News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:48:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Each time I take an AMC for a 'FILL ER UP'  (Read 20259 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: Each time I take an AMC for a 'FILL ER UP'
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »
No full service in MN that I know of
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
There's always this place 

I grew up just down the street from it, so as a kid I thought everyone had one. Turns out there are two left.

They're full service, have a great local reputation for exhaust work, and the owner is a Jeep nut. There's usually a J truck or a Comanche there. They've never had a problem finding my gas cap.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
There's always this place 

I grew up just down the street from it, so as a kid I thought everyone had one. Turns out there are two left.

They're full service, have a great local reputation for exhaust work, and the owner is a Jeep nut. There's usually a J truck or a Comanche there. They've never had a problem finding my gas cap.
i have passed that place a few times on my way home from breezewood when i listened to my gps.  i didn't realize it was still in business
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline simsx28

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
In KS the gas station I went to on a regular basis was full service, the first time I took my Eagle there the son of the owner spent 20 minutes looking for the gas cap, he finnaly asked me where the  :censored: is your gas cap.   
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon (Sold June 2011) :(
Want: 2011 Ford Fiesta Sedan, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 1990 Nissan 240sx Automatic

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 10:08:23 PM »
Speaking of fill up stories....The other day I was putting gas in the SX/4, when a gent walked up and asked "is that a gremlin?"  :rotfl: I said no it's an Eagle. He replies, "wow!, I've never seen one like that before, I have an Eagle station wagon as my camp vehicle".....Just goes to show you, even eagle owners don't always know what they are looking at, lol. We had a good conversation as I filled the Eagle with gas, hahaha.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »
NJ is all full serve. The only issue I have with self serve is when Parents have thier obviously too young kids pumping gas, because they think it is a grown up thing to do and fun. Here in NY when I was younger and working a full serve station, a law was passed to remove those catches that let you fill it up while you did windshields.All because a kid got splashed with gas because it wasn't set right. It's not a "playstation" for fun,gasoline is a serious thing. i have sen a few people drive off with the stupid hose still in thier tank,ripping it from the pump.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 12:13:48 AM »
i have sen a few people drive off with the stupid hose still in thier tank,ripping it from the pump.
I'm one of those people once, never knew that they are designed to break away.  I felt like a real dummy that day ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
Yeah, in New Jersey, it's against the law to pump your own gas. It can be fun at times though. One time me and my dad had to fill up our 1957 Chevrolet and in that car the gas cap is inside the left rear tail fin behind a piece of trim. We pulled in, and the attendant looked at the car, looked at us, and gave us the pump nozzle. I love moments like that ;D I can't wait to see the reactions I get when I get an Eagle.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
Jersey and Oregon are the only 2 I know about, BUT, I am a fuel attendant, And IF I feel the cost of the paint or the owner is firm about wanting to put their own fuel in, I will hand them the nozzle, As well if they are on a motorcycle. I generally don't have an issue if they want to fuel their own rig, I am just their for safety and security so that it is still paid. Not quiet full service BUT the place I work only has 1 attendant so I can't always get every window, but I generally get them if they fill up, or spend more than $20 and are the the only ones there. As many people are in a rush these days.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »
That's awesome!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 03:23:42 AM »
Anyone passing through Eastern Oregon, "Most" of the guys that are over 30 doing the job of fuel attendant "Generally" don't give you too much guff if you want to pump your own so long as you ask and let them know first, I do however suggest letting them set the pump, IE enter the information even if it is a fill up and hand you the nozzle. keep in mind that some places are PREPAY, most aren't. my experience that If you are willing to ask, most of the attendants have no issue with you handling the nozzle once they remove it from the cradle. Especially with insurance concerns as well as the fact that They don't want to lose a customer. Most owners will even back up the customer, as the liability for repainting the car would fall on the Company then the attendant depending on how far most people want to push it.

There is a few exceptions to the rule of "Mandatory fuel attendant and that is Tribal reservations. As they are souvenir nations they "Don't" have to follow that rule and "Generally" are able to fuel your own vehicle. They are few and far between. But they are out there. Arrowhead Travel plaza at the base of Cabbage Hill Between Pendleton and La Grande is one of them.

On a side note, Oddest place I have ever seen a "STOCK" fuel neck is behind the tail light of a 1950's Chevy. The drivers side tail light pulled out  on telescoping arms and hinged about 45 degrees and the neck was behind it. I thought it was the coolest place ever. I know my cars, but that one threw me for a loop. I am sure the owner was happy with the idea as he never would need a locking gas cap.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »
Ummm, that should be sovereign (as in independent) nations!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
Thank you, I was a bit tired when I typed that, and didn't properly use my spell check obviously. Sorry

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 11:36:36 PM »
No worries. Just poking a little fun. Don't take it too serial! 8^)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk