News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 04:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Choke stuck? 85  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Mattmoosh2000

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Choke stuck? 85
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
It seem the choke might be stuck open. It doesn't seem to reduce its rpms after warming up, on the highway it sounds like it's revving too high, The air intake flap on top of the carb doesn't seem to move when I move the throttle lever, and sometimes the engine knocks when I shut it off.

The flap in the carb is suposed to move right? It seem stuck. I tried to move it manually. I figured there's a trick to it.

When should it open and when should it close?
85 Eagle, tan
82 Eagle, dark blue
8? Eagle, silver and red
8? Eagle, light blue
8? Eagle, red
 All hatchbacks

3 for parts in the field

87 VW Vanagon 2wd red
2002 Sprinter white

Selling an 84 eagle and an 81 concord on eBay

Offline Mattmoosh2000

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Choke stuck? 85
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
Ok. After looking at it it's suposed to be open. I'll get home and research the carb, but why does it idle high? Why am I concerned about the sound of rpms on highway andwhy does it knock when I shut it off?
85 Eagle, tan
82 Eagle, dark blue
8? Eagle, silver and red
8? Eagle, light blue
8? Eagle, red
 All hatchbacks

3 for parts in the field

87 VW Vanagon 2wd red
2002 Sprinter white

Selling an 84 eagle and an 81 concord on eBay

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL