News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 18, 2024, 11:53:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moab 2016  (Read 12099 times)

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
Moab 2016
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »
Well it was the 50th anniversary of the Easter Jeep Safari this year. I hadn't been down for a few years so I figured I better make this one. Since fuel prices are down I prepped the 1-ton for the trip. Fabbed an onboard shower/water heater to the truck, filled the tires, hooked the Black car to the truck and the camper to the car and away we went.

The Red Rocks 4 Wheel club changed the registration from a paper mail in deal to online. The online thing said the Eagle didn't meet the minimum requirements for even the easiest of trails so we went renegade and wheeled alone. My buddy Tony and his family came over from Montrose Co. and wheeled with us Sat-Sun in his buggy.

We got some strange looks. Similar to what I imagine an interracial couple in the 50's would get.

We wheeled Poison Spider Mesa Sat and Fins-n-Things Sun.

Tony offered me some 31x10.50 IROCs so Mon we headed to Grand Junction to grab them. They will go on Braydens SX/4 when we build it.

Tuesday we did Hells Revenge with another friend who was a great customer when I had Evolution 4x4. He has since moved to Arkansas and goes to the safari every year. We got behind the Safari group.

Will continue later.....must go to work  :(
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Moab 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »
Thanks for the pictures and the update.  Looks like a lot of fun!  I love it out in Moab, but have only gone off road on a two wheel person powered vehicle!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
Wish I could have met you there. Completely forgot about the Easter Jeep Safari until the weekend before. Glad you got to go though. That's dumb that they said the Eagle wasn't rated to go on even a light trail! Crazy! That photo of you going under the fallen rock looks a lot like the trail I took our stock WJ on several months ago. I believe we were on the long canyon trail though. Had a stretch called the Pucker Pass! :)
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
Wish I could have met you there. Completely forgot about the Easter Jeep Safari until the weekend before. Glad you got to go though. That's dumb that they said the Eagle wasn't rated to go on even a light trail! Crazy! That photo of you going under the fallen rock looks a lot like the trail I took our stock WJ on several months ago. I believe we were on the long canyon trail though. Had a stretch called the Pucker Pass! :)

You got it man! That was Pucker Pass!

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »
There was a slight mishap on Hells Revenge with one of the folks in our group. Light layover.

Safari group starting trail.

Wednesday we ran Gold Bar Rim.

There was nobody on the trail when we started, but when we headed back we found a group playing on an optional wall. The lines are, bypass to left, difficult up the middle, and the hardest line, up the right side by the tree. One tubed out Jeep was howling on the wall and finally did make it. The next Jeep started hopping and broke the yoke on his 14 bolt rear axle. I was talking to some guys who were interested in the Eagle, and I mentioned I had been up the wall in the past. They said "REALLY!!!???" I said I would give it a try. Walked it the first attempt!!

There was a Tundra from ICON stuck on the center line.

https://youtu.be/ptSVuKe_2W0

Thursday we ran 7 Mile Rim. I had never done this trail before and LOVED IT!!! Met some guys in a CJ-7 who had never done the trail before so we hung for the trail.

Now for some random shots.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 09:26:17 PM »
I recognize a few of those places when I was out there on my dirt bike. Loved the wall video! These guys think you need to spend thousands of dollars and have 40" tires to have fun.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
Mick, it is nice to see you back here!  Thanks for the update and the great photos!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
So awesome to see the Eagle make easy work of that wall right in front of the big guys! :)

When I did pucker pass in our WJ I did not look at the trail rating before I went. I just thought it was a cut through to get to another road I wanted to be on. I was going up the difficult part and when I got to the top I had no brakes! Vacuum line had come off my brake booster. Luckily it was an easy fix. I have it on video somewhere. I'll have to post it one of these days.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 08:16:34 PM »
So awesome to see the Eagle make easy work of that wall right in front of the big guys! :)

When I did pucker pass in our WJ I did not look at the trail rating before I went. I just thought it was a cut through to get to another road I wanted to be on. I was going up the difficult part and when I got to the top I had no brakes! Vacuum line had come off my brake booster. Luckily it was an easy fix. I have it on video somewhere. I'll have to post it one of these days.

That sounds scary!

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »
Thanks for the pictures and info. Looks like a good time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk