem was?

On that metal 3 way filter, you have an In, Return, and OUT to carb..apparently, they use hot glue inside the filter. It had broken up (since this spring) and was randomly clogging the gas going to the carb. I have a filter off the tank before this filter, and one after it both to the carb AND on my return line..so basically this filter should NEVER see anything as large as the CRAP I pulled out of it. Once I pinpointed it as the culprit, I swapped on the identical looking WIX one I had taken off....no more problems."
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Re: Warning on Microguard Brand 3 way gas filters
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:07:51 AM »
My friend Kenny had an issue with a Microguard filter once recently on his Ford Escape.  He changed the oil and filter; then filled it up.  Then, when he started the engine he heard a noise he hadn't heard before.  Oil was flowing out around the filter. 

When he went to investigate after shutting off the engine he found the inside of the filter had broken apart. 

There are only a couple of brands I trust for the screw on type filters, and autozone usually accommodates me in the oil change specials. 

I am still trying to find a filter I like for the Saturn.  It has a cartridge style filter that has been a big pain in the #$%^& for the last 2 oil changes.  Really my only complaint of the Saturn except that the horn doesn't work.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip.   I have about a half-dozen new Wix, and a half-dozen new cheapie versions (not MicroGard, tho) in personal stock.   I may cut open one of the cheapies to see how its made before I use them on one of my babies.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:46:24 AM »
I do believe the Microgard filters are made by the same company that makes Fram.  Everyone has a strong opinion about Fram.  I have used the Microgard filters, Oil air and fuel on all of my rigs with no issues, as with any product there are going to be some issues here and there.  Just my  $.02
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:56:17 AM »
im one who beleives spending $2 more for a high quality WIX filter is MUCH cheaper than an engine rebuild (oil filter) or carb rebuild (micro gaurd) ill go for the wix any day. made in the USA and MUCH better quality. wont see anything but wix, or napa gold on my cars. (napa filter are wix) fuel, air, oil, what ever. no cheep chinese GARBAGE!!!! how much does a new motor, or the frustration trying to figure out why your car wont run, when the glue in the fuel filter plugged up your carb? now you got to rebuild your carb. or, your burning tons of oil, rings are wore out, and you pull the air filter, just to see your carb is full of dust. (ask me why i wont use cheap air filters when im at the ranch/farm all the time) just saying my thoughts... cheaper in the long run to spend more money... you cant convince me otherwise.

I agree oil and filters are a poor place to skimp.  But there is always someone who has had an issue with every product.  I work in the auto parts world and I work with customers on a daily basis and I have customers that would never use a WIX, Purilator, Fram, Bosch, Mann, Fleetgard etc...  There are tons of opinions and experiences out there.  I have fleet customers that only use the cheapest filters because they stick to a tight service schedule and they don't see value in buying the better service parts if they service them much sooner than recommended.  I can't argue the logic.  I think it is important to use what makes you comfortable and don't do your shopping based on price alone. 

Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »
NAPA has just come out with the Platinum series, to meet the newest guidelines for filtration.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk