News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 08, 2024, 08:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On Eagles Wings  (Read 21282 times)

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: On Eagles Wings
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
What? No TTB? lol
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »
Funny I was thinking about TTB up front yesterday on my way down to take the canoe to the river. I would get rid of the need for a Trac bar using TTB but I think for simplicity of design the solid axle would be much better.

I almost got it hung up in some loose gravel next to the river trying to get a photo at the end of our canoe trip. I managed to kept the throttle steady and quickly I switched the selector to 4wd (no easy feat since you need to pull the little pin down before you can move the switch) and thankfully the repair I made the vacuum system allowed the 4x4 to engage and later disengage without the loss of drive.

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 12:15:16 AM »
Here are a couple more pictures from our last canoe trip. An eagle in its natural habitat.

oddly enough my wife pointed out we have a pelican on top of our/Her eagle.

Today I took it over to a place to get the headliner repaired.  I put new lift cylinders on the hatch.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 03:15:43 PM »
It's GREAT to see STOCK wheels on Eagles!!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »
Were  the wheels that are on this one a factory option then? This car is bare bones amenities wise, good if you want a simple car with fewer parts. I just questioned whether or not it would have had these wheels from the dealer.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 01:04:20 AM »
Same wheels my wagon had. Would've cost me more to switch the 235/75/15s I have that are on TJ wheels than I could get for the old tires with near new tires (ended up getting $130 for them)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »
Those wheels are Sport model wheels. Which could be ordered on any Eagle.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2014, 04:18:37 AM »
More work on the proud old bird last week.  I had a new headliner installed and Sunday I replaced the u joints in the rear drive shaft.  I have officially reached the no squeaky Eagle level.  :hello2:

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
Well today Harry received a remand starter from a local electric shop here in town and just since I was under the hood I checked the air fliter and was glad I did, it occurred to my PCV valve was not working and had loaded the air cleaner with oil. I

I'm ordering a new polished aluminum valve cover and all the parts to upgrade the ignition system. My wife and I are entering it in the 4 wheel Jamboree here in Indy.  So I have some work to do to make old Harry a good llooking old car.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 01:44:27 AM »
Make sure the starter drive gear is at LEAST as tall as a quarter (Canadian or US) If it is shorter, the rebuilder went cheap and used a Ford drive which WILL fail and take out the flexplate at the same time. $$$!!!

AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
I will take a look next time I'm in that area by the way I'm crawling around under the thing once every week it shouldn't be to long.

I'm ordering the aluminum rocker arm cover for tomorrow. I was going to show the part number but I can't find it for some reason today once I get to work I will have it.

We have a report of 15mpg on the heals of finding the pcv valve stuck, a oil soaked air cleaner,  and the interesting little door in the air cleaner housing that was not opening allowing unrestricted airflow into the engine. I also used some dryer vent hose to connect the air cleaner to the cold air pickup until or even if I can find the correct hose. So there hope for better and I still have ignition tuneup to do.

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
18mpg :hello2:  we're getting better. 

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
Aluminum valve cover. Check
ECM ignition bypass. Check
New shaft mount stereo. Check

Dad and I performed the ECM ignition bypass this morning and removed any and all computer related wiring. Everton wentsmooth up iuntil the wire harness from the ignition box to the distributor.  My car was missing on wire in the 4 pin connector. I went to local parts yard and found a early 80' s ford trexacth the 351w and snagged the harness it uses since all the wires are mated exactly the way they need to be for this mod. The only thing I ended up doing was chopping off 2 extra wires and soldering the green to the negative terminal on the coil.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:21:36 PM by huggyb1972 »

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2014, 08:55:17 PM »
Pictures anyone

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
I took a walk around the Jeep section of the pic a part this morning and finally spotted a good used NV242 case.

Kellie and I removed the shifter as an assembly and claimed the rear driveshaft also. I will be doing the swap sometime in the next few weeks trying to get the car capable for winter. I also have a tail shaft leak on the current T case so this swap will curtail that.

????? What method are folks using to shift the axle disconnect in and out with this set up? I an still new in the Jeep thing my Bronco has no such mechanism.

I have a little trip coming up in a few weeks that is a bucket list item. I acquired a spot on a charity UTV race team for the Baja 1000.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:16:21 PM by huggyb1972 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk