News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Safety First! LED's 1157 bulbs in taillights and signal  (Read 13703 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Safety First! LED's 1157 bulbs in taillights and signal
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
As I was driving to a car show 2 weeks ago for a National Night out event, sponsored by the St. Paul Police Department, I always drive cautiously in traffic. I rarely rarely take my Eagle out when it is weekly rush hour traffic, but there was a car show! 

I always touch the brake to forewarn those behind me (HEY I AM STOPPING!). Well an Asian lady was on her cell phone in her Toyota Camry, and practically rear ended me. I was furious and scared. So I remember talking to my friend, AMC'er, Jerry. He said, 'Install LED's in your taillights like I did on my Ambassador'. He was paranoid of getting rear ended and wanted to make sure he was 'seen'!

So, thanks to that website with the colorful 4 letter word, I hooked me up some LED's. I will be installing those this week on my wagon's taillights! Looking forward to it! Not only will I be seen, but I will be noticed even more.  "HEY THAT EAGLE HAS LED'S...THAT'S AN EAGLE!!!! MY MOM USED TO HAVE ONE!! I love comments like those!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Safety First! LED's 1157 bulbs in taillights and signal
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »
Good suggestion, I used to have some in my TBird.  I also installed a 3rd brakelight in my Kammback.  I've picked up one for my coupe also, just need to find the time to install it!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »
Is this conversion just bulbs or are relays required for voltage to make it work?
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
You swap the bulbs, and you will need an electronic flasher replacement or your signals won't work unless it's a resistored bulb.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
Yes, no relay needed. LEDs use less much less amperage and hence the need for the electronic flasher. In my research for changing to LEDs,  I've seen reviews that they aren't an improvement in some lenses designed for incandescent bulbs depending on the number and  how the LEDs are arranged. Somebody was working on LED taillights for our Eagles, but haven't heard any new info.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
I was going to graft in some LED '90s? Mustang lights, but they wanted too much for them used compared to new so I took them back. (that was before I broke my RH light)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline JayRamb

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
I got 4 for 11.99. Great deal! they used to be so expensive! thank god they cam edown in price!
Jayson H.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:14 PM »
Just so you know. You can say eBay, Craiglist, etc etc here. You won't be banned!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

attemptnumber2

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »
I did side markers, taillights, back turn signals and reverse lights on my sx/4.  They look awesome at night, they are a lot brighter, they work perfect, use a lot less juice, and the reverse lights are like spot lights behind me. No squinting for me anymore when I have to back up at night.

Side note, you are supposed to use a resistor if the vehicle does the fast blink to let you know a bulb is blown. So far I have not had that problem but if I did I would just get the resistors that hook up to the wires back by the lights. They are pretty cheap too.

I found a lot of pertinent information when looking into led's for my 94 mustang. With that said google research a 96 mustang led taillight conversion and that is where a lot of information is. I have 96 taillights on mine.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »
Evil bay!

That felt good!  >:D

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
Sorry I'm a little confused on this. Are you fellows saying  that LED's  are not an improvement due to the SX4 taillight lens. Is "Attemptnumber2" using '96 Mustang taillight lenses on his Eagle?
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
How do you like the LEDs JayRamb?
I've been considering this upgrade for a while now, but didn't want to hassle with the resistor for the turn signals.
I understand that they make types with built in resistors so that "hyper-blinking" doesn't occur on the turn signals, but they are hard to find in amber.
I also found that for best results, you need LEDs the same color as the lens your using, as white LEDs through a colored lens can be less bright than incandescent in a lot cases. The number and type of LEDs plays a big factor too on how bright they will be.
I've just been waiting on a proven set-up before I invest, since LEDs are still relatively new for use in cars.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline JayRamb

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
Well gang, I tackled this yesterday. Not happenin'. Sorry. They wanted me to 'reverse' the polarity. I wasn't going to molest the wiring.

So, I bought the Sylvania Ultra lights. (they are a WHITE light with a light blue bulb. They look great and considerably brighter!

I returned the bulbs to my supplier. Sorry guys...get the blue lights/whiter light. :)
Jayson H.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:35:45 PM »
Thanks for this info, my son was wanting to get the led bulbs they sell at autozone for his sx4 , they are pricey

It says they are a direct plug in but I wasn't so sure
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

attemptnumber2

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
No. I said search like you are doing the led swap on a mustang. Their is a lot more technical info out there for a mustang than an Eagle.

Who wanted you to reverse your polarity? That is the first I have hears of that and it makes no sense why reversing polarity would do anything to a lightbulb. It can't light backwards.

I do not recommend by each one at your local parts store. I sunk 100 bucks into them and have every light but the front turn signals and headlights converted. I did dome light, dash lights, all four markers, taillights and reverse lights. Bulk buying is always cheaper. I bought all mine from Amazon.

As soon as I get the front end of my car back together I will snap some pics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk