News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 10, 2024, 06:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i know we like eagles, but how about ponies?  (Read 30611 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
Re: i know we like eagles, but how about ponies?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »
Were alot different, you and me.   haha, I can't stand that window.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Rear window notwithstanding, the Ford Taurus is a good car. It's a bit stodgy, but it's sturdy.

My employer has a pool of them. They're driven by everyone and their brothers, and have upwards of 250k miles on original engines. Those Tauruses keep going.

I found a Taurus for my 90-year-old mom a couple of years ago after she had wrecked her third Chevy Cavalier. She complains that it's a "little old lady's car" but it carries her about reliably and safely. Car-wise, I think the Taurus is the best thing that's happened to my mom. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
Yes as I said I have nothing against it, and i have no experience with them.  I just think they're ugly, but i think that about most 90's to early 2000 cars.  I could say I wouldn't drive one, but if given the opportunity, I'd drive just about anything.  I enjoy experiencing new cars i suppose. 

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »
Yes as I said I have nothing against it, and i have no experience with them.  I just think they're ugly, but i think that about most 90's to early 2000 cars.  I could say I wouldn't drive one, but if given the opportunity, I'd drive just about anything.  I enjoy experiencing new cars i suppose.
Yeah, I give you that they're ugly. For that matter, many people thought Eagles were ugly when they came out. The naysayers, however, became very quiet when Eagles started passing them by on slick, snowpacked mountain roads. :eagle:
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
my family thinks they're ugly.  I thought kammebacks were ugly, and now i'd like to have one.  I think the big appeal for me (because as of right now, I can't drive one) is the stories.  how many cars can you have so much fun with?  I love the cone of confusion.  the one time I did drive one, the steering was lighter than air.  How cool of a car this is, for a second car. (and the first one I'm buying all by my self)  my soon to be eagle has around 30K miles, so I get to grow up with this car.  could anyone ask more? 

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:39 AM »
Be prepared for some unflattering comments from those who don't know any better.
I have one friend who insists that AMC stands for "A Momma's Car". My answer to him is that the "R" is silent and AMC stands for "A Real Man's Car"!!  ;D

On the other hand, I had a young lady ask me, the other day, if my car was a Gremlin!! I was impressed because she was obviously still in her teens. Granted there are are differences between an SX/4 and a Gremlin, but for a teenager to come so close really amazed me.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
Be prepared for some unflattering comments from those who don't know any better.
I have one friend who insists that AMC stands for "A Momma's Car". My answer to him is that the "R" is silent and AMC stands for "A Real Man's Car"!!  ;D

I once owned an International pickup.  The one-armed counter guy at what was then the nearest house of parts never missed an opportunity to remind me of my oddball "Inter-trash-onal" truck. The pickup and the parts house are both gone, but I got used to smart-alecky comments about my choice of motorized vehicles quickly. :eagle:

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »
the majority of people I talk to are young like me, so they don't even know what AMC is.  If someone does know what it is,  and gave me any trash talk, I'd just have to ask them about their bike? oh wow, is that a 5 speed?  ::)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
the majority of people I talk to are young like me, so they don't even know what AMC is.  If someone does know what it is,  and gave me any trash talk, I'd just have to ask them about their bike? oh wow, is that a 5 speed?  ::)
Many people my age (64) have forgotten what AMC is. AMC ignorance is not confined to the young. :eagle:

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
Big fan of ford? Is that like 9 including Lincoln and mercury?  I'm not biased but id defiantly go Chevy or dodge before ford.  Is wish Pontiac wasn't defunct.  I like the newer G series.  Not that they're pony cars or anything.

I like Lincolns. A lot. I don't know why, but I love 'em. There are actually only two Ford-branded cars on there, and I guess in my head the F150 barely counts as it was a temporary car I needed for about a month. I guess I still see Lincoln as representing that bigger is better opulance of the 60's and 70's that made luxo-barges great.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
I can't get behind "luxo barges"  I get that they're classy but I can't see the fun in something you couldn't hid behind a house trailer without both ends poking out behind it.
 :P   

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2014, 09:36:37 PM »
Old school styled Jeeps.

I'd love to have one of those old Willys pickup trucks.  I found this one in the junkyard and have been wanting one ever since.  This thing was a beast!!

Oh man, you gotta see my bosses rig lol. I'll take some pics of it tomorrow.  :P

My first car is a 70 Mustang coupe. (avatar lol)
I'm primarily a ford guy, but they didn't do themselves any favors with the bubble window.
I can appreciate a luxo barge every once in awhile, especially when its a '69 Lincoln mark III. (worked on one awhile back, had a built 460 in it)
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
Not a fan of fox body mustangs, but to each his own.  I'm big on anything that equals wierd 80s tech.  So I'm ok with the Buick Riviera, with the digital touchscreen stuff.  I love that junk, even if it was terrible.
I'm not sure how many people like super cars, but I'd throw away my life savings for a BMW M1. 

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »
If we're listing what we've owned, I'll add my own few to the list here:

1) '63 olds f-85 wagon. 215 aluminum v-8. Gave to my niece when I joined the Army in '74 (funny, she doesn't talk to me now, wonder why?)

2) '60s (don't even remember the year now) olds (again. Didn't learn the first time.). Had just finished basic training & was home on leave, wanted something & my brother had just gotten that traded in. Had to be cheap, something I could pay cash for. Blew up & sent it to the junkyard where it belonged in texass.

3) '64 Plymouth Fury 2 door 318 2 Bbl. & "Typewriter" tranny (push-button auto.). Solid body except for one small hole in the rocker panel, ran okay. Interior shot. Gave to my dad when I went home on leave.

4) (Now y'all gonna like it) '72 Gremlin X Purple, 304 2Bbl. & 3 on the floor. Surprised a few people one night back home. 3 up & 3 down. Gremlin 3 - others zero! Ended up selling when I got orders to Germany maybe 6(?) months later.

5) Year unknown, never did get past temporary plates. V.W. Sedan. NOT Beetle, not their wagon (squareback?). Bought in Germany & couldn't get it through inspection plus all the stuff it would've needed to bring stateside (sealed beams, safety glass, etc.). P.D.O. before leaving.

6) '67 Cougar 289 2 Bbl., 3 on the floor. First thing I'd owned that I was able to keep for a while. Still young & tried to make a Hot Rod out of it. Swapped a top loader 4 speed in, got wheels & tires on it. Looked pretty good for 10 years old. Later had my niece's husband (same niece that isn't talking to me now) swap a 351 Cleveland 2 Bbl. in it. Not the sharpest marble in the drawer, found out later he didn't hook up the motor mounts & only a couple of the tranny bolts.
Ended up trading it to a junkyard for a

7) '65 Fairlane 500 2 door. 289, auto on the column. Lasted about a week before it died, had new exhaust (required for inspection) & lost oil pressure on the interstate. Resurrected it, got a '69 302 from the junkyard & had it put in. Later found out it had a burnt valve. Ran great though & used to beat the fecal matter-rolet out of it! Me & a buddy would take it out & leaving a bar, I'd powerbrake it. Always broke the LEFT rear loose UNLESS it was sitting on a hill sideways at the right angle. Let another niece & her boyfriend at that time use it (she was junior? senior? in high school). They hit a deer. They went to a junkyard & got another radiator & fan. They put it back together (had found out the quarter panels were FULL of bondo) & got it running again. Had a tranny leak, found out they just cut the lines to the radiator & slipped hose over it. Put clamps on the hose & fixed it. Drove it till I went back into the Army. Had my brother sell it while I was gone.

8.) '74 (? Not sure on the year) Mustang II V-6 auto on the floor. Drove that for a while & traded in on a '74 Monaco Ex-CHiPs. Got orders for Korea, spent a year there. Came back & drove it home to Pa. where I traded it on my FIRST NEW car.

9) My FIRST NEW car AND my FIRST Eagle! '81 Kamback, yellowish over brown. 258, 4 speed. Fairly stripped model. IF I remember right, other than P.B., & P.S. (which may have been standard by then), the only thing it had was A/C & an AM radio. Drove it for about a year (after coming back from Korea, my orders sent me to New Mexico) & didn't really like it. Went to a dealer & sat down with an order form. Picked out what I wanted & ordered my next NEW car (&next Eagle). Traded it in on

10) '82 Eagle wagon I ordered the way I wanted it. 258, 5 speed. P.B., P.S., A/C, AM/FM-Cassette Stereo (fancier of the two). ALMOST ordered the gauge package, but I liked the clock it had instead of the other little one you got with the gauge package. Drove it for a while (couple years), got married, wife started a small oriental grocery & we needed a pickup. So the Eagle left & was replaced by

11) '85(? Guessing on the year here) Dogde pickup. Long/smooth side bed, V-8 (forget if it was a 318 or 360) auto. Pretty fancy bought off the lot.

12) Started making enough money (& wife was working somewhere. Store failed - BIG time) we needed a second car. She thought V.W. Rabbits were cute, so we got her an '86 (?) 4 door. Not fancy, auto. P.B., P.S., 7 A/C (almost required there). No stereo, dealer ordered EVERYTHING without & then sold stereos separate.

Fast forward to driving truck & my wife going with me. No cars, didn't need one. Leg gets busted, move back to New Mexico. Eventually picked up

13) A '73(?) '75(?) LTD 4 door with a 460. DRANK the gas, rebuilt the carb, helped for a little while. Started making noise, pulled a valve cover, pushrod was busted in half. Put it back on & traded for

14) A '77 Monaco 4 door, 318 2 Bbl. (think Hunter, police TV show). Drove it , had to get a tranny from the junkyard. Torque convertor neck was cracked & it kept losing fluid. Kept that till after the settlement & moving here.

15) Bought NEW with cash from my settlement, a '94 Dogde 1500 set up ALMOST exactly the way I'd have ordered one. I'd have gotten a different color, better stereo, & the heavy duty 360 instead of the standard.

16) Traded the old faithful Monaco on an '88(? year) Dogde Diplomat 4 door 318 2 Bbl., pretty fancy. Drove it for a few years & the tilt steering got WAY loose & it was just over 100,000 miles. Traded it in on a

17) '92 LTD (Crown Victoria). Drove that for not quite 10 years & traded it for

18) USED '01 Ex-city police dept. Crown Victoria - "The Beast" (or as this niece's daughter re-named it, "Speedy Beast").

19) No longer had the Dogde, bought "Old Rusty", '91 F-150, 302 auto. Long/smooth bed. This was after my wife had died & I wanted/needed a truck.

20.) Not sure if I bought BlackBird (THIS Eagle wagon) before or after (I THINK before) I sold the ex-policeman car to my Niece. She traded in her '95(?) '96(?) F150 300 - 6 auto. Sold it for a few more than I gave her trade in (not much, was gonna keep it & use it, but found out it had 2 dead cylinders. She drove it from Cape Girardeau, Mo. to O'Fallon, mo. with only 5 spark plugs in it! Yes, it WAS a 6 cylinder, but it blew the plug out (her late husband, another NOT the sharpest marble in the drawer type "mechanic" had worked on it). That was how "The Beast" became "Speedy Beast". She was used to Ursula (her truck) & went to pass somebody after getting the car. She was a little surprised at the difference! Anyway, I guess I have to count Ursula as

21) Ursula '95 or '96 F-150 300 - 6, auto. Long /smooth bed.

22.) Old Rusty passed away due to recurring dead computers & I now have Bleep, my '95 Jeep Cherokee.

That brings my grand total of OWNED vehicles up to 22. Before I bought my own, I drove my dad's. Rolled his '68? '69? E100 window van & walked away. 300 - 6, 3 on the tree. No power anything anywhere. He bought a '60s ('67 - '69) I THINK Dogde Dart 2 door. 225 - slant 6, auto. on the floor, buckets, console. Other than the slant 6, a pretty nice little NoPar. One of my brother's was driving it & got hit, totaled that out too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:10:51 PM by Pat »
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
Wow, that's quite a list. I'd love to have that cougar, heck, I'd even take the mustang II. But that's because I'm into stuff like that lol. If it don't have some character or isn't hard to find I don't want it. Which is a lot of the reason I'm getting rid of my Subaru.
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk