News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: temp gauge doesn't register, no heat  (Read 13808 times)

AMC lifer

temp gauge doesn't register, no heat
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
The temp. gauge appears to have quit working, or at least doesn't register any temp. The heater output is almost nil. However, it does put out heat after approx 1/2 hour of running.  This is during 50 -60 degree weather.  I have replaced the thermostat twice as I thought I got a bad one. I did discover that the lower radiator hose was leaking.

These hoses have been replaced:
     Upper & lower radiator hoses - mushy on the engine side.  No current leaks after replacement. Upper get hot as it
        should, don't know about the lower hose, I did not check.
     3/4" hose from the water pump to the heater valve - no leaks but doesn't get real warm.
     5/8" hose from engine to thermostat housing - does get hot as it should.

The heater hose at the back of the engine also get hot as it should.

The antifreeze is at normal level.

What could be the issue?

blocked heater core?
bad water pump?
bad heater control valve?

Does the Temp sensor have to be operational for heat to get to the heater?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: temp gauge doesn't register, no heat
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
At the back ds near firewall is a stud/post a single wire might have fallen off of.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »
Sounds like you have a clog in your heater core And either the sending unit is bad or the gauge just quit. and or what he said ^^^^^

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »
You can try grouding the wire from the sending unit, it should give full read out.

Was the heat OK before you worked on the cooling system?
If so, some air maybe trapped near the heater matrix.
You could try cracking one of the heater hoses near the firewall (with a warm and running engine).
Eagles with an A/C also have a heater valve near the fire wall, that may be stuck too, but is mormally stuck in the full open position.
A clogged heater matrix is a common problem on the Eagle.
Normally it needs to be replaced.
Prepare yourself for a day full of blood and adventure.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

AMC lifer

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
Thanks for the information. Since we are just now into the season for the need of the heater again, I don't know how long it hasn't been putting out heat. It did work last spring when I needed it.

I have replaced the heater the heater valve several years ago when it began to leak.

Jurjen, I am assuming when you say heater matrix you are talking about the heater core.

Mudkicker, thanks for letting me know the location of the temp sening unit.

Why don't I find these things out when it is nice weather instead of cool fal weather. I don't have a place to do the work except outside in the backyard

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:04:34 AM »
AMCer, You bring up an interesting point, we don't think about certain things till we need them.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
Yes, I mean heater core, our UK friends use "heater matrix" for the same thing.
Maybe it is just air, you can just try and burp the system.
I should put out a lot of heat, even when it is freezing I have to adjust it near the "cold" setting.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
I would try back flushing the heater core. Take off the two hoses, and run your garden hose to into the outlet. I did this once, and used a milk jug to catch the coolant that came out. After about a day, all the sediment in the coolant settled, and the heater worked a lot better. The next year, I had to do it again though, so you may think about a total cooling system flush.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

AMC lifer

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
An update on the progress?  :banghead: :censored:

After replacing the bothradiator hoses & several heater hoses & the thermostat twice, I do get SOME heat, it does take longer than it should though.  The temp guage still does not work.

Considering the weather, & the lack of an indoor area to work, I have decided to take it to my favorite mechanic & have him get it going if possible. I noticed a dribble of antifreeze on the grould at the front end after the car was shut off. It could be that I didn't get the upper part of the lower hose tight enough or it could be a water pump leak. Normally I could do this but I will pay someone instead of standing out in 45 degree weather with a 25 mile per hour wind blowing.  That is for the forcast in my area.  The next week looks like it could get cooler & snow. I definitly want heat/defrost then. I will post any findings after he works on it. unless it is something more major (engine wise).

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
when you refilled your coolant did you put the car on ramps so the radiator tips up? Sometimes air gets trapped in the system and causes issues. Also I might suggest checking the water pump and thermostat as if the thermostat is stuck open the water won't warm and cool properly.

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:51 PM »
Did you check the wire on the sending unit that mudkicker mentioned?  I sometimes knock mine off when messing around in that area.  It's somewhat hard to see with all that tangle of hoses and wires in the way.  That's very often the cause when the gauge does not move at all.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

AMC lifer

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
No, the car was on level ground at all times.

I would try to flush out the heater core, but one little problem, no outside water hookups.  As I stateed earlier, I only have the outside backyard to work in.  Considering the age of our cars, I would not doubt if there is much gunk built up. I wish they would have taken a lesson from Jeep & put the core under the hood.  Heck my old '78 Ford LDT had the core under the hood.  five screws to remove a cover & the core lifted out.  It took longer to drain the radiator than it did to remove that core.  I'm sure my mechanic will try a flush first rather than tackle a removal.  It takes less time.

Yes I did see the stud at the rear of the engine with the wire on it. I took the wire off & put it back on as it did feel as if it were not on tight. Current weather outside is 50* with a wind of 20-25 with gusts of 30 mph.  No wind block available, much dust/dirt blowing around.

The car goes to the shop on 11/9/11 so I wil find out what is going on then.

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 03:35:56 AM »
Well, Glad to hear you are taking her in for a doctors visit, Good luck.

As for "Gunk" most of our older cars weren't designed to deal with the anti-freeze they have today, I recommend a regular flushing, and I am not 100% but I have seen many comments to the effect when people are complaining about overheating on pre-85 vehicles, Though keep in mind this is also untested by me. Though, I would not be surprised either way if it was true or not. Though I think I will play devils advocate and Say it might be a "Bit" expensive, but in the long run Probably in our best interests as I am sure we don't want to test that theory and find it is true. though, I am sure if you are planning a 4.0 H.O. Upgrade, and need an excuse.

but that's just my 2 cents.

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
Don't use the red antifreeze in your Eagle! It accelerates breakdown and even GM lost millions in the lawsuit over it causing damage!
http://www.stuevesiegel.com/CM/Results/NATIONWIDE-SETTLEMENT-REACHED-IN-GM-DEX-COOL-CLASS-ACTION-LAWSUIT.asp
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
After dealing with gunk in the coolant on my cars, I switched back to the old-fashioned Green coolant. The "All Makes, All Models" extended life coolant always formed gunk in my overflow tank. The OAT coolants are harder on lead solder and more likely to cavitate, as well as forming gunk in overflows. The green stuff never does that.

I never go two years without doing something so it doesn't bother me.

You could also try flushing your cooling system with vinegar to remove mineral deposits. Don't leave it in too long, it will eventually start attacking metal, just add some, run it, and then flush. I was recently reminded about vinegar looking at de-rusting preparations over the weekend.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk