News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:32:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Ideas  (Read 33595 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Engine Ideas
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
In retrospect, I would put a 5.0L Ford in with a T5 and just use a beefed up Jeep T5 trans with Ford input shaft and bellhousing.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2015, 12:36:49 PM »
All these VW diesels around with the Dieselgate scandal. I wonder if there are any 3.0L diesels in the junkyard with AWD that are still useable from a Tiguan or similar. Would be a pretty cool swap.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »
Anyone want to do overkill? I have a '94? Isuzu NPR with 4BD2TC motor (needs a headgasket) and Jatco automatic. I was using it for storage, but things changed BIG time and I'm getting a pair of 20 foot storage containers (or one 40 foot with middle and end doors) so I'm going to sell it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »
Looking through craigslist for rebuild-able cores i came across a 360, i wonder if a longer stroke built 360(built for torque) matted to a beefed  998, would be a great candidate for a swap...

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
Since the motor is offset, you might run into the same issues others have. I would still do a 727 from a Grand Wagoneer.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 10:40:19 PM »
Hmmm, what do you mean offset? like floor pan getting in the way or shafts not lining up properly?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2015, 02:41:50 AM »
hi, I love this thread, what motor can we put in an Eagle? short answer, any one you want! The real question is, why? What will a foreign, (to AMC), motor do for your Eagle? Want to go faster? do an AMC  V8, has been done a few times. Or a GM LS1, last I heard this is being attempted, 3 years in now, still not done., both at great cost and unbelievable fabrication skills that most of us do not have. Want better fuel economy? No matter what motor, it still has to move about 3300 lbs of car, putting in a Honda Civic 1.8 ain't gonna cut it. How about a SAAB 4 cyl, they face backwards! That would be real cool! Want smooth, modern power, there are quite a few Lexus and Infinity V8s in salvage yards now, just drop one in! Want something freaky different, just because you can? How about an air cooled TATRA V8? Want retro? how about a Ford flathead, or Hudson 6? Want to go total 21st century? Pop in a drivetain from the Nissan Leaf. No gas to buy ever again!
Point being, the Eagle was designed for the AMC 6. the 4.2, and can be relatively easily upgraded to the 4.0, and really, nothing else, without major, major surgery. (not even talking about the 2.5 4cyl now) The TV show Eagle, Ford V8? really nice car, I mean that, it's a really nice car and i like it. But, it is now two wheel drive, so, no longer an Eagle, it's closer to a hot rod Concord now, still, a really nice car.
having said all that, any and all that want to try weird motors in an Eagle, GO FOR IT! and post pictures. good luck, gz

Offline jpgreen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2015, 01:31:51 PM »

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2015, 05:44:19 PM »
Hmmm, what do you mean offset? like floor pan getting in the way or shafts not lining up properly?
With the weight of the front diff on the drivers side they moved the engine a little to the passenger side to balance it out . V8s have been installed in Eagles but all that I've seen had straight axle swapped in for the IFS .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »
With the weight of the front diff on the drivers side they moved the engine a little to the passenger side to balance it out . V8s have been installed in Eagles but all that I've seen had straight axle swapped in for the IFS .
Hyper Eagle makes the mounts to install a AMC V8 with the IFS. His Eagle has/had the 360 with the IFS installed quite a few years ago. There was a 318 powered Eagle with IFS.  There was a member on another forum who said he worked at an AMC dealership in Alaska and they installed a couple Chevy 350's in some 4 cyl Eagles when they were brand new.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2015, 02:50:35 AM »
yup, says it all, that Gale Banks 866T, nice motor! STARTS at $15,980., love to see one in an Eagle! post pictures! gz

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
Hmmm,  i may reach out to him  to get a set for the "just in case" moment of swapping a 360!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2016, 01:28:47 AM »

The Offset Clearance is for the front driveshaft on driver's side. They moved the whole drivetrain 2.5" to the right, which makes the AMC V8 not an easy fit with an Eagle front diff unless you get a custom motor mount design and custom RH exhaust header plus you need the XJ style starter. (same as '87-'91 Grand Wagoneer)

Hmmm,  i may reach out to him  to get a set for the "just in case" moment of swapping a 360!

Or a 304 or 401.  >:D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:30:32 AM by carnuck »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2016, 02:03:38 AM »
yup, says it all, that Gale Banks 866T, nice motor! STARTS at $15,980., love to see one in an Eagle! post pictures! gz

I have a 4BD2TC Isuzu NPR diesel truck engine that was going to go into a Grumman van but since he flaked and dumped 4 of his cars at my place, I guess it's not going to happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk