News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 SX/4 Project Car (lifted electric car conversion project)  (Read 1533 times)

Offline DeadBird

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
1983 SX/4 Project Car (lifted electric car conversion project)
« on: November 21, 2021, 08:10:48 PM »
***I've been trying to post this with pictures, either by uploading them or linking from another site. I've not had any luck, as my post gets marked as spam. I'll post this with no pictures and then try to link to them on another post.
------

I was a member of the old forum. If you were active back in 2007 - 2009, then you might remember my black SX/4. It had a fresh black paint job, brand new 33" Mickey Thomson's, and an 8-inch lift that was done by Mick at Evolution 4x4 in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

You can see below that I even installed Recaro seats. The interior is in pretty good shape, all things considered. The rest of the bird, well, it's seen better days. After doing a ton of work and having a ton of work done, I thought an EV conversion would be a good idea. I have basically all of the components for a conversion. I never got around to actually doing the conversion because I moved out of the country for a few years. I then moved to a high rise in Chicago, and then, well, four kids...

This Eagle has had extensive work to support the conversion. You can see the two battery boxes, which were designed to hold a hundred 100AH LiFePO4 batteries, which are also in one of the pictures. Those batteries have never gone through a discharge cycle and they are all currently measuring 3.2V (after ten years).

The electric motor (AC) and controller is from a factory-built electric step van. I still have the manual for this system. If memory serves correctly, it's a 700 lb/ft beast. The motor is mated to a transfer case because the intention was for this to be an off-road-capable electric Eagle. A bunch of custom welding was done by Bob Price at CNC Offroad in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The Eagle was at his shop for about 10 years, waiting for me to come home.

At one point, most of the pieces you see on the pallet were actually installed on the Eagle, but I asked Bob to take it all apart, as I didn't think anyone else would want to take this project on.

So there it is there! I would be thrilled to see this go to a good home. Feel free to ask any questions. I am happy to take lots more pictures, as long as there is no snow on the ground.

The price of the Eagle without any EV components is very negotiable. Hopefully someone can find some use for it. The batteries and motor will go for market prices. The Azure Dynamics AC-90 motor and UMOC 645 controller came out of a Solectria CitiVan. The motor runs best at 312V and the controller is capable of handling up to 414A. Those two will likely be listed on eBay if no one is interested in the Eagle package.

Check out the power curves on this page:

Offline DeadBird

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: 1983 SX/4 Project Car (lifted electric car conversion project)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 08:11:46 PM »
Here is the the link to the Azure Dynamics brochure/datasheet.

https://transistor-man.com/files/Azure%20Dynamics/AC90_DMOC645ProductSheet.pdf

Offline DeadBird

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 10:13:30 AM »

Offline v0rt3x86

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
  • Day at the Beach
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 01:57:26 PM »
Do you have a project page for the build? Just curious to see how you came up with everything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk