News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:41:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: advice about horns  (Read 3523 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
advice about horns
« on: July 24, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Tne 88 has one working horn.  I had a near miss when a @$#%^ cut me off.  I assume he didn't hear the anemic sounding horn. 

Has anyone installed really loud aftermarket horns that are bolt in?  I don't want to have to worry about mounting.  The blasted things are hard enough to get to without additional issues.  I would appreciate it if anyone has advice to offer.

I do have power to the non-functioning horn.  I replaced the spade connector and made sure the mounting was clean enough for a good ground. 

I removed the battery, which in not tecnically necessary but it makes it easier to deal with the bolt.  I was surprised at how bad the battery posts looked because I clean them every time I pull a cable.  Then I realized I've been pulling just the ground cable and hadn't seen the positive post in quite some time.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: advice about horns
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:42:04 PM »
If you don't mind spending ~$60, I have always liked the Hella SuperTone horns.    Mostly a direct replacement (similar size and mounting), and quite loud.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »
I put a $13.00 set of air horns from Harbour Freight, and put the compressor behind the driverside lights and the horns on the support post in front of the radiator. They don't face forward but then, I don't either. My 83 had dual horns one on each side with only one working, it's amazing what we learn via small suprises.
Note: beware of worn horn wires, if they short you will be looking for a wiring harness. Seems the space behind the head lights is prime field mouse realistate. :censored:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:06:30 PM by xtcinoz »
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
I have not replaced the horn in the Eagle before.  I had to replace one in the Bronco II once.  I took it in with me and took at look at the ones for sale until I found one that mounted up in a similar manner.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
If you don't mind spending ~$60, I have always liked the Hella SuperTone horns.    Mostly a direct replacement (similar size and mounting), and quite loud.
$60 would be cheap compared to what almost happened to me.
Where did you get the Hella supertone horns?  I did a little quick research and found some warnings to get the horns from Germany and not the ones from India.  The pictures I saw looked like the bracket was straight rather the 90 degree bend. 
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »
Last set of Supertones I bought was about 5 years ago; so they were all German.   Don't know how the Indian ones match up re quality.   I also read that the India-made-with-German-internals were as good and still rated at 118 db; but the all-india versions were only rated 113 db.   Hard to know what you're buying.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7