News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 15, 2024, 10:03:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loss of Gauges on console  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Loss of Gauges on console
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
So yesterday, I finally put my whole dash back together, and I have that center console (with the 4 gauges) that goes around the shifter.

So last night I start her up, and everything is working, then the gauges stop.  the clock on the far left still works and runs, but the oil pressure and the volts stop (the vacuum isn't hooked up)

No fuses are out under the dash.  I just checked them all.  Anyone know where to look with this issue? 

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Loss of Gauges on console
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »
The notoriousky famous firewall ground

Manitowoc WI

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
that's been done.  I did that back in Dec when we were tracking down intermitted loss of everything...  I'll check it again, but I ran a heavy wire to that spot, and cleaned it all up, and it fixed all the other issues.

It's just the two center gauges that are gone.  Everything else works perfectly.

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
So yesterday, I finally put my whole dash back together, and I have that center console (with the 4 gauges) that goes around the shifter.

So last night I start her up, and everything is working, then the gauges stop.  the clock on the far left still works and runs, but the oil pressure and the volts stop (the vacuum isn't hooked up)

No fuses are out under the dash.  I just checked them all.  Anyone know where to look with this issue? 

I know this may sound silly, but did you check the plugs as well as the fuses? Mine don't run off a fuse, they just plug straight into the junction box.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
I'll check those.  one was unplugged, and I found where it goes, but nothing.  I'll have to check them all.  thx.

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:38:50 AM »
Been there, done that.
Double checking the ground is a good idea anyway, but the culprit is the connector.
You just need to remove the console again (!), pull the connector from the cluster and check those contacts. They're made of soft metal, and they tend to "flatten", losing contact with the "trails" on the cluster side.

VERY VERY carefully, try to bend them a little outwards so that they can firmly touch again the cluster's contacts.

And in case you're wondering, the clock works because it only needs +12V and ground, and the vacuum is mechanical, so it doesn't need power at all. In my case, the +12 and ground contacts were good enough, but the other ones were loose, so I had poor or no battery and oil press. readings. Well, I needed a new pressure sender too, but that's another story ;)
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:32:17 AM »
@LaGuardia,

Ok, I'll do that tomorrow.   Now I have dielectric compound, once I bend them, it might be a good idea to put some on those contacts... Yes?  I'll let you know how it goes.

@casper

I hear ya.  I have considered upgrading to new gauges from an auto store.  I didn't want to modernize it too much, but something like this, ya, I'll overlook me having to be a purist, and just get something that works.

thx for the ideas to better gauges and/or a change of type of gauges.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:46:45 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 05:42:10 AM »
Whuntmore: yes. Definitely. Just take care not to "bridge" contacts. I used just a bit of WD-40, just to clean them up.

Casper: mechanical gauges are the way to go. But if I were you, I'd start looking for a vacuum gauge and I'd replace the malfunctioning one. I find it's the only really useful gauge along with the oil press one. It really helps preventing the famous "lead foot" disease. ;)
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
well, I bent them all up (without applying any electric grease) and they they still won't work.  I might have to go to plan 'B' and do what Casper suggested.  I'll have to upgrade them all.  for now, I'll just leave it alone until I've got the new gauges.

@casper,

when I said purist, I meant I'm not enough of a purist to worry about original replacement parts, or keeping it original.  In other words, whatever works and fits, I'm good for.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:52:31 AM »
Ok, good.  the way I word things, it can get a bit confusing what I'm actually saying.  I'm a bit like Yoda in that respect.  (when I should have said "it's confusing the way I word things" - I had to think about that one)  Maybe I've been reincarnated from some famous poet.   'What mighty contests rise from such trivial things'.

I think I know what you mean by the 'little lip'.  I gotcha. 

The bloody clock still works, and everything lights up...  I figure the gauges died...  I know it's getting power... whatever.  Time for some new gauges.

Offline SleepsUnderCars

• Eagle crazy
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 62
  • the last truckload of Eagles ?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 02:22:28 AM »
casper,
not sure what you're looking for to fill the empty space, but Teltek (www.teltek.us) makes truck gauges for just about anything you can think of.
their prices are kinda stiff, though.  If you plan on buying from them shoot me a pm and I can get a 10% discount as an OOIDA member-i think all you need is my member #
'81 AMC EAGLE KAMMBACK rustbucket - off road only
'84 AMC EAGLE SEDAN
'68 Rambler Rogue 
'88 Dodge Ramcharger 
'07 Chrysler Pacifica (family hauler)
'80 AMC Spirit   ** FOR SALE **
'85 EAGLE WAGON sport   -bad frame future project

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk