News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 23, 2024, 03:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buyers remorse  (Read 8113 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Buyers remorse
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:01 PM »
Was looking around on other forums and seen a similar interesting thread, so I thought I'd ask it here since most do have something that they regret getting or not.

What was your last/biggest buyers remorse (as in "What was I Thinking") purchase?
Or is there anything you kick yourself in the hindend for not purchasing? (Those things that you didn't buy but should have)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:14:26 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: Buyers remorse
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:09:03 AM »
Well at the point Penny is starting to make me regret purchasing her! Had I not I probably wouldn't have passed up on the nice yellow Kammback that was for sale in Michigan a couple months ago.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
I've regretted buying my WRX since the first time I washed it.... The fenders are so thin you feel like you could crush them in just by scrubbing on them. And it doesn't help that the other half was :censored: off that I bought it... We were supposed to buy her a truck to pulled her horses before I bought my commuter car. But I saw the Subaru and bought it on impluse. I was just excited to get a modern sports car and figured that the good gas mileage was a bonus. Most of the reason I'm trying to sell it is that the insurance is bloody expensive!  Well, that and I found a sweet SX4 to replace it!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:43:34 AM by DownwardFlame »
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »
If you were wanting good gas mileage you shouldn't have bought the turbo! :)

What year is your WRX? Me and my wife own a 2007 Impreza Wagon Non-Turbo.

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:06:58 PM »
Its an '06, (in Sig, lol) and it gets about 25 mpg highway, which is awesome compared to what my truck gets. I was using it for almost a year to commute back and forth to work and 8-10 mpg makes a pretty big dent in my paycheck. That and it only has a 16gal tank so was filling up about 3 times a week.
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »
Cool! So it's a Hawkeye like ours! Yeah I went from Eagle wagon to a Ford Festiva. Average 16mpg to average 37mpg! :)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
Mine was my 1977 Lincoln Mark V. NEVER buy a non-running car unless its (nearly) free......I never got that thing working....sold it to a buddy for way less than I had in it.  He then....lol....made it into a monster truck. Go figure.

Biggest regret? Probably selling the 1978 Lincoln Town Coupe I sold when I bought the Mark V.....that thing was baddddd butt (400M with Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley four barrel...true dual exhaust with no cats.)  The next would be my Camry. While a GREAT car and deal....I just wasn't ready to lease a car yet...and I decided it wasn't my thing shortly after I bought it. LONG time til I could get rid of it.

My Eagle, like Penny....(ok, not as bad as Penny) was a bigger project than I ever envisioned. Another lesson...never buy a car at dusk. But, she's my baby and I love her  ;D
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
Although I did eventually make the purchase, I regret all the winters I drove in PA before I finally bought snow tires. That was so much unnecessary terror.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
Although I did eventually make the purchase, I regret all the winters I drove in PA before I finally bought snow tires. That was so much unnecessary terror.
I can sorta understand that. Due to the Loser's drama last year sucking me dry of all funds I had to put off the much needed tires that I was planning on purchasing before winter. I don't get winter tires here due to being in the south but get all seasons. And this winter was one of the worse for us down here (we get ice, no snow hardly). My poor old tires were SO bad! Lots of butt puckering moments on my way home from work (never seemed to fail that it would start icing after I was at work). And with my tires even a little water on the roads was starting to give me problems.
Finally was able to get new shoes for the poor ol Loser last month, just in time for Spring. I now realize how bad those old tires really were, no more road noise & a lot less of the road vibrations.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
I had a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 with a 351 cleveland, 4 barrel 4 speed.  It was driveable but would have taken a lot of to get it into good condition,  The engine blew and I sold it to a Mustang shop in 2001.  Still wish I would have been able to keep that car and restore it.  I saw a similar one driving home from work today.

On the bright side, selling that car allowed me to pick up my 72 one owner Gremlin that I still have.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
I've regretted buying my WRX since the first time I washed it.... The fenders are so thin you feel like you could crush them in just by scrubbing on them. And it doesn't help that the other half was :censored: off that I bought it... We were supposed to buy her a truck to pulled her horses before I bought my commuter car. But I saw the Subaru and bought it on impluse. I was just excited to get a modern sports car and figured that the good gas mileage was a bonus. Most of the reason I'm trying to sell it is that the insurance is bloody expensive!  Well, that and I found a sweet SX4 to replace it!  ;D

Boy.....if I had put a vehicle in front of a tow vehicle for my wife's horse....yeeshh, I shudder to think how she would have killed me in my sleep....
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
2007 Dodge Caliber Moneypit. Low quality parts that need to be replaced way to early.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »
I didn't by a nice '72 Bonneville convertible with a 455 that was for sale at a small place. It was only $5,000 and I had enough over a couple of bank accounts to do it. I figured if it was still there in a couple of days I would get it, as I wasn't real sure as I was driving by I had all the cash together. It was gone.

This was when I was still single, so there would have been no one else to think about. I should have pulled right in and put everything I knew I had down on it.

Now, I'm not a real sports car guy, so a big comfy ride like that is up my alley, and I could have put a hitch on the back and used it to tow anything with that big engine, like people did back before everyone thought you needed an SUV or pickup truck to move a trailer. Sure it could have had some bondo or other 'hidden' problems, but I would have driven it, not shown it.

I sometimes wish I had saved up for a more complete Pacer, one with A/C and front disc brakes, but it was a standard, under $1,000, and almost rust-free sitting right here in Pennsylvania. I was able to drive it home and fix it up. You know what? I've learned to love the 3-on-the-tree, it's not anywhere close to it's reputation for problems and it adds to the uniqueness of the car.

I had one of those boxy 80's Subaru wagons that warped a head. That was a great car as well. I should have gotten a new head on it, because as beat up as it was (and it would have needed a new transmission at some point) it had lots of space, got nearly 30mpg, and there's something really fun about pushing a tiny engine for all it's worth to get the car up the mountain at 65. It was the transmission that pushed it over at the time. Oh, and the A/C blew like ice.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 03:59:38 PM »

Boy.....if I had put a vehicle in front of a tow vehicle for my wife's horse....yeeshh, I shudder to think how she would have killed me in my sleep....
yeah, she wasn't very happy, but I was able to get the payments on the WRX fairly low so that we were still able to afford a decent truck. There's a pic of it in my sx4 thread with the trailer and sx hooked up.
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
There's a couple that I didn't buy that really bother me.  First was a '71 Mustang 351 Cleveland 4 barrel 4 speed, factory air conditionhing for $1800.  Second was a '60 Impala convertible with a Corvette motor and trans for $2300.  What was I thiniking!?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk