News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speedometer chatter AFTER dash work  (Read 4270 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Speedometer chatter AFTER dash work
« on: November 02, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »
I had the honor of pulling my cluster and dash trim out this weekend int he cold to replace a headlamp switch that went into meltdown and had to disconnect the cluster from the speedometer cable. Didn't break anything and it was already quiet but what had been bugging me for over was a slow "sque......eek" that kept coming and going so I put a few drops of oil into the bushing on the back of the cluster and sprayed some lithium grease into the receiving end of the cable. The result is it still squeaks and now it chatters when you get above 50km/h. I can't see any kinks or weird bends between the cluster and the firewall so I have no idea what I did but this is going to drive me crazy pretty fast.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Speedometer chatter AFTER dash work
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »
I had a similar problem, the needle would fluctuate wildly above a certain speed.  Turns out I did not have the cable fully tightened at the back of the speedometer, easy fix.  Good luck.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Speedometer chatter AFTER dash work
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Okay it turned out to just want a bit of oil.
I didn't want to pull the dash apart again so I was able to reach behind, unscrew and pull it out, down and J-curve it so I could add a few drops of 3 in 1. Aside from breaking my hood release bracket in a lasers-shooting-from-eyes two hours of frustration as I had to build a steel bracket to repair it the cable has stopped chattering and has continued to remain quiet for the last three days.

By the way this is something you can do if you are (un?)lucky enough to not have air conditioning or the tray package.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 07:58:45 PM by MIPS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk