News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front wheel bearing assembly experiment  (Read 5883 times)

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Front wheel bearing assembly experiment
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:50:38 AM »
Hi all,

In the face of sense and reason, I've decided to order a set of these:

http://www.primechoice.com/Auto/Wheels-Tires-Parts/Wheel-Hubs-Bearings/HB613091PR?keywords=1997+Eagle+Vision&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6-PJBRCO_br1qoOB4LABEiQAEkqcVSQ5h3i3848Br30QlznhUJtlQvHuI-iEFT2Rqp0tiGEaArga8P8HAQ

I really don't expect these to fit, but they look so :censored: close I couldn't help myself and rolled the dice for $50.  They should arrive within a week and I'll stand a chance of figuring out whether the "eagle" vision actually used an assembly that was close enough to spare us the pain of rebuilding hubs. If someone has already looked into this (I didn't see anything to that effect), feel free to spare me the suspense. Otherwise, I'll update this thread to let you know what I found out.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Front wheel bearing assembly experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:02:57 AM »
Good luck. It would be a miracle if they were the same. The Eagle Vision is basically the same as a few other Chrysler vehicles and doesn't share anything with the AMC Eagle. Looking forward to your findings.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:08 AM »
the hub looks like it is available don't know if this helps (https://www.crownautomotive.net/search.html)
part number J3238526

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
I'd seen the hubs for sale (though not that specific page; thanks!), but really what I was dreaming of was a preassembled, swap'n'go assembly that didn't require buying a number of different components, rebuilding bearings, etc. I'm working on a gremlin restoration that demands nearly all of my time, so while I'm willing to do maintenance work on the eagle (my daily driver), the time to do the front wheels on the eagle is a bit more of an investment with more downtime than I prefer. I doubt I'll find them to be a direct replacement, but boy, wouldn't it be nice?

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
Looks like the curiosity rotors are being delivered today, which is a few days ahead of schedule. I'm hoping to do a cursory visual comparison this evening. I'll update the thread with pictures if I manage to get that done before tomorrow.

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »
I'm always interested in stuff like this, it helps flesh out the equivalency tables that we have between our Eagles and other cars. 

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 11:53:02 PM »
Work has kept me from doing anything but the most general and basic comparisons so far- mostly bolt spacing and dimensions I can get at without pulling the wheel off.

I'm looking to verify spline count before taking anything off, but aside from that, things are looking good. I've noted some differences in the inner ring, but nothing that I expect to cause a problem. I'll have pictures and further details before the weekend is through.

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »
Not much report, but I uploaded a couple pictures here:

https://m.imgur.com/a/BzJYk

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
Heres some quick reference photos of a hub off my '81

https://goo.gl/photos/H7oK47T5A6vTJTdd8

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
knobbler,

Did you have luck getting those hubs to work?  I am very interested in this solution...

Thanks,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline Senor_taco

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • If I replace every part its a new car right?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »
I'd also like to know if these work. I've got a 1980 2 door sport that apparently loves the taste of bearings since it keeps eating them on the front passenger side.
1972 Buick skylark custom convertible
1980 AMC eagle 2 door sport

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:25 PM »
Knobbler has there been any update to this? I would love to know.

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 06:37:04 AM »
Ugh, I'm sorry I left this hanging and that it took me so long to respond!  I completely forgot that I had started this thread in the madness of doing my front bearings shortly after.  The short answer is, no, they aren't a fit at all.  I don't have the hub assemblies anymore, but there were a number of show stoppers.  If I recall, one of them being a different spline count.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk