The Shop > Transmission Shop

Eagle Automatic Transmission

(1/17) > >>

IowaEagle:
Its real simple:  All 6 cylinder Eagles used the Chrysler designed AMC configured 4WD version of the TF 998 and 4 cylinder Eagles used the AMC configured 4WD version of the TF 904 -- though the jury is still out on the 4 cylinder cars as some have been found with TF 998's (many 4 cylinder cars came with manual transmissions). 

Six cylinder Eagles also incorporated a lock up torque converter from 1980 thru 1984.

The only direct fit auto for the Eagle is the AMC 4WD TF998 or 4WD TF904.

Other applications which can be installed and will require minimum of modifcations are the AMC confingured 4WD TF 727 or TF 999 from a Jeep.  

A Jeep AW4 from behind a 4.0 will bolt up to your 4.2 but it too will require some modifcations.  Such as to the floor pan and drive shafts.

Other AMC autos can be used, but require replacing the output shaft and some other mods and then installing the 4WD adapter.  YOU CANNOT PUT THE CHRYSLER VERSION IN YOUR EAGLE -- DIFFERENT BELL HOUSING.  YOU MUST USE THE AMC CASE.  The internals exchange easily, but the exterior, again, is AMC only.

The AMC TF 998 was only used behind the 258 only in the Eagle but was used in, in its 2WD version, behind many AMC V8's in cars starting from '72 except that some HD applications which got the TF-727.  All other 258s in 2WD cars got the TF-904. 

The 998, as compared to the 904,  has a larger front servo, 4 pinion planetaries and a double warp rear band. This was the original lock up converter tranny.  It can be indentified from the 904 by the two external ribs on the case above the rear servo.

Spudz76:
The 727 from a Full-Size Jeep with 258 works fine in an Eagle as well.  I swapped one in cuz the Jeep was wrecked anyhow and the 998 in my SX/4 was toasted (DON'T FORGET TO ADJUST YOUR BANDS, SOMETIMES, UNLESS YOU LIKE ALUMINUM AND STEEL SHAVINGS).  No modifications necessary except the filler/dipstick needed some adjustment to clear the firewall (actually, the 998 tube fits, just a tad loose for my taste - but a new grommet would help that out).  Makes for a slightly more truck-like ride, as the 1st gear is not as low so it takes away some off-the-line.  But, even though it's bigger, it fits fine.

IowaEagle:
Thanks for the info on the 727 being a no-brainer -- if the dip stick issue is the only difference I would call that a "bolt in".  I have corrected the orginal post to reflect this.  Do you have the years that work for this application?

a.reginato:
Hi all, I'm fairly new here.  I just bought an '83 AMC Eagle (Burgandy 4 door Sedan) , but the trany is cooked badly (nothing else wrong with the car).

> All Eagles used the Chrysler designed TF 998

> All other 258s in cars got the TF-904

I just want to be sure I read the first message correctly -  a freind of mine has two AMC Spirit's, one of which is a parts car with a good tranny.  I was hoping I could pull the tranny out and simply bolt the transfer case on and bolt that into my Eagle.  But if I read the first message in the thread correctly, I take it the Spirit has the TF-904 tranny - correct?

IowaEagle:
Yup -- the Spirit would be the 904.  It will work, and I probably should mention that above, but it is a light duty transmission -- the reason the 727 was mentioned is because it is a heavier duty trans.   If your core is still good I would really recommend getting it rebuilt by a reputable tranny shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version