News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 25, 2024, 12:20:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GM fanboy bashing AMC  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
GM fanboy bashing AMC
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
I wouldn't normally do this, and usually I just ignore these types of comments, but...

Some GM fanboy posted on one of my AMC videos: 

"Those where some cool cars the problem was the mis match of parts from different US manufacturers to build them ! Dodge, Ford ,GM I would use a GM modern Lq4 v8 with an 4L60E the trailblazer has a very similar suspension design"

Personally, I never saw this as a 'Problem' when you're saving money (why design a new one, when you can buy one?) 

I find this a very stupid comment, but I could be totally wrong here, as a good number of you all have alot more knowledge then I do about AMC...
I just find it kinda ignorant of any car company.  Most of them do 'Platform Sharing'.  (This might not fall under the typical Platform sharing that most would agree on.)

I don't know, is his comment pretty stupid, or fairly correct?

http://youtu.be/VXo1SAbKEn8

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: GM fanboy bashing AMC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »
I'd say pretty stupid.  So they used Delco alternators and Saginaw PS pumps; BFD!!   Since he mentions a different engine in the blurb, he's probably buying into all those bogus AMC engine comments floating around; like "the 390 is a Ford motor, the 401 is a Buick motor, the old 327 is a Chevy motor -- and on and on.......
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:39:49 PM »
Just about everyone has used others parts. Chrysler used cummmins engines, ford used IH diesels, and GM has used isuzu diesels. IH also used Amc engines in both the light truck and agricultural line. Sometimes it just makes sense to use someone elses product instead of attempting to make your own
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
Yes, why re-invent the wheel?
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »
Gee if you offered a bumper to bumper warranty let some other part manufacturer eat the cost of replacement if they sent you a crap part..  More of the same old crap from the ill informed.  BTW, Roy Lunn in his Eagle project proposal estimated $100 per unit for warranty repairs.  That shows confidence. That was probably the same amount AMC factored in for all of their cars.  You know that AMC inspected the failed parts to determine what the failure issue was and put the makers on notice that parts will no longer be purchased if they sent crap.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Newgenerationamcer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:43 AM »
Hey I found a Wed site which shines a little lit on the subject I have no clue if it's legit but it s the only info I found hope it helps  here's the link http://amchornet.com/Resources__AMC_Myths.html

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
That is one of the better researched articles.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk