News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 01:48:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 2028 times)

Offline pfay82

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Head Gasket
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:18:15 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm replacing my head gasket and am having trouble putting the head back on the block. I just can't get the gasket to stay put, and am having a horrible time getting everything lined up enough to drop the head bolts back in. Even if something is off by a fraction of a millimeter, it won't work. Any suggestions? :banghead:

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
I can say i never had such a problem. It should be straight forward.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Head Gasket
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:13:34 PM »
If you are replacing your head bolts you can cut the head off two of the old ones , hacksaw a slot in the top for a screw driver and screw them into the block (finger tight) ,drop your gasket on then set the head down ( using the bolts as guides) . Use a screw driver to get the bolts back out. After you started a couple head bolts in to hold it in place.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk