News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 03:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New guy with an old Eagle  (Read 859 times)

Offline Jawbone1021

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
New guy with an old Eagle
« on: November 06, 2023, 12:41:58 AM »
Hello. I’ve looked at this site for a bit, but just now joined. I purchased an ‘80 AMC Eagle Limited in Medium Brown Metallic a little while back. It’s in okay condition. The engine has some problems, but there’s no major rust. It has either 279,000 or 379,000 miles on it. I’ve wanted one for a long time, and I’m very happy with the specifications on this one. If anyone knows of any parts (it needs quite a few), please tell me. I’m in Minnesota. Thanks.
 :amc:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 02:06:23 AM by Jawbone1021 »
I’m glad AMC = All Makes Combined, it’s really quite nice for finding parts.

1980 AMC Eagle Limited wagon
2004 Toyota Corolla S sedan

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: New guy with an old Eagle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 12:08:37 PM »
Welcome to the Den!  Nice looking Eagle you have there, I hope you have lots of fun with it.  Let us know which parts you are looking for specifically, this is a very helpful group.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Jawbone1021

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 10:52:06 PM »
Welcome to the Den!  Nice looking Eagle you have there, I hope you have lots of fun with it.  Let us know which parts you are looking for specifically, this is a very helpful group.
Thanks. I’ll try to compile a list of parts. I’m trying to keep it as stock as possible, but it’s hard to find the right parts, especially for an ‘80. I’ve checked out Kennedy American, and it seems to be a very helpful site, but it doesn’t have everything I need. I doubt I’ll be able to find any sun visor mounts anytime soon. I’ll make sure to keep you folks updated.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 11:01:09 PM »
Are the visor mounts just loose?  Or missing?  There's a way to tighten them up some.  Mounts from any AMC "small" car will fit (Hornet/Gremlin/Concord).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Jawbone1021

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 10:09:53 AM »
Are the visor mounts just loose?  Or missing?  There's a way to tighten them up some.  Mounts from any AMC "small" car will fit (Hornet/Gremlin/Concord).
The mounts are broken, with pieces of them missing, and I don't have any sun visors, either.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 03:15:32 PM »
ISTR the earlier Eagles used plastic visor mounts and the later models used metal. Mine were salvaged from an '84 and unless that too is special on an '80 it should screw right in.

I've never checked myself but supposedly the visor mount for the Pinto and Mustang were the similar. At least the rubber boot for the automatic floor shifter is.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 03:17:44 PM by MIPS »

Offline Jawbone1021

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 07:00:56 PM »
ISTR the earlier Eagles used plastic visor mounts and the later models used metal. Mine were salvaged from an '84 and unless that too is special on an '80 it should screw right in.

I've never checked myself but supposedly the visor mount for the Pinto and Mustang were the similar. At least the rubber boot for the automatic floor shifter is.
Hmm, then I’ll probably try to find the metal mounts. Are sun visors from other AMC models compatible, as well?

Does anyone know of any retro transparent bug deflectors fit for an Eagle? I love the upright style rectangular shields.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 04:57:03 PM »
That's the big thing I love about the Eagle. This was a car where AMC threw everything at the wall to refresh their entire model lineup from the 70's, excluding the Pacer which by this point was so commercially unsuccessful they didn't want to touch that concept again. If it wasn't a part they were outsourcing from GM/Chrysler/Ford it was something they had already in production for the last decade so a lot of things silently cross-reference.
I think the visor arms for a Marlin/Ambassador with similar lobed ends might also fit.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 05:05:18 PM by MIPS »

Offline Jawbone1021

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 07:59:06 PM »
The coolant overheated on a short, five minute drive in forty-five degree Fahrenheit weather. Any ideas what could have caused it? Only the coolant was hot, not the engine. I recently put in a new battery, maybe that was part of it? Also, when the transmission is in ‘Neutral’ or ‘Park’, the engine acts like the pedal is pushed into the floorboard; it revs as much as it can until it’s put back in gear. Also, when I let off the throttle, the Eagle acts like it’s cruise control is engaged; it stays at the same speed it was when I let off the throttle.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 08:09:09 PM »
First thing that comes to mind is the temperature sensor on top of the head is air-bound. With a cold engine fill the system from the radiator but don't put the cap on yet, unscrew the sensor and put it back in as soon as coolant starts coming out the hole. The next thing that comes to mind if there's any coolant flow through the heater core (which would indicate the water pump is working at all). Worst-case your head gasket has been blown but you'd be seeing bubbles in the reserve tank at that point.
Could also be a sticking thermostat. The heater core bypasses the thermostat but if it's stuck closed a line restriction like that is gonna get the coolant good and hot.

Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carburetor and that will tell you if something attached to the linkage like the cruise control (or the throttle cable...or a badly adjusted throttle linkage to the transmission) is sticking the throttle open or if someone's driven the idle screws all the way in.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:27:05 PM by MIPS »

Offline Jawbone1021

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 02:03:04 PM »
First thing that comes to mind is the temperature sensor on top of the head is air-bound. With a cold engine fill the system from the radiator but don't put the cap on yet, unscrew the sensor and put it back in as soon as coolant starts coming out the hole. The next thing that comes to mind if there's any coolant flow through the heater core (which would indicate the water pump is working at all). Worst-case your head gasket has been blown but you'd be seeing bubbles in the reserve tank at that point.
Could also be a sticking thermostat. The heater core bypasses the thermostat but if it's stuck closed a line restriction like that is gonna get the coolant good and hot.

Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carburetor and that will tell you if something attached to the linkage like the cruise control (or the throttle cable...or a badly adjusted throttle linkage to the transmission) is sticking the throttle open or if someone's driven the idle screws all the way in.
I'll have to try those. Thanks.
The idle screw is most definitely the cause of the second problem, now that I think back to it.

Offline Jawbone1021

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 04:32:44 PM »
The engine is burning through oil. The exhaust manifold also gets really hot. Any ideas?

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2023, 11:04:48 PM »
Burning oil either means your valve guides or your rings are leaking. Excessive blowby on the PCV system also indicates worn rings.

A hot exhaust manifold is normal, unless it's starting to glow, in which case you are running too rich, your timing is way off or if you have secondary air it's stuck sending air upstream. (though at that point it would also be backfiring)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk