News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:29:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Substitute Window Channel Seals  (Read 10264 times)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Substitute Window Channel Seals
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
I needed to replace the crumbling window channels in my 88 Wagon, and looked in the usual places for a replacement.  There are a couple sources typically mentioned here, but I couldn't find a source with 90 degree molded corners.  Some were sold by the foot, and you would need to cut a corner yourself by trimming some material.

I found a good substitute seal from a Jeep Wrangler.  The TJ wranglers from 1998-2006 sometimes had full steel doors with roll-up windows.  These channels have hard molded corners at the front corner, but the channel can simply be flipped.  I ordered a set of 2 from RockAuto for about $25, the Fairchild KD1012 and they work well.  You would need 2 kits (4 pieces) to do all the doors on a wagon.

Note that the seals are exactly the same width on the Jeep and the AMC's, but the Jeep seals are a little shallower/shorter.  In other words, the AMC channels (the steel doors) are a little deeper than the Jeep's.  On my wagon the seals originally had about 1/8" visible to the outside when the window was closed.  The Jeep seals are exactly flush with the steel door so nothing is visible from the outside.  There is no functional difference and I'm very happy with the fit and the price.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:07:06 PM by amarshall »
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: Substitute Window Channel Seals
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
Here is an image of the 1/8" size difference.  The window on the left has an original seal and my finger is touching a little bit that is exposed.  The window on the right has been replaced with the Jeep seal and is completely flush to the door.

Here's a shot of the corner showing the molded corner.  The ruler was there to show that the seal is flush with the door, not a great shot though.

There is one other difference with the Jeep seals.  They have some relief cuts to help with some of the Jeep door curves, as in the photo below.  On an Eagle, these land in the straight section of the door near the mirror.  No problem at all, can't even tell they are there once installed.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:05:11 PM by amarshall »

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »
Check with Tennessee Farmer in the forum I bought mine from him reasonable price as well.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Firebolt0788

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
so im sorry but im new on here and it seems like tons of the images are all broken links or not able to be viewed even on the new topics such as this one ... anyone have any insight on how to fix this ?

this is from viewing on my up to date computer and phone ?
1988 Eagle Wagon - newly acquired and restoring / fixing up
1982 eagle sedan - unfortunately lost due to deployment and mothers mistaken sale instead of storage

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »
On this specific post, the problem is likely my fault.  I'm fairly new around here also, and not sure I've figured out how to post images yet.  I'll try to edit.

Offline Firebolt0788

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:52 PM »
whatever you did fixed it  ;D
1988 Eagle Wagon - newly acquired and restoring / fixing up
1982 eagle sedan - unfortunately lost due to deployment and mothers mistaken sale instead of storage

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:03:42 AM »
whatever you did fixed it  ;D

Great, thanks for letting me know!

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »
how much extra did you have on these just curious if they would have enough for a 2 door eagle

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 12:03:14 AM »
There was at least 10" extra on both ends that I trimmed.  Hang tight for a day or tow and I can measure one. I didn;t install them all yet so I have a couple that are uncut.

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 10:51:14 PM »
Did you pull the door panels and install the new rubber all the way down into the track. I know on the 2 doors that rubber goes almost to the bottom of the door front and back. Curious if it would work on a 2 door. Much cheaper then anything else out.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
I was lazy for the first one I installed and didn't pull the door panel.  I just shoved as much as I could into the long track and clipped the rest.

I measured a fresh one.  The short leg is 19" from the corner, and the long one is 60 1/2".  I don't know how long the door is on a coupe, but that seems plenty long to me.

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
I think on a 2 door that will still come up short. I measure 19 from top of the glass and only gets you to the upper part of door handle. I know that channel rubber extends almost to the bottom of the door. It is what holds the glass tight when the window is down. Maybe if you left some old in and spliced it would be fine. Most of the time every bit of that rubber is rock hard and brittle.  Same goes for the front wont reach to the bottom of the track either.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Makes sense, this may not be a perfect solution.  Does the full track need to be filled?  Seems like a little missing at the bottom may work, as long as the top is secure.  When I finally get to installing the other 3 doors, I'll pull the panels and try to do it right.  And will take some pictures.

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »
I like to have the full track on my 2 doors. When the window is down that track is what keeps the window tight inside the door along with the sweeps. This is a great idea for the 4 doors or if the rubber still good inside the doors. 2 of my amx's and sx/4 rubber was rock hard and had to be chipped out of the entire track. I found a supplier online for the 2 door but close to 75 shipped for pair. But with the money I have in them what another 75 at that point lol.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
I like to have the full track on my 2 doors. When the window is down that track is what keeps the window tight inside the door along with the sweeps. This is a great idea for the 4 doors or if the rubber still good inside the doors. 2 of my amx's and sx/4 rubber was rock hard and had to be chipped out of the entire track. I found a supplier online for the 2 door but close to 75 shipped for pair. But with the money I have in them what another 75 at that point lol.

I guess another option would be to buy one extra window channel, trim off what you need from the straight side, and splice it into the window track down in the door.  Just tossing out an idea here.  I'll need to be doing the same thing to my coupe as the rubber is as you described, rock hard, and already missing some sections.  If you try this out, please let us know how it works!  Thanks.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 10:34:15 PM »
Forgot to mention to change the rubber its easier to have glass out of the way. I did one with the glass it and very hard to get rubber down into track, never again. 3 bolts pulls the glass on a 2 door.. pretty simple

Offline jeanajavelin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 02:42:11 PM »
Glad I found this info...I am about to put in an order to replace my fleet eagle 4 door window channels.  Has anyone found anything compatible for the outer window felts/sweeps?  ::)

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 03:31:48 PM »
Peter Stathes and some of the other AMC vendors sell replacement sweeps for the 4-doors.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7