News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 06:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.2 really that underpowered?  (Read 8611 times)

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
4.2 really that underpowered?
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
My 87 Eagle with the straight 6, neutered and with a 2100 Motorcraft carb  (jetting is best selected for this altitude) has little if any reserve power. Ignition advance is per formula taking altitude into account.   Granted, @ 7300' altitude in New Mexico you see few Eagles soaring that high (real or otherwise.)  I've found that letting it warm up for at least 5-8 minutes is necessary for any reasonable stoplight getaway, and it'll do 85 MPH downhill on the freeway!  I guess the question is, does anyone have any tips on squeezing an extra few horses from the engine?   Mileage on the car is about 154000, no smoking and when warm idles great.  MPG varies but being mostly highway,  is between 18-222 depending on weight of right foot.    I primarily use it for heavy snow days and boy, does she love that!   It'd just be great to have a little more "oomph" climbing those hills outside Albuquerque on the way home.  :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
Re: 4.2 really that underpowered?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
222 MPG? man I wanna get in on that action.  I don't know anything, but I'd be interested in this too.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
Auto transmission? They are pretty anemic. The high axle gearing and a very mild camshaft are probably the major reasons they seem underpowered. My first Eagle, an 81 wagon with a manual 4 speed, seemed a bit quicker than my 86 automatic. Installing a 4.0l head and a different camshaft made a world of difference on my 86. I've also installed 3.08 gearing, but plan to go to 3.55's since I've installed an AW4 transmission.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »
Any smog stuff still active on it?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
Would you believe.....22 point 2?  :amc:  Lets mark that up to fat fingers.  And no, no emission systems are active.  The neutering was very successful .  :amc:  I'd consider the head swap, but as little as I use it, I can deal with an extended warm-up and lackluster power.  BUT IT SURE TACKLES THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
Sounds like you haven't advanced the timing to account for the higher altitude? Maybe the mechanical advance in the dist is sticking? Vacuum advance blown out? Loose intake to head bolts?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »
I tried a lot of stuff with my 87 Eagle to get it more power. Finally changed out the CAT and muffler! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! MUCH faster acceleration and faster passing power.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:54:26 AM »
I know this is old, but I found that with the old 258, in Eagles or Jeeps, an upgrade to the ignition system is hands down the easiest and best upgrade to it that can be done.

The 258 was mostly low end torque, and there are ways to get it to perform better.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:50:30 AM by Nightpath »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk