News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 04:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Overhauling Disco front diff: Parts list or references  (Read 40031 times)

Offline The Dark Side of Will

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
  • Too much effort into cars that are too cheap
Re: Overhauling Disco front diff: Parts list or references
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
Of course I was an idiot and left the left output flange and the right bearing retainer at my house after I installed the speedy sleeve to the output flange and painted the bearing retainer.

This is the collection of hardware for the intermediate shaft and right output flange:

Here's the open IMS bearing bore viewed through the disconnect box:

Bearing installed:

Shaft, with its internal bearing, and shift collar installed:

The collar has to slide in through the disco box opening, then the shaft drops down through it. It's awkward, but that's the way they did it.

Now I'm looking for the C-clips... however, they're not typical C-clips. They're more like super heavy duty E-clips... IIRC, they were somewhat spring loaded, which is what kept them in place. I was able to remove them without removing the diff cross-pin, so they weren't what is typically thought of as C-clips.

The C-clip part number is 813 0763, but googling that just turns up my own topic!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:29:43 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »
CarQuest couldn't cross the AMC part number and didn't have a listing for the snap ring.
I swung by a dealer tonight and got the succession of PN's this part has had: AMC 8130763 became Chryco J8130763 which became 4137739 which became 5252775. Of course they don't have any. The counter man was able to give me contact info for a couple different dealerships within a few hundred miles which showed 1 or two in inventory. Before I do that, I tap the endless knowledge of the internet.

Googling these numbers turns up this page:

http://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts-list/1997-jeep-wrangler/front-suspension-drive-differential-front-axle.html

Where the clip appears to be callout #17

While this site doesn't have a photo of the specific part, the combo of the callout in the exploded diagram and the two part numbers the dealership gave me being listed makes me confident enough to put the $5 at risk and order a couple.

A good many of the search results also mention '98 Dodge Dakotas and similar. This appears to be a commonly used, but not commonly replaced, part.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
The clips arrived:

The minor diameter of the groove is 0.868, probably a nominal 0.875 and its width is 0.086. The clips are 0.077 thick.
McMaster PN 98420A157 appears to be *EXACTLY* the part that Dana/Spicer used. They even give the nomenclature for that style of E-ring as "poodle rings". McMaster sells a 10 pack for $8.10, which sure is better pricing than the Jeep aftermarket has.
McMaster link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#98420a157/=12t68c9

This is the LEFT output flange bearing.

This is the right output flange installed:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:24:43 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »
LOL at my luck. This thing just keeps fighting me.

First, with the speedy sleeve the left output flange wouldn't go in all the way, or at least not far enough to install the clip. Originally it went in far enough to contact the cross-pin. I put some feeler gauges in between and came up with 0.054. A machinist my dad knows (a different one this time) *carefully* cut the end of the speedy sleeve back by 0.060". The sleeve is only 0.010" thick, so trying to cut it might have just spun the sleeve on the flange, which would be a bad day and a ruined $27 sleeve.

Here's the result. I'm surprised that the extent of the sleeve is visible:

I tried to install the seal and then drop the flange in, pop in the clip and be done except for the covers, but that was not to be.
The seal I have is the wrong one. After talking with the CarQuest proprietor, we figured out all the right part numbers (AMC & Timken) per the parts diagram and the orignal part mark, but she couldn't get either of them. Besides, none of the dimensions for those parts were right. The seal required is for a 1.375" shaft and 2.440 bore. Neither of the AMC part numbers crossed to a seal with those specs.

I found the Timken seal catalog here: http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/documents/seal-specification-guide.pdf
And was able to look up the diametral specs and find Timken PN 470950, which is the same style #407 as the other two, but made for the right dimensions. One of those will be in tomorrow. I have no idea why the AMC PN's and the original part mark didn't cross to something I can use.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »
Correct PN 470950 seal installed:

Left output flange installed:

Clips installed:

This is how the right output flange bearing retainer bolts need to be torqued (144 inlbs on a 1/4" socket cap!):

And I disassembled and cleaned the disco housing cover and servo. The servo diaphragm shell is bent and the shaft shaft scrapes like it has a bunch of rust and trash in it. It held vacuum when we started playing with it, but now doesn't, so now I'm in the hunt for a new actuator.
I haven't done a lot of research yet, but I don't know if the AMC Eagle actuator is the same as the one used on Jeeps. It wasn't much longer after Chrysler bought AMC that Jeeps with disconnects started using an electric switch to verify the position of the disconnect. The AMC system is entirely vacuum operated. The 2WD/AWD switch inside the vehicle is simply a valve that applies vacuum to the axle disconnect actuator. The stem of that actuator includes a valve that opens when the actuator reaches its end position. That second valve applies vacuum to the transfer case 2WD/AWD selector servo, so the axle engages before the T-case does. In the Jeeps, the vacuum servo operates (I *@$$ume* via a solenoid valve) and the position switch indicates when the servo has done its job, presumably enabling another solenoid to operate the T-case servo. I don't *think* Jeeps had axle disconnects before Chrysler took over, so I'm not expecting to find Jeep parts to replace the AMC part. I may need to convert to the later Jeep electro-vacuum system due to parts availability.

Eagle's Den forum topics on the actuator:
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=39361.0
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=37665.0
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=40936.0 (I replied in 2013?)

The Dorman 600-200 actuator is for Cherokees and such, but Dorman may have a replacement Eagle actuator for me to find: http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=28487&SEName=600-200

A thread showing bits of another 4.0 swap: http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-eagle-front-axle-diff-cover-removal_topic42455.html

Comparison between Jeep and Eagle disco covers: http://wiki.amcevolution.com/index.php/Front_Axle_Lock
If the covers aren't the same depth, then I may not be able to swap the Jeep parts right on like I was hoping... Do I want to extend the shift fork if the Jeep cover is deeper than the Eagle cover?

Reasonably cool video of an Eagle SX/4 in action. He still has the independent front suspension for the first half of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXC5IUOdFk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:39:43 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
Here's the later model Jeep axle disconnect actuator next to the Eagle actuator. The 4 port Eagle actuator includes a secondary valve which connects the two ports on the shank once the actuator hits the end of its travel and the axle is connected.
The Jeep actuator connects the port on the shank to the vacuum applied to the gold side of the diaphragm when connecting the axle... so it does exactly the same thing as the Eagle actuator, except with one fewer hose.
Both actuators break the connection to the "output" port on the shank when the actuator retracts to disconnect the axle, by putting vacuum to the plastic end cap over the diaphragm.

And the Jeep actuator went together with the Eagle disco housing cover and shift fork just as well as stock.

Here's the dern thing installed while I fill the pumpkin with 3 pints of 80W90 Amsoil synthetic gear oil

Gear oil:

WTF? The ratio tag doesn't fit anymore:

I didn't grab a pic of it tonight, but the diff is all buttoned back up and hanging off the side of the engine like it should. I'm stoked that's finally in place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:35:44 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2016, 11:06:08 PM »
hi, good work! Let us know how the Jeep vac disconnect actually works. You may have found a solution to a longstanding Eagle problem. When I repaired my first Eagle, waaaay back in the mid 90s. The vac disconnect motors were still available, so I bought one of each, and even then, they were not cheap, about $125./each. good luck, gz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2018, 06:53:07 PM »
Do Eagle Dana 30's have 27 spline side gears?

I'm about to order an Eaton E-Locker and want to make sure I have the right part.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
Hi All --

After reading this thread and several Jeep Dana 30 pinion seal replacement articles online, I had a question regarding changing the front pinion seal on our Dana 30 IFS axles.

For my situation, I have no reason to remove the diff. case or pinion as the bearings are fine, just want to replace the pinion seal.

If there is no crush sleeve or spacers to worry about as this thread mentioned (12/25/2015), do I count the unused threads on the pinion and mark the nut, pinion and yoke during disassembly, then ensure that these marks line up again when retorqueing the nut back down to spec. after the pinion seal is replaced?

I would have loved to have started this as a new topic but the CleanTalk filter seemed to have a problem with something I’d typed above and wouldn’t let me post.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts --
David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
Great and informative thread.
As for the clean talk spam filter. I will start a separate thread specifically for that issue.
But for now I do think helps more than hurts.
Taylor
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline derf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
    • My Gear Ratio Calculator
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
Hi All --

After reading this thread and several Jeep Dana 30 pinion seal replacement articles online, I had a question regarding changing the front pinion seal on our Dana 30 IFS axles.

For my situation, I have no reason to remove the diff. case or pinion as the bearings are fine, just want to replace the pinion seal.

If there is no crush sleeve or spacers to worry about as this thread mentioned (12/25/2015), do I count the unused threads on the pinion and mark the nut, pinion and yoke during disassembly, then ensure that these marks line up again when retorqueing the nut back down to spec. after the pinion seal is replaced?

I would have loved to have started this as a new topic but the CleanTalk filter seemed to have a problem with something I’d typed above and wouldn’t let me post.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts --
David

Every time I replace a pinion seal, I break out the torque wrench and torque the nut back to spec.  That's the single best way to be sure you get the right preload on the bearings.  Doing it any other way has the potential to be way off.
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/D44HD/D60FF
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/D44/D44
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4 spd Atlas/D30/D44

My gear ratio calculator

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 09:25:52 AM »

"Every time I replace a pinion seal, I break out the torque wrench and torque the nut back to spec.  That's the single best way to be sure you get the right preload on the bearings.  Doing it any other way has the potential to be way off. -- derf"

Thanks for your reply!  :)

So there are no crush sleeves or spacers to worry about replacing to set the preload since I'm not removing the pinion/diff. case, correct? 

I was under the impression from looking around online that some Dana 30s did have the crush sleeves that *could* require replacement, but it doesn't seem to be the case for our Eagle differentials...

Thank you!

David

1968 Ambassador 287

Offline derf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
    • My Gear Ratio Calculator
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »

"Every time I replace a pinion seal, I break out the torque wrench and torque the nut back to spec.  That's the single best way to be sure you get the right preload on the bearings.  Doing it any other way has the potential to be way off. -- derf"

Thanks for your reply!  :)

So there are no crush sleeves or spacers to worry about replacing to set the preload since I'm not removing the pinion/diff. case, correct? 

I was under the impression from looking around online that some Dana 30s did have the crush sleeves that *could* require replacement, but it doesn't seem to be the case for our Eagle differentials...

Thank you!

David

I don't believe they switched to a crush sleeve until well after the Eagle was discontinued.  I did have one on my 2012 Wrangler but that's a completely redesigned differential.

However, even if it does have a crush sleeve, the torque spec isn't enough to crush it any more than it's already been crushed.  You have to put a good 250-300 ft-lbs or more to get the sleeve to crush.  The torque spec for the pinion nut comes in well below that for the pinion nut once you have the preload dialed in.

In fact, when I did the gear swap on the Wrangler, we disassembled and reassembled it to finish it up after crushing the sleeve.  We used the old pinion nut from the other gear set to crush the sleeve.  Took that off, put the pinion seal in and used the new pinion nut to finish it.  Torqued it to spec and the preload was just about exactly the same.

Get a good torque wrench, torque it to spec.

It helps to have a big pipe wrench on the pinion yoke to hold it in place while you're torquing the nut.
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/D44HD/D60FF
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/D44/D44
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4 spd Atlas/D30/D44

My gear ratio calculator

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
Awesome, no problem on using a torque wrench.

And thanks for the responses derf, I appreciate it!

David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk