News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 10:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: jumper cable fire?  (Read 13400 times)

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
Re: jumper cable fire?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
the cables are fine as well as the mounting points.. and the motor does turn by hand not easy but it turns

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »
so today i took the starter out by hand and tried jumping it. i got a short spin then nothing. the arm didnt come out or anything. so i went to autozone had them tested the kid didnt know what he was doing so it came up negative. i got another starter from autozone and had someone else test it for me. it worked so as soon as i get motivation to crawl in the snow and under the eagle ill install it and try again. i was thinking maybe my flywheel is binding or something. any easy way of testing it? or do i just stick my hand in and feel around lol?

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
How do i overide the solonoid? I know theres a screwdriver method but which posts are the ones i want to cross..or can i just run a 4gauge wire from the starter side to the battery

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
MAKE SURE ITS IN PARK.

The 2 big posts can be jumped by. Crossing wrenches while touching those posts. Now what this does is going to leave marks in your wrenches or screwdrivers. I had a cheap scredriver get red on me in a second or 2. So be aware................

You mentioned 1 fire already. Since your asking I'm starting to think somthing is not right that you did. Just saying you might have somthing wrong somewhere.  So use caution. If all is good nothing wrong should happen. It should spin the motor. It might make you jump a bit. When and if you get it to spin (as if someone tried to sneak up on you).

Manitowoc WI

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »
ok. thanks!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »
I just use a cheap pair of non-insulated pliers.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
well im ok and the eagle is ok. i tried cleaning grounds and i tested for voltage. i switched batterys and then she was dead. lol. thats the short story. yesterday i sent the eagle down to my cousins shop for him to play with it. hes going on vacation next week so looks like my eagle wont be fixed too soon. ill let you guys know what was wrong with it when i do

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
got my eagle back today! so i found out the battery sucked. he had to use a jumper cable and a charger to get her to turn over. lol. i got a new battery specified for her and she turns over. so idk if the spare battery just didnt have the right volts or what. but shes back. and now i can spend money on her now and not my gt. lol

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
I had a battery cable fire in my old Concord. Turned out to be an intermitant internal battery short.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 05:09:17 PM »
wow. im still baffled by this. but at least im glad its running again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk