News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 04:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Shock Mount for Eye to Stem shocks  (Read 2160 times)

Offline bottomfeeder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Front Shock Mount for Eye to Stem shocks
« on: July 26, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
I have been repairing and replacing a lot of suspension stuff the past few weeks and that included front shocks.  I put a lift on it front and rear, but with the new height up front I wasn't able to find shocks that would work and I didn't want to use shock extenders so I build a shock mount that will allow me to use eye/stem shocks instead of the stock mounting option.  I got the inspiration from looking at bar pin eliminator kits that are made for jeeps, but I couldn't find anything that would work for my Eagle.  If these do exist already and are available for purchase I will probably kick myself because I went brain dead while making these and couldn't seem to get the hole spacing right (third time's a charm) which caused me to have to go out and buy more metal and lose an entire day of work on this project.  I haven't installed them on the car but I mocked them up to make sure all the hardware fit and nothing was in the way of the springs and everything looked good.  I'll be sure to take more pics once they are on the car.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:38:58 PM by bottomfeeder »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Front Shock Mount for Eye to Stem shocks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
Looks good anyway. I have used with success shock extensions. I cut the tip off the shock so threads are immediate. Shocks are not really able to twist much if any.

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:58:51 PM »
Looks pretty nice.  Have you decided which brand/part number of shock you're going to use with them?
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline bottomfeeder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 01:05:29 AM »
Up front I'm looking at either the Rancho RS5372 or the Rancho RS5606. 

The specs for each shock if it helps anybody in their search for an alternative to the stock options:

Rancho RS5606
Compressed - 9.7"
Extended - 15.0"
Lower Mount - LS38
Upper Mount - S4
Travel - 5.13"

Rancho RS5372
Compressed - 10.27"
Extended - 15.4"
Lower Mount - LS38
Upper Mount - S4
Travel - 5.3"