News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 02:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: General Car Confusion  (Read 39655 times)

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • Car Crazy Central profile
Re: General Car Confusion
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 08:35:42 PM »
If I recall correctly, the Ford 300 is the only engine to get less mileage in fuel injected form
But I think I'll stick with the 302 in my truck, but I do love the torque of a good inline sixer

(ps, here is something for the rest of you I 6 lovers:
http://www.genuinehotrod.com/PartDetail.asp?PartId=8071
MMN2 Burnett
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Project
1979 AMX that will probably never run
1993 Jeep Cherokee (Rest in peace)

Offline trailbreaker

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 06:23:40 AM »
i used to own a motorhome with a 300/6 (1967 ford town and country camper) it went pretty well for a brick with wheels
81 eagle sedan
86 eagle sedan
88 f350 crew
88 ramcharger
99 durango (wifes)
95 husqvarna wx350

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »
My first car has been this 81 wagon.  Never owned anything else.  My old man always drove 80s ford trucks, rangers specifically.  So when I first got into my eagle, it smelled right to me, like a car should.  Now driving anything newer than my mothers 02 stratus seems foreign.  My roommate got into a horrible accident and wrecked her saturn (she's fine).  Her parents brokered the deal for her new car, insisting she get a new car, despite her wishes.  She now drives an 08 ford fusion and pays way too much a month for a car that isn't worth it.  I drove this car to pick up my motorcraft 2150 and It had no appeal to me.  It was too stiff, the interior was too bulky-weird and I happen to be blahed out by new car smell.  I would not want to be driving this car cross state lines (my favorite way to drive).  I can't see myself buying a car from this era, specially not a 4 cyl.  I'll pay the gas.
Only you truly know your Eagle.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 10:43:30 PM »
Horse, I agree with you about the gas.
There's more to life than fuel mileage.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »
especially with prices where they are now.  At my old job I used to have to drive the delivery van to the bakery in a pinch, being the only one in the kitchen with a valid license.  That ford e250 is the only v8 I've ever drove.  I hated parking it, but the ease of acceleration with that big engine was worth what ever the gas is.
Only you truly know your Eagle.

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »
(ps, here is something for the rest of you I 6 lovers:
http://www.genuinehotrod.com/PartDetail.asp?PartId=8071

EK that's awesome!  I'm so tempted to get one!  First I need to get a REAL valve cover... mine happens to be from a Ford 300... thanks to one overpaid and underworked mechanic!  Next time I'll do it myself!

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
wait, on the Eagle, you have a valve cover from a Ford 300?
I want to see pics of that
MMN2 Burnett

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
I'll post them tomorrow... the friggin' thing leaks crazy, and the mechanic I hired to rebuild my motor went about it in a very backyard mechanic type-way.  There's even a bolt, nut and washer in the valve cover somewhere, he told me it had an extra hole in it or something, and he had to plug it.  It's been awhile since I checked it out.  I mistakenly got a valve cover from a hornet with a 258 in it, thinkin' it would work on my Eagle, but no go.

Actually, I've got nothing better to do, lemme go peak at that rat's nest right now....

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »
Okay, here's some pix... they're not very good...  You can see the bolt and washer trying to blend in just behind the PCV Valve...

And, looky what else I found?  Just found these two happy dogs in my front yard!  Took them to the dog park down the road to keep them from getting hit by a car... I went door to door looking for their owners but no luck.  I didn't really want to call the pound, seeing as it's the holiday season, and getting the busted animals out of the pound costs a lot!I'm going to go check on them and take them some water... the Mastiff really has my heart!  Too bad I've already got 5 to take care of!

Got them on Craigslist... hopefully their owners will see them there....

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »
Nah, that sure looks like a dreaded AMC plastic cover.  The two extra holes on top are for the models where the cover was secured to the rocker bridges.  Your mechanic must have been smoking something that day or he/she is one of those people who still believe AMC engines were built by Ford.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
Yeah, to be honest he was a real @$$.  I never liked the guy, didn't like the way he did business, and the fact that he cracked the original valve cover, and PUT IT BACK ON MY CAR after charging me $4 big ones really didn't impress me.  I had to threaten to sue him to get him to fix it, and even after he 'fixed' it, the darn thing still leaks like crazy.  He told me it was a Ford 300, but to be honest I don't like Fords, and didn't know what it looked like... just went by what he said.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2008, 10:11:02 PM »
BTW, hope you find the pup's humans.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »
Thanks, Doug.  After I posted I went to the park where I left them to bring them some food and water but they were gone... hopin' their owners drove by and found them... I'd really hate to think they got out or the pound got them...

Mudkicker... that's the most unique purpose for a washer I've seen yet!  I love your valve cover... I think that's going to be my next 'want' after I secure these trim pieces.  If I do, this will be the 3rd time I've done the Valve cover gasket myself, and probably the 5th time altogether.  (I had help the first two times).   ;)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:20:32 PM by pLaYtHiNg »

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »
Do you mind if I ask where you got it, how much it was and if it leaks??   ;D  (I only ask if it leaks because of your ingenuity there)!

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
Getting parts for Eagles is hard, I expected everything else to be easy as pie
I went to the local junkyard (overpriced, but they know what they're talking about

I had a list of a bunch of things I needed for the F150, they didn't have a single part.
but they did have an aluminum valve cover for the 258, next time I get money (I bought my dad a couple parts we needed for the van) I'm getting that.
MMN2 Burnett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk