News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auxilary Backup Lights  (Read 7769 times)

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Auxilary Backup Lights
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
Anybody add additional backup lights to their Eagle?  The stock ones on a Kammback are useless, especially since I tinted the rear window.  The fact that I added the third brake light, which isn't flush again the rear window and therefore reflects back into the cabin doesn't help.  I'd be interested to hear what people might have used for this application.  Thanks.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: Auxilary Backup Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
Same kind of idea like Kirsten said..
I know I've several 'under bumper' mount super bright LED reverse lights.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:28:54 AM »
You can get fancy with em and run a pair of good quality off road (usually forward facing) off road lights by the likes of Hella or KC, or just got to the local tractor supply type place and get some tractor floods . . .or get fancy and get some LED reverse lights for a commercial truck, or heck, I've even grabbed a set of tiny(like 1.5") round white LED bait livewell lights from Academy Sports store(would look really nice frenched into the factory Eagle AL bumper). Run yer own wirin with a switch, or tie into the factory backups and run a fresh power relay. I've even installed a set of Bimmer high beams in a pair of off-road round light mounts to use a auxiliary lights(those were facin forward). I prefer sealed beam stuff, because humidity and rusty reflectors suck. I've used a sealed-beam Cessna landing light as a backup light that would give you a sunburn 8).
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:53:41 AM »
I have some extra bright halogen bulbs 1156 type.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:27:04 AM »
I've used a sealed-beam Cessna landing light as a backup light that would give you a sunburn 8).

Sir, I think you just gave me an idea for my off road lights >:D Cheers! :occasion14:
i can see it now your out offroading and all of a sudden you hear "LOOK OUT LOW FLYING PLANE IT'S GOING TO CRASH!!!!!!!! oh wait never mind it's a crazy person in a station wagon." :rotfl:
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »
You can get fancy with em and run a pair of good quality off road (usually forward facing) off road lights by the likes of Hella or KC,

KC seems to have a nice one that would work.  I could fab up a couple brackets that could attach to the slot in the back of the bumper so I wouldn't have to drill anything.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/kc_26series.htm

1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 45
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
Sir, I think you just gave me an idea for my off road lights >:D Cheers! :occasion14:
i can see it now your out offroading and all of a sudden you hear "LOOK OUT LOW FLYING PLANE IT'S GOING TO CRASH!!!!!!!! oh wait never mind it's a crazy person in a station wagon." :rotfl:

I think you just described my buddy in his YJ perfectly! The guys were a good half hour up the trail, & we caught up to them in five minutes. (and you thought a YJ rode harsh on pavement? o_O oy! :P )
let me guess you needed a new spine after that.

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 45
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »

I think you just described my buddy in his YJ perfectly! The guys were a good half hour up the trail, & we caught up to them in five minutes. (and you thought a YJ rode harsh on pavement? o_O oy! :P )
let me guess you needed a new spine after that.

haha Pretty much, yeah. New spine, kidneys, liver, intestines, stomach.... ::) Didn't help that both rear shocks were basically gone - on had broken the lower mount, & the other just didn't absorb the bumps anymore
:o wow that sounds like Eagle Eyes at one point.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »
I was told by the guy I bought it from that it was a "Cessna" light. Who knows what it really was. Wish I had a pic of it. It got smashed on the trail long ago. I suppose it could have been for a marine application. It ran on 12V very well, and the sealed beam was marked "12V". It died when I slid back into a rock ledge, which also bent my YJ's tailgate. No more spare tire on the tailgate since I went to 35's, but there's still a wire back there and a switch in the dash . . I miss that light. It had a perfect reflector and was a really focused spotlight. I couldn't find a replacement sealed beam for it back when it got dead, and gave up looking.

Back on topic, I think a couple of sealed LED backup lamps from a trailer/commercial truck application could be very nicely frenched into the AL rear bumper of an Eagle . . that is, if you don't mind cutting into the stock bumper of yer bird.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
Back on topic, I think a couple of sealed LED backup lamps from a trailer/commercial truck application could be very nicely frenched into the AL rear bumper of an Eagle . . that is, if you don't mind cutting into the stock bumper of yer bird.

I like the idea, but I try to avoid cutting into my bird whenever I can.  I think hanging a unit like I showed before off of the back bumper using the slot in back will work pretty well and look like they belong there.  Thanks.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
You may want to make sure that you can unplug and remove it easily. Here in PA I believe they have to be functioning and switched with the normal lights to pass inspection. It may just be easier to pop them off if you have similar regulations.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
Thanks Ben.  We don't have inspections in CO but I always like to keep in mind the reversibility of mods like this.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »
txjeeptx & mernsy,

That's a common misconception.  Cessna, and in fact all general aviation aircraft run off either 14v or 28v different models use each(there are rare exceptions, but they are like the early bugs that ram 6V, an annomoly).  The 14v system is actually the same as an auto system, as the alternator is typically rated at 13.8V-14.35V(there are LOTS of old Chrysler & newer Nippondenso alternators on GA planes). 

In the aviation community they refer to the running/charging voltage whereas the automotive refers to battery voltage.  The 28v system is usually a pair of 14V in series, though 28v batteries do also exist, and the alternator is just regulated differently & has more windings.   

Doc
(Pilot with somewhere well in excess of 3000hrs in the left seat)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
That's definitely true of the larger stuff, while I was in the USAF that's about all we had, usually a -60 which put out 28V DC as well as 3 phase AC and bleed air for starting turbines, but the one time that a private pilot "got lost" and put his private plane down on the base and then forgot to kill all the electronics when surrounded by security police it killed the battery and since "someone" had to fly it off the base & his ticket was suspended I got tasked.  We jumped it with the SP's Jeep Cherokee, started right up, got the alternator energized and the battery charging.  Completed pre-flight & flew it some 50 miles back to the local GA airport.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk