News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 06:26:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diesel/Gas Electric Eagle - would it fly?  (Read 27591 times)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Diesel/Gas Electric Eagle - would it fly?
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
And there's a new diesel engine coming out.
Honda's 1.6 litre i-DTEC turbo diesel giving
  • 120 PS (118 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm and
  • 300 Nm (221 ft-lb) of torque @ 2,000 rpm.

Fuel injection from Bosch at 1800bar.
Fuel economy on their new car should go from 67 mpg to 78 mpg.

Lose the Eagle 4.2l, transmission & transfer-case, add an electric at each front wheel and the rear drive shaft, drive them from this diesel, should still be a weight savings too. New motor control circuits detect rpm while providing driving current, so coordinating torque between the three electric motors should be fairly easy.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
For some reason this one popped up as a new post? Oh well. I have LPG and electric planned for my '84 J10. The battery packs will be quickly changeable and I can even leave them off for local driving. Same with the LPG system tanks. Cars aren't really built to drag around a bunch of batteries and trucks are but you rarely hear of them converting trucks, yet hybrid buses are used daily in cities.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »
priuses use a very small four cylinder engine to turn an electric motor to charge the battery, or to provide extra power to the electric motor. that is the drive train. i don't remember if the engine increases rpm, or if it just runs at one speed the whole time though.  i would find an engine that has just enough power to run the electric motor,  and be able to be started by that electric motor as well. i dont think i would want to try and push around the 258 just to spin an electric motor. another thought is, you will want to add electric power steering, find a new way to have an assist for brakes. im not sure how gm or toyota does it. and you will want a A/C compressor that is ran electrically. the early priuses also have a 12v battery to power everything else in the car. so you will need a way to keep that charged, i believe there is a convertor for that. i do think the eagle looks way better than a first gen prius any day

i just seen that this was an old post, wish i would have seen that earlier. btw sorry about the mention of the toyota
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:54:18 PM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk