News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:58:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38782 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »
Been traveling and it's been cruddy weather. So not much more done. I did install the speedo cable and installed a rear view mirror.  Maybe this weekend I can bleed the brakes and put gas in it. Getting close!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »
Fueled it up, charged the fuel system and vroom, she started! Timed the engine and topoed off liquids. Bled the brakes, still a little mushy but they work. Might be mc. Set the hood too.  What a great rally car and fun project.  Next up is a paint touch up.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2019, 02:50:09 PM »
I just read through this thread, and I am impressed!  I have not been on here in a while, as I have not had an Eagle for years. It is still fun to see what the Eagle community has done in my absence. I like seeing this type of build. I have done many of the things you have done on your car, and enjoy seeing others have as much fun as I have doing this kind of work. Keep up the good work!!!!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2019, 09:36:14 PM »
Thanks for your post and the compliments.  Glad you read my project. It is surprisingly quiet on this site compared to other sites I belong to, non AMC.  The stored knowledge here is priceless. Something other social media sites have not replicated.  I really like working on this challenging rally car project.  I built/restored several dozen vehicles and this one ranks high on my list.  Im trying to find people that know more about its history but not much success yet.  It's been cold in MI again so the car is waiting for exhaust work and then paint once 5he weather breaks.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2019, 09:49:47 AM »
Great job on the resto.  Your project has inspired some of the modifications I am now implementing on my eagle.  I am trying to install rear disk brakes using the system on your eagle as a template.  Which brings me to my question.  I know you didn't design the original build, but do you know what rear axle hub they used or is it the original turned down so the front brake rotor will fit over it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:50:19 AM by jebidia24 »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2019, 06:21:36 AM »
I dont know the hub number or what it is from.  It does not appear to be turned down either.  So the question is what AMC vehicle had rear disc brakes on a Dana 35 with C clips shafts?  I'm sure someone one here will know the answer and will hopefully post the answer.

Thank on the comp. Still waiting for this cold weather to end.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »
I didn't know your dana 35 had c-clip shafts.  I thought all eagles were the bolt in style.  I know later jeeps with dana 35s and c-clips came with disk brakes but that wasn't until the late 90s and this doesn't look like one of those. Agreed on the cold weather, I'm also a Michigander and I like winter but I've had enough.  9 degrees this morning.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:22:02 AM by jebidia24 »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2019, 01:57:49 PM »
They do but I did not post that info.  When I can, I'll take off rear tires and thoroughly search for a hub number.  I have know idea when the rear axle was installed. Could be from day 1 or ? Interesting though.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »
Took car out for a run on the property.  Still frozen out yet she ripped through the limestone for about 300 feet with all 4 tires and some air at the hump.  Crazy fast car.  Did a doughnut too.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
Thanks for your post and the compliments.  Glad you read my project. It is surprisingly quiet on this site compared to other sites I belong to, non AMC.  The stored knowledge here is priceless. Something other social media sites have not replicated.  I really like working on this challenging rally car project.  I built/restored several dozen vehicles and this one ranks high on my list.  Im trying to find people that know more about its history but not much success yet.  It's been cold in MI again so the car is waiting for exhaust work and then paint once 5he weather breaks.

This site used to be very active, but the Facebook page killed this site.

C clip Dana 35's showed up in the early 90's on Cherokee and with disc brakes on the Grand Cherokee in '96, if I recall.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
The rear axle hubs are stamped on the backside:
LR=  32361
RR=  23513

Perhaps this means something to someone.  They appear to NOT be machined down hubs.

I've started working on the car again,,,above freezing!

Looking for an extra matching rim and used tire. This car use to have 2 spares, but only has one now.  Mounted grab handles on ROPS and 2 water bottle holders.  Getting comfier inside.  Lol.  Mounted RR mud flap and reinforced the cracks with flex tape and 3m black adhesive. Good as new'ish.  Pictures later.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
I have an extra rim no center cap.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »
Don't need a center cap.  Same type as shown in my thread?  Pm the price please.

Here some pictures of some work I've done.  Like the purple mudflap lettering!?

Might need to source this MC. 

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:37:26 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
Fairly certain the master cylinder is a GM unit.  I had a 1981 Buick Regal, it looked identical with the huge cover.

I may still have a couple "Eagle" flaps on my pile, if you want to match the fronts.  PM me if interested.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I will search.  I bled more air out of the brakes and that helped but the cylinder seems weak.

Here is a picture of this car posted by a "Mad Mike" on specialstage site.  It may be at the 1983 100 Acre Wood.  The right rear panel still has the crease.  I like the history of this car!  The stance is awesome and once again it has that stance.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:26:52 PM by RallyEagle »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk