News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:14:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what to do with my eagle motor and vacuum system  (Read 11842 times)

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
what to do with my eagle motor and vacuum system
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
I have an 83 eagle that a bought a new 4.2 motor for.  It has an automatic transmission, AC, cruse control and a rats nest of vacuum holes.  My new long block came with the head and its for the 79-80 model but I have the new valve cover needed.  Looking for a simple daily driver.  So my question is what changes can should I make.  I can do some work but I be having a shop do most.  I also picked up a Weber carb and CRT performance HEI distributor from ebay.  The distributor in new the weber is used.  The vacuum and car has been screwed with a lot.  Also the car will not have to pass any emissions tests.

I don't mind putting a bit of money in to it but I did already buy the long block.  Whats a good carb, distributor, and any other stuff to use/do?  Thanks

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: what to do with my eagle motor and vacuum system
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
First make sure that motor has the same mounts for your front axel. So compare your motor mount points between them.

Manitowoc WI

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
I have heard from people who put a weber on their cars and jeeps and hated it because they are a son of a gun to keep tuned, I was told that if i was thinking of a weber to ditch that plain and go straight for a MC 2100 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
If you want my advice on the vacume lines. rip it all out! Just have the necesities coverered and don't worry about anything else. I've removed vacume lines on probibly close to half a dozen eagles and all of them ran much smoother without the plastic rats nest that is the vacume lines. if you like I could probibly even get a picture of my SX/4 and how I routed the lines on that to give you a refrence point on what can be taken off without having to trace every bloody line.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
I have heard from people who put a weber on their cars and jeeps and hated it because they are a son of a gun to keep tuned, I was told that if i was thinking of a weber to ditch that plain and go straight for a MC 2100 

What needs to be changed to use a MC2100?  looks like the Weber is staying in the box I don't want to have to screw with it all the time.

ETA found the adapter kit  ;D to use the 2100 link removed -- folks will have to do their own search there.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:31:26 PM by IowaEagle »

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »
If you want my advice on the vacume lines. rip it all out! Just have the necesities coverered and don't worry about anything else. I've removed vacume lines on probibly close to half a dozen eagles and all of them ran much smoother without the plastic rats nest that is the vacume lines. if you like I could probibly even get a picture of my SX/4 and how I routed the lines on that to give you a refrence point on what can be taken off without having to trace every bloody line.

I would Love to rip all of it out I just worry I will rip something I need out.  I do not care about the cruse control or anything really I had a 82 for a bit and it was clean and simple under the hood.  Thats what I want my 83 to look like.  My lines have been mixed up and screwed with by more people then just me  :'(

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
 ETA ...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:26:37 PM by madmax4x4 »

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »
there is a link floating around of an eb*y seller that sells a complete kit to put a MC 2100 on an eagle even with the correct throttle linkage.  soon to fallow, a link to that thread
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
here it is http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=33188.0;topicseen

Thanks found it.  Anyone have the instructions for the install and know what all I can remove?

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »
i beileve the seller provides everything you will need and answers all questions on it ...... I think he even says that he will install for you if your in his area
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 03:53:48 PM »
First make sure that motor has the same mounts for your front axel. So compare your motor mount points between them.
Man I hope I didn't buy the wrong motor.  What am I looking for with the front axle mounts?

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »
Here is a link to a thread with a modified vacuum diagram.  http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=8109.0  This digram was drawn for the Carter BBD, but can be easily changed to accommodate the MC2100 and covers the basics with no smog control devices.  Also, here is a picture of my engine with the MC2100 and the GM HEI setup.

The last picture shows the HEI peeking out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
That's what I want  ;D  I talked to a local jeep shop today and the guy wants to use a holley 2 barrel not a Motorcraft 2100 for some reason would that be OK.  From what I have read everyone likes the 2100 but the mechanic that will be doing my swap.  :-\

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »
If you look closely at the 2 carbs you will see that they look very much alike.  On some of the MC21XX models, you may even find a Holley stamp on the body of the carb.

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 07:58:44 PM »
If you look closely at the 2 carbs you will see that they look very much alike.  On some of the MC21XX models, you may even find a Holley stamp on the body of the carb.

So it's not that one is more reliable or "easier" then the other?  If the holley is almost the same thing from a MC2100 I shouldn't try to talk him in to using the MC2100?  I know the guy on ebay sell's the MC2100 with all the adapter stuff, will I need the same for the Holley or is it a mass produced after market adapter for the Holley?  Thanks

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
if it where me I'd go with the seller on the bay for everything ..... he has sold TONS of those kits.  Plus your the one footing the bill for all of this so it should be up to YOU what goes on your car.  I work in a body shop for a living and when someone tells me they want pink car i can't just paint it red because that's what i want to do.  You might be better off looking for a new mechanic who wants to be paid to build an eagle for you   
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:32 AM »
In my opinion, the MC2100 carbs are easier to find, in that they are in junkyards every where.  They are much cheaper to source parts for.  I really don't think you will see much performance improvement with the Holley over the MC2100 on a 6 cylinder engine.  If you were to ask me about the difference for a V8, I would probably go Holley though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk